Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-owned 991 Carrera S with Carfax Accident?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 616 Posts

Def agree with others. I paid the same amount for a CLEAN car, in the color, transmission and every option I wanted. Miles were a bit higher than I wanted.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:39 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tron786
I wonder what percentage of all Pcar owners are on this forum and what percentage of these are fussy about cars
I'm sure the majority of Pcar owners are less **** about their cars than we may believe.
Very small.... but only an "idiot" is buying a car with known accidents on carfax when suitable non-accident CPO cars are in the market for the same price range. One needs to be an educated buyer, whether a member here or not...

But the dealers are certainly appreciative of non-informed consumers that buy cars like this especially when the dealer says "it was a small accident. Carfax is usually wrong, it's a great car".... famous last words.

Rule of thumb when buying pre-owned, the dealer is lying and all data must be verified plus PPI. It just hit me, I'm super fussy.....lol..
Old 10-19-2015, 03:54 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I buy pre-owned I buy CPO. But I ask for all the CPO documentation that is required for certification. I get the PPI. I get a DME report. If the car was misrepresented, then I have words and data in writing that will either back the deal out (plus compensation), or give me a substantial chunk of my money back. This type of misrepresentation happened to me two years ago, and the dealer really paid for it. They told me to never go back to them - and I have not, nor referred anyone to them. Dealer will take a risk, because they will often come out on top - so be careful.

BTW carfax is silly. I had two fender benders reported on a car, it never showed up on carfax. I was surprised.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:15 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I will continue to ask newbie questions. If the car is Porsche CPO from a Porsche dealer, a 3rd party PPI is still a must do? How does that work? The dealer allows the car to be driven to a shop for a PPI pre-purchase. Sorry for the questions. This will be my first Porsche so I am a total outsider to the Porsche community. And continued thanks for all the helpful replies.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:24 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
I will continue to ask newbie questions. If the car is Porsche CPO from a Porsche dealer, a 3rd party PPI is still a must do? How does that work? The dealer allows the car to be driven to a shop for a PPI pre-purchase. Sorry for the questions. This will be my first Porsche so I am a total outsider to the Porsche community. And continued thanks for all the helpful replies.
Tell the dealer that car has to be settled after a PPI has been done. That a shop of your choice must conduct the PPI. The logistics are for the dealer to decide since it's their car - it's not unheard of for a shop to drop by the dealer.

The above said, I would agree on a price before conducting the PPI contingent on the PPI being sound.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:41 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a CPO car and I didn't ask for a PPI. I did get a DME report. But the car is still under warranty for a while before the CPO coverage, and I consider that a small risk. But I wouldn't buy a car with damage history. I'd buy a less expensive new car before I'd do that. Maybe that's irrational.

In any event, good luck with your search. Having a 911 is good.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:32 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
BTW carfax is silly. I had two fender benders reported on a car, it never showed up on carfax. I was surprised.
Maybe your accidents didn't show up, but the fact that this potential buyer was properly warned about an accident that did show up, shows the value of a carfax report. What you probably meant to say was that a clean carfax is no guarantee that it has no accident history.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Seems like services like Carfax are a blessing and a curse. A blessing because you might find out about a seemingly great car that has a problem. A curse because a very minor repair or replacement of a part could show up on Carfax and ruin the resale value of your car despite the car being fine. Overall it is probably a good thing. I remember when I was trading in a Buick for a Lexus and the Lexus dealer came back with a Carfax accident report for the Buick. Then I remembered years ago the left front bumper got clipped and damaged by a Mercedes driver who had lost control of his car on an icy road. Bumper was replaced and car was back to new condition. But that report caused the trade-in value for my Buick to drop from laughable to terrible It would be nice to have some grading level for Carfax. Not sure if it would make any difference though.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:57 PM
rohulp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone looking to revive this thread.

For those who think there is a price for everything, how much of a hit do you think a 911 should take with reports of accidents. This would assume one believes the accidents were minor (i.e. no carfax airbag deployment/car not towed/etc).

I've seen accident cars not priced right sit for a very long time. From what I read on crashcalculators.com and talking with some independents, $10K on avg should be the hit. Thoughts?
Old 08-30-2018, 12:10 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

deleted
Old 09-01-2018, 09:45 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 855 Likes on 469 Posts

Carfax is a bit of both...have had it save me recently when shopping for a used BMW for my college bound son...initial car looked great, had what we wanted equipment wise and a bit more mileage AND when checked a hx on CARFAX. Asked directly about it and got the additional info that it wasn't firing on all cylinders yet due to someone putting sugar in the gas tank that was only discovered after trade it? That was why they were so eager to let it go for my offer which was 15% under their offer price and give me a high price on my son's current car on trade (it had a clean CarFax) sight unseen. I walked quickly from that car and found a suitable car with a clean CARFAX but yes in shopping around noticed that the cars with the lowest prices in comparison to their peers usually had a CARFAX history or super duper miles. Either can be acceptable depending on the risk you're taking and expecting I guess but I agree I would like to see CARFAX maybe add some scaling to their reports...like MINOR, COSMETIC-ONLY, MAJOR/SUBSTANTIAL. That would help those who get say a bumper scrape in a parking lot that requires a respray from getting lumped into the car that had a rear end impact at >40mph or engine fire from getting lumped together and their resale values suffering and plummeting off a cliff together for different damage and value post repair.

As for me would I let a CARFAX history deter me from a car IF it had what I wanted? Not at all depending on what was done...would want to investigate it more and would not pay same a similar car with clean history on it of course but it it was properly repaired and acceptable in person then yes I'd consider it. I mean yeah some Porsche owners are picky but guys lets be real...driving down the road NOBODY probably can tell you got a car with a CARFAX history unless they are the prior owners and are reading your VIN # most likely. Only is an issue at sale/resale so if you're enjoying your cars and driving them and have no issues then the CARFAX really shouldn't be one either IMHO. This is especially true if you plan to keep the car for a long time. However understand that for some owners its more about the image than the car so their history must be a perfect and unblemished as the owner! That's their choice and isn't it great we all get one of those!
Old 09-12-2018, 04:42 PM
rohulp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a very nice 991 S with about 55k miles being sold. Beautiful Aqua Blue Metallic very well equipped (PDK, Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust). The car was showing two accidents on its carfax. The first had a true frame report which called it minor. The second one was minor as per carfax. I did place a low ball offer, which was not accepted. I saw that it had sold and asked the dealer what they got for it. They told me $58K. Similar cars with that kind of mileage have been seen for about $60-63K not hit. I have seen cars with accidents sit for very long time on dealer lots. This one sold in less than 2 weeks. I do love that color!

No questions. Just food for thought.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:33 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

2 years ago I bought my 2013 with original msrp of 116 for 75. It had 8000 miles on it. I traded in a 2012.5 that had a minor car fax, dealer told me it was just lower rear bumper trim that had been replaced. Regardless, it was a 10k hit on trade in value at 2 different dealerships.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:28 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

Over-priced in the USA, for a '16 today. My dealer just sold my nicely optioned C2S Coupe trade with clean Carfax and less than 10,000 miles for just under $85k with CPO thru 3/21. Buyer was over 1400 miles away and bought it sight unseen, and had it shipped to him. MSRP was $124. 2 k with manual tranny. That was about the right price, per the market i was watching. He bought a perfect C2S, and my dealer knew that when he priced it.

Quick Reply: Pre-owned 991 Carrera S with Carfax Accident?