Sponsored by:

Warranty Claim Denied; any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:00 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Small Claims Court would be a waste of time. You would have to prove that the crack was caused by a defective part, which will be a tough challenge for you. Porsche could simply state that in their opinion the damage was caused by the impact of a stone.

In gray areas like this, you have to depend on Porsche "good will". As a four decade Porsche owner, my experience is that if you have established a good relationship with your dealer, then they will be your advocate to Porsche, and chances are that it would be covered.

Let me suggest a compromise. Agree to pay for the labor but request that Porsche provide the replacement part at no charge to you.
You make great points but Im going to counter with all due respect, no attack intended.
The time and cost to file is rather cheap in most places if you do the paper work yourself, carry it to the clerk then pay to have them served. List the costs of taking the action in what you pray to recover. Some people hope that its not worth the defendants time to show in court so its a summary win.
You shouldnt need to show that the part was defective(IMHO), only that it is NOT a consumable/wear and tear item and that it should be included in the bump2bump warranty. (Gonna be hard to do on an exterior part exposed to flying objects) The OP may try and reproduce possible body flex that can be suggested to cause the problem or small variance between cars/that part that may cause this, then it becomes a fit and finish issue.
As far as establishing a relationship we know that goes both ways and impossible to map a "how-to" these days. My impression from reading here (skewed I know) are that dealer MGRs just dont give an F. Maybe to people that buy 2-3 P-cars a year EVERY year. It appears they use a fear factor like any discout or allocation promises to get the buyer to spend, all we can do is threaten to walk away but the dealers have the idea that there will be another guy here tomorrow whose Amex card is just as black as yours. That brings us to our only other point of recourse other than throwing a brick through their window.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I really hope some day I see this case on Judge Judy. It would be really interesting to hear what she had to say on the matter.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I really hope some day I see this case on Judge Judy. It would be really interesting to hear what she had to say on the matter.
Ha, Ha, Ha. I am sure Porsche would not want to be exposed by Judge Judy - how embarrassing would that be
Old 11-01-2015, 07:30 AM
GN2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Porsche" and "crackheads" in the same paragraph

Originally Posted by STG991
Picture? Which dealer?

"They're like crack heads. Just looking for the next day's fix without worrying about repeat loyal customers and future sales. Not all dealers, but I'd say 70% of P dealers.
"

Ouch.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:26 AM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got a call from PCNA yesterday saying they're investigating why the repair was denied and they're going to speak to all parties; dealer, regional mgmt, etc. fingers crossed.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Fasttoys1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cosmetic warranty claims with most manufactures can go either way. If it was emissions issue it would have been resolved already (VW is not going to mess with the EPA lol). If you keep calling Porsche you should eventually win. Try & build a strong relationship with the service manager (this goes a long way) Many years ago: M6 V10 blew up at a dyno event (36k claim) and was covered under warranty no questions asked thanks to SM relationship. Wish you good luck.

Last edited by Fasttoys1; 11-03-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:22 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Verinnal
Just got a call from PCNA yesterday saying they're investigating why the repair was denied and they're going to speak to all parties; dealer, regional mgmt, etc. fingers crossed.
They must read this forum.

Hopefully, they'll come to their senses.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:26 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Wait until the next recession and see how they'll be scrambling for sales. It's not too far off.
I agree with all that you wrote except for this. The recession doesn't (didn't) affect the typical Porsche buyer to the extent that it markedly impacted sales. At least not around here.

Originally Posted by LexVan
I don't think a comprehensive claim would affect your rate. Collision yes.
Mostly wrong, LV. Dang it, I've warned you guys about dispensing advice about insurance! Laws vary in every state.

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Your warranty is with PCNA, not the dealer. ... So you're suing the wrong entity.

I surprised the dealer didn't go ahead and just replace the $200 part for you
I agree on both points.

