how easy to add Sport PASM to stock PASM

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:11 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how easy to add Sport PASM to stock PASM

Rennlisters---

How much would it cost to take a stock PASM 911 CS and get the Lowered Look of the Sport PASM?

Just a simple Spring swap?

Cheers
Old 10-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts

I am interested in this as well ... see the below thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8305...m-to-pasm.html

It seems as if the springs, sway bars, and front lip are the hardware differences. What I don't think has been confirmed are the software changes. For example, we know the rear spoiler raises to a higher angle on SPASM cars.

What I would like to know is if the dampers are re-programmable to account for the stiffer springs, as I imagine they would need different response rates. I would think they would be the same damper with different software/calibration to save on production cost (we are talking about a 10 mm difference here), but I talked to someone at Suncoast and they said people were changing out the dampers as well to make sure they got the full benefit (I assume this means there is a different part number in the PET for SPASM dampers - can anyone confirm?). Of course this dramatically increases the cost of the mod. And this implies that the calibration changes are resident in the damper itself (different SW in the damper, or does the car sense a SPASM damper has been attached and acts accordingly?).

However if all you cared about was the look, I imagine you could add the springs and lip and call it a day.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:29 PM
elitex
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

I am interested in this as well. Do we know the costs?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxhouse97
I am interested in this as well ... see the below thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8305...m-to-pasm.html

It seems as if the springs, sway bars, and front lip are the hardware differences. What I don't think has been confirmed are the software changes. For example, we know the rear spoiler raises to a higher angle on SPASM cars.

What I would like to know is if the dampers are re-programmable to account for the stiffer springs, as I imagine they would need different response rates. I would think they would be the same damper with different software/calibration to save on production cost (we are talking about a 10 mm difference here), but I talked to someone at Suncoast and they said people were changing out the dampers as well to make sure they got the full benefit (I assume this means there is a different part number in the PET for SPASM dampers - can anyone confirm?). Of course this dramatically increases the cost of the mod. And this implies that the calibration changes are resident in the damper itself (different SW in the damper, or does the car sense a SPASM damper has been attached and acts accordingly?).

However if all you cared about was the look, I imagine you could add the springs and lip and call it a day.
AFIAK the dampers themselves are not "smart" (i.e no code resides in them)
PASM consists of a central control module, and I believe an individual controller for each shock.

I think a first step would be to check PET to see which of these parts have the same p/n and which do not.

Another route to go would be to go with an aftermarket (or OEM) spring and the TPC Racing DSC module. (I plan to do this shortly)
Old 10-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm looking at KW coil overs for my car. KW also has a set of springs with an adjustable collar, similar to a coil over, that they make for the 991. They make them for both PASM and standard dampers at about half the cost of coil overs. I'm leaning toward the coil overs.
I'd be interested to see the price of the SPASM conversion.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:31 PM
elitex
Instructor

What do you guys think about the billstein PSS10 DampTronic?

The Bilstein B16 DampTronic kit is designed to integrate directly with the exclusive Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) system. This coilover system of monotube shock absorbers has been fine-tuned to produce the finest performance possible from the car's electronically controlled suspension module. The threaded body additionally allows for adjustable lowered vehicle ride height of 30mm to 50mm. Bilstein's patented Triple-C-Technology coating ensures long-lasting resistance to corrosion.

Fits:

2012 - 2014 991 Carrera 2

- Front Lowered Height: 20-40mm

- Rear Lowered Height: 20-40mm

- With PASM Electronic Suspension Package

- Without PDCC Active Stabilizer Control
Old 10-26-2015, 02:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
I'm looking at KW coil overs for my car. KW also has a set of springs with an adjustable collar, similar to a coil over, that they make for the 991. They make them for both PASM and standard dampers at about half the cost of coil overs. I'm leaning toward the coil overs.
I'd be interested to see the price of the SPASM conversion.
That's their Height Adjustable Spring kit, I think a couple of people on the forum have installed these...

Originally Posted by elitex
What do you guys think about the billstein PSS10 DampTronic?

