Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Rumble Strip - Suspension Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 06:04 PM
cy520
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Rumble Strip - Suspension Damage?

One of my coworkers was driving my 2015 991 earlier today (he's considering getting a C4S and asked to drive my C2) and ran over/crossed a serious rumble strip (not a curb, but a severe rumble strip) at around 40mph dividing a merging lane from the straight traffic lane (had to change lanes at the last minute and drove over the rumblestrip divider). The car was really bouncing over the strip (it didn't scrape but it was really bucking). This strip wasn't like the ones that simply make a little noise before tolls, etc., it was much more substantial (and divided a exit lane from the through traffic lane).

The suspension feels a bit off after the incident (taking bumps strangely). Any thoughts on whether this could have done any damage (has anyone done this before) and if so what to look for?

I can't get into the dealer to take a look at it for 2 weeks!

Thank you,
CY
Old 10-23-2015, 06:24 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Likely possibilities:
Knocked alignment out of spec
One or more wheels are no longer true

It was me, I'd put it on a lift and check all the suspension bits for damage. Then dismount the wheels and put them on a balancer to check wheel run-out, roundness and tire balance. Last, if no damage, and with true wheels and balanced tires the problem still exists, then check the alignment.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,601 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by cy520
One of my coworkers was driving my 2015 991 earlier today (he's considering getting a C4S and asked to drive my C2) and ran over/crossed a serious rumble strip (not a curb, but a severe rumble strip) at around 40mph dividing a merging lane from the straight traffic lane (had to change lanes at the last minute and drove over the rumblestrip divider). The car was really bouncing over the strip (it didn't scrape but it was really bucking). This strip wasn't like the ones that simply make a little noise before tolls, etc., it was much more substantial (and divided a exit lane from the through traffic lane).

The suspension feels a bit off after the incident (taking bumps strangely). Any thoughts on whether this could have done any damage (has anyone done this before) and if so what to look for?

I can't get into the dealer to take a look at it for 2 weeks!

Thank you,
CY
have to checked to see if any of the wheel weights are missing?

I'd be really surprised if driving over a rumble strip even at 40mph would
damage the wheels or cause a mis-alignment (but you never know) but I
could imagine that balance weights might get dislodged.

Can you be more specific about the behavior you are experiencing, is the
car driving in a straight line, or does it pull/crab, is there any apparent
damage visible to the wheel/tire... does the behavior change if you switch
between PASM normal and sport (do you have PASM)?
Old 10-23-2015, 09:27 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you are fine. You're thinking its off.... I've run over the corners on tracks at 100 MPH. No issues. I've fully compressed the suspension to a loud THUNK, no issues.

But, if you are worried, bring it in when you can.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:41 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
I think you are fine. You're thinking its off.... I've run over the corners on tracks at 100 MPH. No issues. I've fully compressed the suspension to a loud THUNK, no issues.

But, if you are worried, bring it in when you can.
Couldn't agree more. I've run over track corners in my 997S on many occasions, and have never had any problems. I can't believe that running over a rumble strip will do any suspension damage. The purpose for the rumble strip is to make a lot of noise as a car crosses over it, not damage a car.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:06 PM
cy520
AutoX

The car is pulling/following ruts in the road (way more than it ever did). The steering in the car also feels weird (not shaking but definitely a vibration when turning). The wheels do not have any visible damage.

The car is also acting odd over bumps (the rear end feels as if it's taking bumps differently - hard to describe but possibly lumpy) - the car does not have PASM.

The rumble strip that we hit was much harder than the ones I've experienced on the track.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 PM
cy520
AutoX

This rumble strip was very rough - actually made the car bounce (not just make noise). I've hit the rumble strip on the track - I don't remember the car bouncing like this. Thanks
Old 10-23-2015, 10:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Re-check your tire pressures.

Probably a bent rim.

Probably alignment knocked out.

CoWorker should be offering to pay for everything.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:30 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 117 Posts

Brought a friends Z06 today for new Michelin's Pilot Sports along with road force balancing. Everything looked great until the rubber was pulled off on the front pass side. Rim looked just fine on the outside but inside was a different story. Inner rim was bent up pretty good and will need to be straightened or replaced. I presume your rear tires also followed suit and one of those could also be damaged. As Dave C suggests, look for the obvious front & back (which is free), then go from there. T
Old 10-23-2015, 10:38 PM
cy520
AutoX

It's been a few years - do cars actually hop/bounce on the track rumble strips?
Old 10-23-2015, 10:49 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,636 Likes on 5,100 Posts

Originally Posted by cy520
It's been a few years - do cars actually hop/bounce on the track rumble strips?
Yes, in certain circumstances.

Quick Reply: Road Rumble Strip - Suspension Damage?