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
The time and cost to file is rather cheap in most places if you do the paper work yourself, carry it to the clerk then pay to have them served.
Good point, except that I'll bet that most of us make enough money that the time spent taking off work, driving to the court house, parking, "carrying it" to the clerk, waiting for the clerk, filing the paper, then going back to the parking lot, driving to the Sheriff's office and parking and then waiting and then paying them to serve the papers and then walking back to the parking lot and driving back to work and then repeating all of that travel again for the court appearance itself is going to take a heck of a lot more time than a couple of hundred bucks will cover. Unless you're retired, natch.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Ironically, I received a survey about my service experience and I filled it out truthfully giving merits where they were due, but being brutally honest about all of the issues I ran into when working with the service manager. One thing I failed to mention in my earlier posts was taht one day when I dropped by unannounced, I found my rear wing/spoiler assembly, with painted parts, lying on the concrete garage floor. I put all of this into the service survey and within two hours today the service manager called me and left me a voice mail telling me he needed to speak with me and wanted to discuss my outstanding issues.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

We live in deer, pothole and ignorant "parking lot driver" country, so I can tell you categorically that filing comprehensive claims has not raised our insurance rates one $.

I've been down this road with PCNA on a MAJOR repair (5 figures) on my 997s. Your dealer's service managers have more influence on the Regional Reps than you would imagine. They were instrumental in getting my situation resolved amicably.

It pays to cultivate relationships not only with your salesperson, but with your service advisor, service managers and, if possible, the dealer principal.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

$200? Go start a "Fundme page"
Old 11-03-2015, 06:07 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Ironically, I received a survey about my service experience and I filled it out truthfully giving merits where they were due, but being brutally honest about all of the issues I ran into when working with the service manager. One thing I failed to mention in my earlier posts was taht one day when I dropped by unannounced, I found my rear wing/spoiler assembly, with painted parts, lying on the concrete garage floor. I put all of this into the service survey and within two hours today the service manager called me and left me a voice mail telling me he needed to speak with me and wanted to discuss my outstanding issues.
It's always a fine line to walk when dealing with SAs and SMs. You want to stay on their good side and not give them less than full marks, but if substandard performance goes unreported it most likely won't get corrected.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Generally speaking, I typically give service depts flawless marks regardless of whether or not they earned it. In this case I felt justified in being honest since they denied a repair. Tomorrow PCNA should be getting back to me.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:25 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Generally speaking, I typically give service depts flawless marks regardless of whether or not they earned it. In this case I felt justified in being honest since they denied a repair. Tomorrow PCNA should be getting back to me.
About 15 years ago the driver's seat of my wife's Lexus LS 400 became discolored, undoubtedly from the numerous times that she drove it after playing tennis matches. I advised her to point out the discoloration to the SA, and he immediately agreed to replace the leather on the seat under warranty and an appointment was made. A few hours after my wife dropped off her car, the SA called to apologize that he would require her Lexus another day. Apparently the new leather on the driver's seat did not perfectly match the leather on the passenger seat, so he decided to replace both of them. I can't exactly recall the labor and leather costs, but it was very substantial.

I expect that Lexus's focus on customer satisfaction is one of the primary reasons that the brand has done so well over the past two decades.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
About 15 years ago the driver's seat of my wife's Lexus LS 400 became discolored, undoubtedly from the numerous times that she drove it after playing tennis matches. I advised her to point out the discoloration to the SA, and he immediately agreed to replace the leather on the seat under warranty and an appointment was made. A few hours after my wife dropped off her car, the SA called to apologize that he would require her Lexus another day. Apparently the new leather on the driver's seat did not perfectly match the leather on the passenger seat, so he decided to replace both of them. I can't exactly recall the labor and leather costs, but it was very substantial.

I expect that Lexus's focus on customer satisfaction is one of the primary reasons that the brand has done so well over the past two decades.
I have had two Lexus and the service they provided were outstanding. I remembered one time I brought in the car for software update with quarter a tank gas left. When I picked up the car, it was full.

Quick Reply: Warranty Claim Denied; any suggestions