Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pricing Help Needed ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 09:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

OP, one thing to consider/remember. If it's a '14, particularly a demo, the car was punched a while ago and the warranty started running from that date, so you're getting a car that might have a year of it's warranty already gone. Second, if it's been sitting on a lot for a year, you can almost guarantee that you're going to need/want to do some paint correction, which can run anywhere from $500 to $2,000 depending on the work required and the quality of the worker. You should price all that in, as well as the fact that its basically a two model year old car, when you make your offer.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:09 AM
zhecks
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorschePaul
I found a beautiful Targa 4S with 7-sp manual that is equipped perfect for me. The car is a 2014 dealer demo with about 2.5K miles. They are offering it at $10k off MSRP which is a 7% discount. What are your thoughts on what a fair discount is for this car?

Thanks so much.
Terrible deal. I was offered $10K+ off on a 2015 Targa 4S PDK with 30 miles in May this year (peak summer time). You should be looking at $15K now since 2016 is already in.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:05 PM
PorschePaul
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for everyone's valuable input. I checked out the car late yesterday. It is a Porsche executive car driven 2500 mi - not a dealer demo. The warranty was punched in Jan of this year. It is 7-sp 2014 Targa 4S in Agate Gray with red full leather, PDCC, Sport Exhaust, LED lights, Premium Package Plus, Sport Chrono, Park Assist, Bose, Wheels Painted Black being the major options. MSRP of $143,XXX. I think it is a great build and beautiful color combo. As I said before, they are offering it at $10K off sticker.

I drove the car and not surprisingly I think it drove fantastic - I've had in succession a 1989, 2001, 2003, and now a 2005 911 and each generation is improved on the prior and the 991 is no exception. The rev-matching feature when you downshift is pretty cool. The managers had all left when we returned from the test drive so I could not make a formal offer. After little sleep last night I have decided to pass on the car. I cannot justify it being worth $80K + more than my current 997 that is loaded up with X-51package, full leather, carbon ceramics, etc., etc. It is also hard to justify when you can find low mileage 991 S convertibles in the high $80K range.

If someone wants what I think is a perfect build Targa it is at Rusnak Porsche in Westlake Village, Ca. Michael Medina was the salesman- a nice young man - very low key. Someone please buy it so I don't have to see the damn car at the dealer that I pass by everyday!

Thanks again for all your valuable input.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:09 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That car is definitely overpriced period, you can get 10K off a brand new one! That car will sell eventually at 20K off, they are just being greedy right now!
Old 10-04-2015, 03:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Yeah, at that price they're on crack, especially given the build. That would be a high price for an option list that would appeal to the biggest segment of the market. While that car is awesome and I'm sure it's beautiful, the MT and the full red leather interior are both going to limit the pool of buyers a fair bit.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:33 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 606 Posts

this discount is a joke, at least it should be 25% off . You can get 25% off a left over 2014 without any miles .2016's are here so this car is 2 years old
Old 10-05-2015, 11:53 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
OP, one thing to consider/remember. If it's a '14, particularly a demo, the car was punched a while ago and the warranty started running from that date, so you're getting a car that might have a year of it's warranty already gone. Second, if it's been sitting on a lot for a year, you can almost guarantee that you're going to need/want to do some paint correction, which can run anywhere from $500 to $2,000 depending on the work required and the quality of the worker. You should price all that in, as well as the fact that its basically a two model year old car, when you make your offer.
You beat me to the punch.
The car probably has a 3 year warranty remaining. Unfortunately, many people abuse demos: red line it right off the dealer's lot and obviously don't follow Porsche's break-in recommendations. I'm not a fanatic about the RPM limit during the break-in period, but I at least make certain that the oil is at normal operating temperature before I take it to 6K+ RPM.
I would be surprised if this car doesn't have a huge number of range 1 over-revs. So I would definitely request an over-rev report. As far as I'm concerned this is a used car and should be priced accordingly. I would only consider this car under two conditions: a 20% discount off of MSRP and a CPO warranty.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:42 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
PorschePaul,

Bear in mind that all the feedback on this site has absolutely ZERO emotional attachment. You said the car, which can no longer be ordered, is perfect for you. Cut the best deal you can and go for it. A year from now you will regret not having done it more than you will possibly paying a premium.

DaveGee
You made your decision, and obviously the emotional attachment didn't get too deep. But I think this was some of the best advice on the page. Good deals are enjoyable, but I'd rather an okay deal on a great car than a great deal on an okay-for-me car.

With such a slim supply of Targas you can't blame the dealer for testing the waters. The dealer doesn't need the approval of a majority of Rennlisters, they just need one buyer to approve that price.

I'm always in favor of stretching my car dollars as far as possible but I've never enjoyed compromising the car to get the price.

Quick Reply: Pricing Help Needed ASAP