Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confusing and Complicated Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015 | 12:24 PM
DNorby
Racer

Default Confusing and Complicated Car

I bought a used 2013 S and I cannot tell what is really included with my car. The "additional equipment' includes PASM, Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono and a few things that seem to be for looks. It has Sport and Sport Plus buttons and a button for the PASM - a shock absorber button (the PASM is listed twice on the build with codes 30 and 030).

So, it looks to me that Sport Chrono includes the tightening of the engine to the frame-sport and sport plus adjustments, the suspension can be changed and if I want more noise from the exhaust there is a button for that-it is plenty loud as it is.

I have a manual transmission and 2 wheel drive and I was wondering if there is anything this car is missing as far as performance features go? Is there PTV on my car?

The manual and the VIN lookup does not really tell me what I have or do not have and I guess my question is: does my car have all the performance options that was available (I have red brakes)?

Does Porsche complicate things with all off the abbreviated electronic systems? The car is fantastic and fast and fun to drive. It has 400 hundred horsepower and is it enough to get me around town?

Is there a way to find out exactly what is included on my car when I do not have the original purchase/build sheet (I tried the VIN lookup on this site)?

Am I the only person that is confused with my car?

Thanks,

David
Old 10-10-2015 | 12:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Not confusing and complicated if you read up. To the average person they are though. The case with most high end cars these days.

These cars take a bit of research and education to understand. Took me a while to "get it".

Definitely not as easy as a Honda Civic option list

I sent you a PM (private message)!
Old 10-10-2015 | 12:36 PM
Winegums
Instructor

I think you're confused with the car because you haven't looked into technology and engineering that Porsche has done. A little research will go a long ways to understanding your car.

What cars have you owned prior to owning this car?
Old 10-10-2015 | 12:51 PM
DNorby
Racer

I have a 2005 350Z roadster, I traded my 2011 Panamera for the 911. I have a 2008 Nissan Titan. I owned various Toyotas, a Suburban, a 66 and 67 MG Midget, a '71 Firebird Formula 400 (I should have kept that car-from high school) and my very first car was a '66 Beetle. I never thought I would own a 911 but I can now afford one (paid cash) and the reason I got it was because the engine went out in the Panamera with 2 wks left on the warranty and they would not warranty the new engine. The cam adjuster screws broke off and destroyed the engine. Apparently the steel pins inside the aluminum were not long enough. The problem with Porsche is that they do not seem to detail what actually goes wrong with things when they make warranty repairs. The new engine might be great but I really wanted a warranty. Porsche's warranty is great, I drove a new Cayenne for 2 mos. while they made the repairs.

David
Old 10-10-2015 | 01:23 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Get a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche Cars US. Cost is around $100 and it normally lists all the options on the car.

For more power check out getting the X50 upgrade. Adds 30 hp (but 0 torque). One of the dealers on the forum (I think it's Sun Coast Porsche in Florida) has the kit available. Check out their website.
Old 10-10-2015 | 01:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

To answer a couple of your questions. All "S" models have

PASM- Porsche active suspension management

PTV- Porsche torque vectoring

Optional equipment:

Sport Chrono- also gives you dynamic engine mounts and rev matching (2013 was a split year, early builds may not have it)
Old 10-10-2015 | 01:51 PM
Dyim
Drifting

PDCC is another optional performance feature.
Old 10-11-2015 | 09:35 AM
philipatl
Instructor

Figured I'd google to help you out and found this..

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/po...psm-94775.html
Old 10-11-2015 | 11:40 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Use this link to generate the original build sheet of your car. Place your VIN number immediately after the = sign:

https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...print.php?vin=

This will show you what your car came with from factory along with original MSRP and key dates.
Old 10-11-2015 | 12:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by k997
Use this link to generate the original build sheet of your car. Place your VIN number immediately after the = sign:

https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...print.php?vin=

This will show you what your car came with from factory along with original MSRP and key dates.
Is this link not working?
Old 10-11-2015 | 01:48 PM
DNorby
Racer

Thanks for the help. If you type the VIN number after the web address you will get the free build sheet that shows the options-the salesman at the Porsche dealer in Cary, NC gave me that already but he was having toner issues and now I can at least read everything clearly. Apparently you have to pay Porsche $100 to get the detail of what the car includes-the non-options. I wonder if the dealer throws away the original build list that the owner may have left behind so more money can be gleaned.

David
Old 10-11-2015 | 02:05 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
Is this link not working?
Link works fine, you just need to place the VIN after the equal sign. I think the OP was able to generate the sheet for his car through it.
Old 10-11-2015 | 03:56 PM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

If you're having trouble pasting the vin on the end of the link in a browser try this. First paste the link into notepad or something similar then paste your VIN after the = (no spaces) then copy and paste the whole thing to your browser address bar and it should work.
Old 10-11-2015 | 09:12 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

The Certificate of Authenticity is an excellent document to purchase if you plan to keep you car a long time and want to be able to prove to a future purchaser that the car is original as delivered, and to accurately document the options that were ordered for that specific VIN.

However, the CoA will not list all of the "standard" equipment on your car, though it may mention some of the specific items that differentiated your car from the base model or a higher model. The original Monroney sticker lists quite a few of the standard items that come with each specific car, but is not itself a complete list, either. Asking the dealer for a 991 sales brochure may help you learn more about the options and equipment you already have. It also usually lists the equipment that makes your car an S rather than any other level (such as the red calipers - which are standard on the S model).

But the real definitive reference for the possible equipment you have and how it operates and interacts with other systems should be in your glove box - the owners manual. It is not a list, but it has a copy of the build sticker just inside the cover, with all of the build codes. Same for the Maintenance record booklet. From there you can verify the option codes for your VIN. Others have posted links above to discover what those build codes mean.
Old 10-13-2015 | 12:00 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Give them time.

If your car was CPO you will get a CPO kit and it will contain a nice certificate listing all the options.

You will get something like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8t...ew?usp=sharing

Quick Reply: Confusing and Complicated Car