Sponsored by:

I hate to post this!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 04:57 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
While I agree that the OP's approach from the start was probably off-putting to the dealership, I just can't imagine they did anything on purpose (unless he was a huge *** and just isn't fessing up to it on here, which I doubt). I expect that if a dealer thinks they have a difficult customer, they probably realize that the path of least resistance for them is to just do the job right. If I'm the SA, the last thing I want to do with the difficult job is to do it poorly. It's just gonna be a bigger headache.

But, honestly, beyond ensuring that they use the oil I want them to, I think it's overreaching a bit to ask to want to watch or film an oil change.
I was not an *** because as a first time customer I wanted to build a relationship with the SA. Does asking for a particular oil grade and not have my car washed as well as making sure that the computer is not reseted makes me a difficult customer?

Also, I did not ask to videotape the work done, just a couple of pictures.

If they have an issue with that maybe I need to go to another dealer.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:58 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rookie question for the group: if you have your oil changed by a Porsche certified technician (NOT a dealer) does it potentially invalidate the warranty?

Thank you in advance.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
While I agree that the OP's approach from the start was probably off-putting to the dealership, I just can't imagine they did anything on purpose (unless he was a huge *** and just isn't fessing up to it on here, which I doubt). I expect that if a dealer thinks they have a difficult customer, they probably realize that the path of least resistance for them is to just do the job right. If I'm the SA, the last thing I want to do with the difficult job is to do it poorly. It's just gonna be a bigger headache.

But, honestly, beyond ensuring that they use the oil I want them to, I think it's overreaching a bit to ask to want to watch or film an oil change.
I wasn't being serious in that I truly don't think a business like a Porsche dealership would torpedo a client even if said client was truly awful.
But, to play Devils advocate, I never thought it even remotely possible that VAG would do what they did either.
Strange times we are living in.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You hate to post this, and it shows. Who was the dealer?
Old 09-30-2015, 05:37 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
You hate to post this, and it shows. Who was the dealer?
I won't disclose the dealer because I will give them a second opportunity to make up for the poor service. I don't think it will be fare to come here and bad mouth the dealer and then to ask them to accommodate me in the future. In the near future everyone will find out about the dealer when I do my second oil change at 5000 miles.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
Rookie question for the group: if you have your oil changed by a Porsche certified technician (NOT a dealer) does it potentially invalidate the warranty?

Thank you in advance.
No problem....but many independents are unable to turn off the service indicator light on 991's. Also keep your service records for reference.

Some owners have been told it'll cost them $75 at the P-dealer since they didn't have them do the work - it's not possible by pushing a combination of buttons on the dash like many makes.

I understand a $300 gadget is out there for people to DIY.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I am surprised some people are not aware that dealerships are using what's called " service express ". These are regular people that have absolutely no training as a technician. They can come directly from the street or from the dealership's detail department. If you work in the detail department and are looking into making a career as a technician,the easiest way to advance,besides going to tech school,is to start in service express.
Service express guys are responsible for your oil changes,tire rotation etc.
You didn't think an actual tech is going to waste his time with an oil change... Well,he will if he's not busy or he needs to do something else to the car besides an oil change.
This is common practice at Chevy stores, certainly. Pull up in a $100K Z06 and this is what you can expect. I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if this happened at a Porsche dealer where I'd just paid almost $300 for an oil change. For that price, I want to see Wolfgang Hatz himself out there on the service floor, pouring bottle after bottle of Mobil1 blessed by the Archbishop of Neckarbischofsheim.

I, too, have had to browbeat my SA into having the oil change done properly, but fortunately there were no leaks or loose parts or other signs of sabotage afterward. Kind of ruins the rest of my day when I have to do that, and I'm sure he felt the same way. It would be so much easier just to do the job right the first time, but apparently that's the path of most resistance for some people.

Frankly I blame the process as designed by Porsche. It's simply not possible to drain, refill, and verify a precise amount of oil in these cars in a reasonable amount of shop time -- meaning 30 minutes or less -- and that's the engineers' fault, plain and simple. The dealers and the owners both get the short end of that particular (dip)stick.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:21 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

There's only one Porsche dealer in Miami. I suggest you drive to Champion Porsche they have a top notch service department.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
This is common practice at Chevy stores, certainly. Pull up in a $100K Z06 and this is what you can expect. I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if this happened at a Porsche dealer where I'd just paid almost $300 for an oil change. For that price, I want to see Wolfgang Hatz himself out there on the service floor, pouring bottle after bottle of Mobil1 blessed by the Archbishop of Neckarbischofsheim. I, too, have had to browbeat my SA into having the oil change done properly, but fortunately there were no leaks or loose parts or other signs of sabotage afterward. Kind of ruins the rest of my day when I have to do that, and I'm sure he felt the same way. It would be so much easier just to do the job right the first time, but apparently that's the path of most resistance for some people. Frankly I blame the process as designed by Porsche. It's simply not possible to drain, refill, and verify a precise amount of oil in these cars in a reasonable amount of shop time -- meaning 30 minutes or less -- and that's the engineers' fault, plain and simple. The dealers and the owners both get the short end of that particular (dip)stick.
I hate to disappoint you but even the Porsche dealer uses service express guys,especially on busy days. And the oil a dealer uses does not unfortunately come from a bottle,but from a big container which used a Venturi effect system and the oil is being pumped out directly into your oil fill plug. The risk of overfilling is pretty big. To disappoint you even further,the oil found in those containers is recycled oil.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
After all the issues I have had with my Porsche Centre (many of which still can't be mentioned (at least until my PTS GTS turns up))... I refuse to let them do anything for me except supply me with cars.

I get all my work done now by people that care..

I had the 20,000 service completed last week, no issues and a fraction of the Porsche price. The whole service was filmed so I could watch it back at my leisure. All filters, engine oil and brake fluid change and inspection for approx 400 English pounds... There were no issues found with the car at all. Still have 3mm of tread on the front tyres, rears were replaced at 14,000 miles.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8594...vice-work.html
LOL! That's a new one!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
The whole service was filmed so I could watch it back at my leisure.

This is a little much IMO... rather watch something else.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:16 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 535 Posts

this kind of story is becoming more common for all brands. It is the result of poorly trained mechanics, poor work ethics from the younger generation, and management pure focus on saving money and cutting corners so they end up losing good people and the turnover rate is high. The only difference between the luxury brands and others is that you get treated well < free loaners, free gas, free star buck's coffee, nice receptionist offering you a bottle of water the moment you hit the door etc> so we don't as upset. Try to service a GTR at a Nissan dealer where you still have to ask the receptionist for a coin to get a cup of bad coffee.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:59 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I hate to disappoint you but even the Porsche dealer uses service express guys,especially on busy days. And the oil a dealer uses does not unfortunately come from a bottle,but from a big container which used a Venturi effect system and the oil is being pumped out directly into your oil fill plug. The risk of overfilling is pretty big. To disappoint you even further,the oil found in those containers is recycled oil.
Fortunately, at the dealer here there's a large plate-glass window in the lounge where you can watch all of the shenanigans on the shop floor, and/or film them if that's your thing.

There's definitely a Venturi effect going on at the cashier's desk, though...
Old 09-30-2015, 10:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
There's definitely a Venturi effect going on at the cashier's desk, though...
Old 10-01-2015, 09:51 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Funny, I'm in TX and have to buy my cars from my Miami dealer. Wish I could service them there too.

Quick Reply: I hate to post this!