The Bilstein B16 DampTronic kit is designed to integrate directly with the exclusive Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) system. This coilover system of monotube shock absorbers has been fine-tuned to produce the finest performance possible from the car's electronically controlled suspension module. The threaded body additionally allows for adjustable lowered vehicle ride height of 30mm to 50mm. Bilstein's patented Triple-C-Technology coating ensures long-lasting resistance to corrosion.

Fits:

2012 - 2014 991 Carrera 2

- Front Lowered Height: 20-40mm

- Rear Lowered Height: 20-40mm

- With PASM Electronic Suspension Package

- Without PDCC Active Stabilizer Control
H'mmm, a number of people I respect who are "in the business" dont have
good things to say about the Bilstein Damptronics.

Having said that, a number of people on the forum have installed them and
love them. Bilstein has a good reputation and is the supplier of PASM to Porsche.

I personally considered it, but decided to simply install TechARTs and TPC DSC
Old 10-26-2015, 02:47 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

I have a set of NEW in the box never installed TechART lowering springs for the 991 for sale in the parts marketplace;

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...l#post12702442

Make me an offer.

DaveGee
Old 10-26-2015, 03:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Honestly if you have PASM it's probably better to go with damptronics rather than retrofit SPASM since you get full coilovers with the damptronics ... Add the sway/roll bars if you think you need them...

If all you want to do is lower the car aftermarket springs or HAS kit is a cheaper solution...
Old 10-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Thanks Larry. Good to know the dampers aren't smart, and that the programming resides in the DSC.

Not sure if the OP wanted to stay with Porsche OEM parts. That would be the way I would be leaning (have to get my car first - working on it ). More so to match the firm but compliant ride that I have read about, and not go too stiff as some aftermarket offerings are. How stiff are the Tech Art's?

This will make a big difference to me in my used car search so I don't have to limit myself to cars that have SPASM stock.

Anyone with a PET?
Old 10-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks Larry. Good to know the dampers aren't smart, and that the programming resides in the DSC.

Not sure if the OP wanted to stay with Porsche OEM parts. That would be the way I would be leaning (have to get my car first - working on it ). More so to match the firm but compliant ride that I have read about, and not go too stiff as some aftermarket offerings are. How stiff are the Tech Art's?

This will make a big difference to me in my used car search so I don't have to limit myself to cars that have SPASM stock.

Anyone with a PET?
I haven't installed mine yet!

If you really need to replace all four shocks and the controllers it will be SPENDY - at that point I'd probably recommend Bilstein Damptronic as
a better/cheaper solution...
Old 10-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Right - good point. 😊 Let us know.

I actaully just read a review of TPC's DSC unit in the October issue of GT Porsche. They had a lot of good things to say about it (albeit on a 997), to the point where I might consider it the best way to get to SPASM after initial purchase.

So if the OEM dampers are the same between PASM and SPASM (my money is on this), you would have to buy the springs, the sway bars, and the $1100 DSC controller from TPC. Add the $150 lip up front and you would be set.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I haven't installed mine yet!

If you really need to replace all four shocks and the controllers it will be SPENDY - at that point I'd probably recommend Bilstein Damptronic as
a better/cheaper solution...
Old 10-28-2015, 02:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Right - good point. 😊 Let us know.

I actaully just read a review of TPC's DSC unit in the October issue of GT Porsche. They had a lot of good things to say about it (albeit on a 997), to the point where I might consider it the best way to get to SPASM after initial purchase.

So if the OEM dampers are the same between PASM and SPASM (my money is on this), you would have to buy the springs, the sway bars, and the $1100 DSC controller from TPC. Add the $150 lip up front and you would be set.
you wouldn't even necessarily need the DSC ...
Old 10-30-2015, 06:22 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

My TechART springs are SOLD.

DaveGee
Old 11-22-2015, 11:52 AM
elitex
Instructor

I went through the parts list with Suncoast and it seems like parts alone would be around $3k. He thinks the pasm controller is the same but would need to confirm. If we need pasm controllers then there are 2, 1 for the front and 1 for the rear. 2 pasm controllers would be about $1k.

I think damptronics would be the way to go. You can add the after market pasm controller if needed (forgot the company name).

Quick Reply: how easy to add Sport PASM to stock PASM