Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting development (TT owner still dreaming of C4S)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 06:42 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Interesting development (TT owner still dreaming of C4S)

So, I've had my 14 TT for about 2.5 months. Put almost 3K miles on the car, including 700 on the ride back from Knoxville to NJ. The car is stupid fast and the torque is amazing, which is something that I always thought was missing on my 13 C4S. For example, come to stop sign, you know the kind you sort of stop when making a left/right with no cars coming, the C4S, would be in 2nd gear and it would take a bit to get moving. Down shifting would be a bit rough in this case but.. you get the point.

The TT is very quiet, a bit too much attention for me with the scoops and wing and living in NNJ, really quite unnecessary.... plus obviously not as connected being turbo, plus a bit heavier, which is noticeable.

Don't get me wrong, its a great car, but not sure it's a great "fit" for me, especially at the price.... the mags got it right..... the car is so good, that its too good.... if you get it.

Not sure what I'm going to do. Probably nothing for a bit. Pretty sure I don't want a .2 TT car. Maybe look for a pre-owned GTS over the winter/spring...

This is just my opinion and thought you guys would be interested.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:24 AM
FlyingFinn911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s
So, I've had my 14 TT for about 2.5 months. Put almost 3K miles on the car, including 700 on the ride back from Knoxville to NJ. The car is stupid fast and the torque is amazing, which is something that I always thought was missing on my 13 C4S. For example, come to stop sign, you know the kind you sort of stop when making a left/right with no cars coming, the C4S, would be in 2nd gear and it would take a bit to get moving. Down shifting would be a bit rough in this case but.. you get the point.

The TT is very quiet, a bit too much attention for me with the scoops and wing and living in NNJ, really quite unnecessary.... plus obviously not as connected being turbo, plus a bit heavier, which is noticeable.

Don't get me wrong, its a great car, but not sure it's a great "fit" for me, especially at the price.... the mags got it right..... the car is so good, that its too good.... if you get it.

Not sure what I'm going to do. Probably nothing for a bit. Pretty sure I don't want a .2 TT car. Maybe look for a pre-owned GTS over the winter/spring...

I get what your saying . These new cars are so capable that you can't use them fully on the street and it's missing some character. I think there is going to be a movement towards somewhat simpler, not quite as powerful but perhaps more engaging sports cars in the future. When I drive on the street , I like to feel engaged with the car and use it to some of its potential , if a car is 'too good' I lose some of that connection. Either way, these are nice problems to have !
Old 10-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a 07 TT to my 15 Carrera S. I am really enjoying my 911S..
Sounds much better and I like the way it handles. Not that much difference in power.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:53 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I feel ya.
Had a spot on the list for a '14 TT until we found out no MT was available. Went with a C4S MT and never looked back.
Perfect car.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:57 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

I hear ya. I had a '13 C2S 7MT, used the pullahead program to get into a '15 TT. Car was stupid fast with amazing torque and pulled like a locomotive. Problem for me was that it felt too perfect and clinical, and that I was "disconnected" from the car. Probably a result of the car's weight, the fact it was much quieter than the C2S w/ PSE, and the PDK. Again, fast and perfect shifts, but to me lacking the drama that a car like this should have. So, I took a bit of a bath on getting out of my TT after about 8 months and into a '16 GTS coupe 7MT. Couldn't be happier. Would have saved some coin had I held my C2S to lease maturity and just gone directly to the GTS, but I made the mistake of taking a test drive in a TT last summer and was intoxicated by the pulling power. Expensive mistake, live and learn. I've been following your posts for a few years and saw you traded into a TT. Can't say I'm totally surprised that you're still yearning for something a bit different. I do think you should look into the GTS . . . sounds like it may be right up your alley. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks guys.... to be continued....
Old 10-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 704 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_s

Definitely interested in your thoughts as I aspire to own a CPO 991TT some day...
Old 10-21-2015, 09:52 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 480 Posts

I got out of a 12tt into a few other cars inc a GT3 RS and 2 (almost 3) 991 gt3s...and I've never been more excited to take delivery of my 16 gts coupe tomorrow vs any of those. I tried a 15 TT and almost did it but felt the same way (and ugh there is just NO sound). Now I've got the best of every world. So thats great. I'd look into it!
Old 10-22-2015, 01:14 PM
The New 911
Pro

That is a very good point. If you want any of the lower model's than the TT it will cost as much as a Turbo if you let the configuration process get out of control. By the time I'm finished dressing up a 4S with all the leather and packages and performance bits I could very easily get into a Twin Turbo same model year.

And another thing it cost about half as much to configure the TTS to your Specification's than it does the plane Twin Turbo. Since you're spending so much money on the TTS they add on a lot of the item's for free and at heavily discounted prices.

I think it was earlier this year that I configured both the TT and the TTS to the exact Spec. The regular TT was floating around $44k and the TTS was something like $17k.. I should probably redo the experiment to check again but it seemed better to get the S because of the reduction in price zero priced option's!
Old 10-22-2015, 01:51 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand what you mean. When I was shopping for the 14 C4S I test drove a lot of different cars, some of which have much faster 0-60, but on public roads it just wasn't fun, especially with bigger cars with automatics/DCTs.

What I'm buying with a sports car isn't performance data for a spreadhsheet, but something that will put a smile on my face. The manual C4S does that in a way none of the other cars I test drove did
Old 10-22-2015, 02:10 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I understand what you mean. When I was shopping for the 14 C4S I test drove a lot of different cars, some of which have much faster 0-60, but on public roads it just wasn't fun, especially with bigger cars with automatics/DCTs.

What I'm buying with a sports car isn't performance data for a spreadhsheet, but something that will put a smile on my face. The manual C4S does that in a way none of the other cars I test drove did
This ^ !

Porsche has a sweet for the 4. Wider than the 2S, lower rocker panel and that cool light bar across the back. The TTS doesn't even get that.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:45 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

The power and torque of the TT is intoxicating until the spirits and it magic potion wears off. Back then, I was dreaming of owning a TT. The specs are so outrageous but clinical that it makes you wonder if that is the right car for you.

After owning 3 T cars I finally realized that all I need is a NA MT GTS. The same comparison, IMHO, with a E92M3 against the new M4. The sweet sounding and high revving bespoke NA V8 against a Turbo 3 liter M. I am pretty sure that the new Turbo models are faster than the previous models.

Traded-in my E92 and was about to pull the trigger for the TT. Also thought of the new M4 or to wait for the 991.2. Eventually getting a 2016 MT GTS instead. Never been satisfied and happier since driving for the very first time.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:31 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChoyV
The power and torque of the TT is intoxicating until the spirits and it magic potion wears off. Back then, I was dreaming of owning a TT. The specs are so outrageous but clinical that it makes you wonder if that is the right car for you.

After owning 3 T cars I finally realized that all I need is a NA MT GTS. The same comparison, IMHO, with a E92M3 against the new M4. The sweet sounding and high revving bespoke NA V8 against a Turbo 3 liter M. I am pretty sure that the new Turbo models are faster than the previous models.

Traded-in my E92 and was about to pull the trigger for the TT. Also thought of the new M4 or to wait for the 991.2. Eventually getting a 2016 MT GTS instead. Never been satisfied and happier since driving for the very first time.
Right on!

Quick Reply: Interesting development (TT owner still dreaming of C4S)