Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ownership from new: What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:04 PM
arch7
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ownership from new: What's it worth?

Hello group!
I have been enjoying my 2014 991 for 2 years now and its lease it ending in a month. This is my first 911, but 3rd Porsche (2 caymans). I am considering purchasing this car at the end of the lease. My dealer will CPO for under $3k. I am also considering giving this one back and looking for another CPO car, but in silver rather than black and with sport chrono and 20" wheels (mine are 19"). My question is what do you think the value either in $$ or peace of mind of owning the car from new? That is one of the biggest factors right now for me to keep this car. I figure I'll have it for another 4-5 years and then get something new, likely a cab. There's a certain romance in owning a car from new, but also knowing its history. I know a CPO car would have most problems covered, at least for the first 6 years. I also plan to have a PPI done by a local guy who knows Porsche's well. There are 2 noises the car makes, that Porsche says are normal, but I know German engineers and I can imagine these are normal. Just want a second opinion. Appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Without posting any other details about your car one cannot give even a guess.
Start with KBB where you can input options, mileage, color, condition, location, etc and get an estimate there. Other places to look for similar cars might be craigslist, auto trader, cars.com, carfax, or eBay.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:24 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

It sounds like you are looking for a silver cab with 20" wheels. I would recommend swapping it out now and enjoying now instead of waiting to swap in 4-6 years. with that said, im a bit biased since i have a silver cab on order.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:49 PM
arch7
Instructor

Hi Car25:

I guess I should have presented it differently. I'm curious if you could put a value on owning a car from new vs buying a used car. Perhaps a number is unrealistic to figure, but what about the intangibles, like peace of mind? Knowing the car, etc. My car is a C2, black, Manual, Bose, sunroof, heated/vented 14 way seats, 19" wheels, PDLS. Is it worth changing cars for a few different options (sport chrono, 20" wheels, maybe color change) or better to keep the car I know and get those options in the next one considering a 4-5 year time frame? Does owning a car from new really matter in the age of CPO cars?
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2015, 12:08 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd personally keep the car...you know how you drove it and how you took care of it...you might not be so lucky with a new CPO one...especially if you want to stick with the MT...clutch not covered by CPO
Old 10-21-2015, 12:57 AM
high sierra
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I faced the same scenario with my 2013 C4S Cabriolet. I purchased the car much to my dealers chagrin :-) Really glad I did, it was equipped with more options than the GTS they were trying to put me into. 16k miles and a new set of P Zeros and I'm good to go!
Old 10-21-2015, 02:32 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,863 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I'd keep it unless you're desperately out of love with it. That peace of mind and knowledge of the real history is invaluable. You know every mark, every defect, every little odd thing about your car.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:26 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I've bought new and I've bought used and my "peace of mind" in the car has been all over the map! I've had new cars that I wanted to keep forever and then - all of a sudden - I find something else I would rather have. Over my 55 years of buying cars the vast majority of them have been new (a few used during my time in college and right after I got married as that was all I could afford). I really felt that buying new was well worth it to get a car someone had not abused.

About a year ago I bought a used 2013 Boxster S (CPO) in great shape and felt I was going to keep it forever - it was optioned pretty much the way I would have done it and it ran great. And, with the CPO I wasn't too worried about problems. Then while I had it in for it's 2 year service I spotted a 2013 Carrera S Cab (with CPO) configured just the way I wanted it excepted in lacked PSE. So now I am on my second used Porsche and am very happy.

I think if you can find the right used Porsche (low milage, well cared for, available service records, and with a CPO to offer that catastrophic protection) then it makes a lot of sense. In your case if something else has the features and options that you REALLY want -- and it is an excellent example -- then go for it. If you can live with what you have then why would you give up what you know is a great car?
Old 10-21-2015, 07:45 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Having the peace of mind that you know the exact history of the car is priceless IMO. It was good enough for the term of the lease what's changed? Buy it.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:59 AM
arch7
Instructor

Thanks everyone! Pretty clear direction here, but Mike E will always be on my other shoulder.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arch7
Hi Car25:

I guess I should have presented it differently. I'm curious if you could put a value on owning a car from new vs buying a used car. Perhaps a number is unrealistic to figure, but what about the intangibles, like peace of mind? Knowing the car, etc. My car is a C2, black, Manual, Bose, sunroof, heated/vented 14 way seats, 19" wheels, PDLS. Is it worth changing cars for a few different options (sport chrono, 20" wheels, maybe color change) or better to keep the car I know and get those options in the next one considering a 4-5 year time frame? Does owning a car from new really matter in the age of CPO cars?
Thanks!
I'd probably keep the car since you know how it was driven and serviced (unless that is a bad thing!). On the other hand if black really is not working for you then you can't go wrong with silver. I love the look of black cars but where I live there is too much dust for me to get one.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 PM
studlee
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ARCH 7, I'm in the same boat as you. I leased a base 911, and wanted an S. residual did not make sense so I returned my lease and now I'm looking for a CPO 911 S. There are lots of low mileage 911s out there. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:12 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Order and lease what you want for the next 2 years.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:27 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
Having the peace of mind that you know the exact history of the car is priceless IMO. It was good enough for the term of the lease what's changed? Buy it.
Couldn't agree more, and that's the reason I always buy new. Knowing a car's history is far more important than buying a used car just for a different color.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:16 PM
arch7
Instructor

Thanks again everyone! Would a PPI be silly on a 2 year old car that I have owned since new? There are a few niggles that Porsche says are normal, but one I suspect is the release bearing on the clutch (which is not covered?) so I want another opinion. The other is a total change is exhaust noise, pitch and character passing through 3200 RPM, which can be sustained at if I drive up hill and hold it at 3200. It gets louder, but not in a good way, sounds like an exhaust baffle rattling around. Porsche found another car on their lot that had the same thing so they said it must be "normal." Doesn't seem to effect power at all.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Ownership from new: What's it worth?