Sponsored by:

CPO Transfers

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:39 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
Default CPO Transfers

I am trying to understand when a CPO cant be transferred? From what I have been reading, when ever you sell to a non Porsche dealer you lose it. I use a local non porsche dealer to buy and sell my cars thru for sales tax credit. By doing this, I am essentially cancelling CPO's on cars I am selling and buying?
Old 10-03-2015, 05:24 PM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have been misinformed. The CPO is transferrable to a new owner. read the porsche CPO documents. its clearly stated.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...roved/warranty
Old 10-03-2015, 05:40 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevebmd
you have been misinformed. The CPO is transferrable to a new owner. read the porsche CPO documents. its clearly stated.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...roved/warranty
"the warranty is fully
transferable providing
the car is sold privately
or to a Porsche Centre"
Old 10-03-2015, 11:12 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
I am trying to understand when a CPO cant be transferred? From what I have been reading, when ever you sell to a non Porsche dealer you lose it. I use a local non porsche dealer to buy and sell my cars thru for sales tax credit. By doing this, I am essentially cancelling CPO's on cars I am selling and buying?
In a word, yes.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds odd. The certification is attached to the vin. I've seen previously cpo'd cars at non Porsche dealers advertised as such... The dealer would be in a legal pickle if it was not true. Sounds like a good question for PCNA in atl
Old 10-04-2015, 10:40 AM
ent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine recently bought a 997 C2S from a non-Porsche dealer and took it for a repair at our local Porsche dealer. He had purchased an aftermarket extended warranty and expected that the repair would be handled through it.

After starting the initial paperwork, the SA told him that the car had a CPO warranty and that it was still valid. My friend obviously canceled the aftermarket warranty. Although this is a situation where YMMV, it appears as though the CPO may not necessarily become void.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:52 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

in my experience cpo is attached to vin of car -- porsche service center enters vin and sees the status

i bought one cpo car (at left in avatar) from a private party, and another cpo car from an indie (non porsche) dealer - in both cases cpo work was honored at dealer when the need arose

i suspect PCNA leaves language in their written materials that gives them leeway in honoring the cpo status, then local dealer service managers also have discretion in whether they honor a particular work order depending on the specific context, customer, etc etc etc. Gives them all an out if they smell something not right.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:14 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

ok, looks like once a car is certified by the porsche dealer, it stays with the car no matter what
Old 10-06-2015, 02:03 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
ok, looks like once a car is certified by the porsche dealer, it stays with the car no matter what
I have never purchased a used Porsche, so my knowledge comes from what I've read on this forum. The post below is from JR_Pro:

I just went thru this whole process of buying a used CPO car and went to two Porsche dealerships in person and asked the service advisor and one service manger to explain the CPO transfer process and they were both consistent in their explanations...sales people's explanations were not as consistent regarding the transfer of a CPO warranty for a sale person to person outside of the dealership but in this scenario I trust the service personnel most because they are the ones getting CPO claims approved/denied for people driving up saying "Hey I have CPO so fix this please" and have to then report back to customers whether they actually have a CPO vehicle so they usually know the warranty process more intimately.
Both service personnel explained that the new vehicle warranty when purchased new, it stays with the car (VIN number) until it runs out. So when the new vehicle is traded in for example and the vehicle is resold within the original warranty period then any remaining warranty period automatically stays with that car or VIN until the new warranty period expires meaning if anyone buys this said Porsche during the original warranty period from any person or non Porsche dealer the remaining new warranty stays with the VIN and you can still get authorized warranty repair at the Porsche dealership. Now they explained that a CPO basically stays with the owner (not necessarily the VIN) who purchased the CPO vehicle from the authorized Porsche dealership and can ONLY be transferred to the new owner of this same CPO vehicle if you buy the CPO vehicle directly from the person who owns the CPO vehicle and not form a third party used car dealership which voids the CPO. The service personnel may not have been 100% accurate in their explanation of how the CPO warranty stays with the owner and not the VIN, but the rules and the process of how to properly transfer a CPO within guidelines were accurate and it worked for me.

You then have to fill out the CPO owner warranty registration transfer form (that came with the CPO documentation) and mail and/or fax it directly to Porsche NA in Georgia. It then takes a few weeks to transfer from the old owner over to you then you have the rest of the CPO warranty for the balance of the CPO warranty period for no transfer fees or cost.
Now I should state that what some other members have posted about taking a CPO vehicle to a Porsche dealer and they can resell it to you having a CPO may be true but the Porsche dealership sales staff I went to said they may or may not be able to do that pending inspection but if so it would cost $$$ but I was not sure exactly how much it may cost and honestly I did not pursue that very far to get a firm answer because again this car was already CPO and the service guys told me the transfer was free as long as it was bought directly from the CPO owner (which it was) and not a non Porsche dealer. Since I was buying this car directly from the seller who was the CPO buyer then it was free and it was how Porsche said it could be transferred within their rules with no problems so that's what I did and it transferred with no issues for free.
I want to clarify again that there may be other ways to get a used CPO vehicle transferred in your name thru the sales department but I wanted to do it this way meaning a free transfer and luckily the car I found was being purchase directly from the seller who bought the car as a CPO vehicle from a Porsche dealership so it all fell into place and I have since verified with Porsche that the CPO did transfer to me so all is good. Hope I did not confuse anyone with my rambling with all this but wanted to share my recent CPO experience. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2015, 02:10 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

The CPO is attached to the VIN. Stays with the car regardless until expired. Just like the original new car warranty. Good at any Porsche dealer, as the car info is on their internal dealer network system.

Porsche does not monitor and track if the car gets sold, traded, or lost in a poker game.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:36 PM
RYE
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

I was given an extended warranty on an Audi that was tied to me owning the car. Really glad to hear that Porsche ties it to the VIN. Awesome!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:58 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

AFAIK, CPO & prepaid maintanence are tied to the VIN. I bought mine C2S used from a non Porsche dealer. I brought the car in for service at the local Porsche dealer, and the service adviser told me its all free because it had prepaid maintenance already. She told me its from the VIN.

And as others stated, the CPO document did said transferable to another private party only and the new owner had to summit. However, Porsche does not have the time nor the resources to keep tracking on their car exchange hands. And it doesn't show nor telling them when whoever/new owner drop off the car for service.

My $0.02.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:10 PM
Chris Keefer
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPO Warranties DO NOT transfer. Once the car is sold, the warranty is void unless it is purchased at a Porsche Dealership.

I just found this out the hard way. Called and confirmed with Porsche NA.

Bad policy boys . . . .
Old 10-31-2018, 06:18 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Keefer
CPO Warranties DO NOT transfer. Once the car is sold, the warranty is void unless it is purchased at a Porsche Dealership.

Bad policy boys . . . .
Dollars to donuts the car went through a non-Porsche dealership before ending up in your hands. Porsche CPO is no problem private party to private party. Been there, done that.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:19 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Keefer

Bad policy boys . . . .
Not true for private party sales, just those through non Porsche dealers

Quick Reply: CPO Transfers