Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattles, creaks and squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 01:19 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

every 911 I have owned since 1987 has a had a few rattles and squeaks now or eventually ..has been that way since my first one in 1987 ..most have been tolerated and eventually your brains tune them out

I read somewhere a few yrs ago that it is due to a chassis / body construction layout that was developed 55 yrs ago and so its tire patch control may have to be stiffer vs newer competition such as carbon fiber tub based car as an axample ..and that may lead to more harmonic " noises " in the cabin

best new school vs old school example : notice how reviewers remark how " soft " and compliant the McLaren suspension feels during straight ahead driving but corners like a bat out of hell

for seat of pants and track grins when pressing on , either way is fine and many actually prefer a " firmer " feeling car ...but like I said ...regarding rattles in daily driving ....you cant have everything..esp now that modern 911s have loads of " premium " features requiring ever more potential- rubbing wiring harnesses, plugs, motors and control modules hidden hither and yon behind panels inside the passenger cell and problem worsens as the weight goes up since susp must keep up ....a viscious cycle !

Last edited by MKW; 10-30-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:06 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 1100 miles on my GTS and when I"m on the freeway I hear what sounds like a mini, dime-sized tambourine rattling at high pitch coming from what seems like the passenger seatbelt/b pillar area. anyone had that one? other than that, no other rattles just yet..
Old 12-15-2015, 03:48 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

We love our Porsches - three in the last 19 months. 13 Boxster S (traded), a 2012.5 C2s cab (binned), and now a 2014 C2s cab. The C4s is the most noise-free of the lot but these are the most buzzy, tinkly, clicky cars we've ever owned. The local dealer has been great; but if I didn't love driving them so much I'd seriously consider leaving the brand. How can a company that engineers such excellent driving machines not get it when it comes to interior noises on cars this costly?

A good dealer with the right technician will work wonders but it just shouldn't be necessary.

Oh well, off to plan the next set of tours!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:37 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a rattle from my passenger rear window, which the dealer tightened up, and then another coming from the driver dash speaker, which they said was actually from the suspension and also fixed. Then there was a clunk which turned out to be a stone caught in the PDCC mechanism.

There were still intermittent rattles on bumps though, which I realised were the seatbelt buckles knocking against plastic. Solution - drive with all seatbelts buckled up. Made a massive difference!

Quick Reply: Rattles, creaks and squeaks