Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you prefer 911 over a Boxster/Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 04:34 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I find it amusing when I read how small and Spartan the 981 is since it is so much larger than my first 911 which I purchased in 1970.
Yeah, that's always good for a chuckle. The 981 has a longer wheelbase and substantially more (secure) luggage capacity for road trips and other situations where you'd like to keep things out of sight.

I'll challenge any 911 owner here to a Costco run, and we'll see how much economically-priced bulk merchandise we can each bring home. They'd win, of course, but only by filling the back seat area.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:26 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Default recently traded a 2013 Boxster S for 991S Cab

First of all I am not a track person. Over the past 9 years I have owned a 2006 Cayman S with MT, a 2013 Boxster S with PDK, and now a 2013 911 S Cab with PDK.

I have enjoyed each one of them! The move from the Cayman to the Boxster was a pretty big jump as those are two pretty different models in terms of power and creature comforts in the car. The other reason I probably have trouble making a direct comparison was that there was a Shelby GT 500 in-between those two cars and while the Shelby was a beast it was nice to get back to something that was a bit better balanced. The move from the Boxster to the 911 was because I had never owned a 911 model and felt I should do that before I quite driving (I am north of 70 and fully realize that my spirited driving is heading into the sunset). Putting the Cayman aside I think my observations on the Boxster and the 911 might be relevant. Both are 2013, both are S models and both are convertibles.

Around town I am not experiencing much difference in acceleration or handling between the 981 and the 991. It does seem that the creature comforts are a little nicer in the 991 and I enjoy the option of putting items in the rear seat area.

My local dealer does rent VIR every year and I usually participate in the entry level group (which means you follow a pace car around the track for 20 mins at a time -- not as bad as it seems as the pace through the turns is pretty fast and the straightaway speeds vary between 80 and 125). On my (admittedly basic runs) at VIR I have noticed that 1) the handling is a bit different on the tight corners in the 991 as I can tell there is a bit more weight on the back end (please note that I said different -- not worse) and 2) there seems to be more power as I accelerate above 40-50 mph in the 991.

I took the Boxster X-crossing a couple of times last year and it was an absolute blast to throw around the cones -- very well balanced and plenty of power for that venue. I look forward to trying the same with the 911 but, quite frankly, don't expect it to be quite as nimble -- hopefully I am going to be surprised.

In terms of being a road car - I find the 991 more comfortable and solid on the highway - I just feel it is a better road trip car for me.

I am glad that I traded the Boxster on the 911 as I now have the opportunity to experience the rear-engine Porsche experience first hand. But more than that I am really happy that I have had the opportunity to own a couple of examples of mid-engine Porsches and now a wonderful example of a rear-engine Porsche. Everyone of these cars has been an absolute blast to drive in terms of (perceived) acceleration, handling, appearance or pride of ownership, and about anything else ownership related. They all had radically different price points so obviously that has to enter the equation somewhere -- but I can honestly say that I would happily take any one of them as "my" car.

Quick Reply: Why do you prefer 911 over a Boxster/Cayman?