Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 pics from RRV

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:33 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

That beige color leather seats look like a brown paper bag/ cardboard and doesn't match with the black seat back nor the silver exterior.

Originally Posted by MKW
A few of my closer- in 991.2 pics from Fri and Sat showing the details that press or factory images never bother with publishing because only guys like us wanna see them :

Old 09-28-2015, 11:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Speaks for itself ...

Old 09-29-2015, 12:24 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

angled close up of the Carrera S IV wheel to better show the spokes' side profiles

we should take a poll of this type of spoke pattern to determine whether one sees five " V " s or five " U " s !

Old 09-29-2015, 12:26 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
close up of the Carrera S IV wheel :

That I like. The big sized PCCB's are nice too!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:30 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan991
If vertical was necessary for cooling, why the black color? I think some kind of body color design would have been better. Seems like it clashes with some of the lighter colored cars.
It looks like a leaf or grasshopper catcher to me with the slats facing the debris possibly coming over the car. Where on the the 991 the louvers are horizontal and reversed for things to be able to blow over.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:12 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
at the intro, the developers said the vertical slat grill was mandated by the requirement to " waterfall " ( my word) cooling air down at its trailing edge , then route it through the two turbo intercoolers which are located near those two air outlets in the lateral bumper , since these cars dont have the side scoops that perform that function in the " Turbo "
That's what I heard at the design session at RRV. The narrower body car apparently proved to be quite challenging. Not only is there less room to put the intercoolers in the first place, but unlike the .1 Turbo, there is also no room over the rear wheels to direct air to the intercoolers from side scoops. And the side air ram effect of the wider hips could not be used. So they had to figure out a way to mesh the engineering and aesthetic demands, and this was the solution. Form follows function. Might take some getting used to. If anyone prefers poor performance with "nicer" looks, there's probably a way to retrofit the horizontal slats back on there.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:35 AM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I will keep my .1 forever ..haha
Old 09-29-2015, 03:41 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Default 991.2 pics from RRV

I did not like the PICTURES when I saw them and lamented that I was happy that I recently took delivery of my 2016 4GTS. After seeing the car in the metal at RENNSPORT I now feel that they did a remarkable job, given the parameters with which they had to work. At the show, the new design grew on me and I now like it, although I see NO desire or necessity to upgrade in the near future. Maybe in 10 YEARS or so ...........
Old 09-29-2015, 04:12 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David in Talent
I did not like the PICTURES when I saw them and lamented that I was happy that I recently took delivery of my 2016 4GTS. After seeing the car in the metal at RENNSPORT I now feel that they did a remarkable job, given the parameters with which they had to work. At the show, the new design grew on me and I now like it, although I see NO desire or necessity to upgrade in the near future. Maybe in 10 YEARS or so ...........
I am the same way. My build will be done December 15th, GTS with aerokit cup etc. I saw the cars in person just a week ago in CO with the Porsche engineers going through the mountains testing etc. Talked to the software engineers and I listened to one of the new cars with the sport exhaust start up.

I like the old look and for sure the old sound from what I heard on the new units. But to each their own. They are remarkable machines and many will grasp on to them for sure. All wheel steer, lil more power etc. But I am so glad I got what I got coming.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Been saying this all along. The styling 'updates' just look like change for change sake, rather than anything that actually improves the look of the car. It's not horrible simply because it would take more than this to really mess up the iconic beauty of the 911, but it's certainly not an improvement. It's sad because I really thought Porsche nailed it with the 991 in terms of getting back to a cleaner, sleeker design of the car.
This face lift does seem to offer one solid improvement... the door handles in photos look smoother. Also, the models we're seeing in these photos are equipped with European bumper covers and therefore wider license plate bays. These could have some positive affect versus the USA narrow bays?
Old 10-04-2015, 01:44 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
Also, the models we're seeing in these photos are equipped with European bumper covers and therefore wider license plate bays. These could have some positive affect versus the USA narrow bays?

good point..in person , with 991.1s nearby to compare, the rear ends of the 991.2 DO look narrower as in pics due to optics of the thin vertical grill strakes and the VW bug like exhaust pipe layout on the two eurospec S versions at RRV which each had optional PSE . I imagine the US versions will look even more pinched in from rear view esp with the PSE equipped models vs current model as our license plate cut out area is much narrower than these pics with the wider Euro bumper cut outs

Old 10-04-2015, 02:41 PM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Looks like they hired a drainage engineer to design the grill. Joking aside, the grill hasn't grown on me yet. I haven't seen the car in person, so maybe it just doesn't photo well. I agree with a prior post that this was likely a case of form follows function.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2015, 03:00 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by horns
Looks like they hired a drainage engineer to design the grill. Joking aside, the grill hasn't grown on me yet. I haven't seen the car in person, so maybe it just doesn't photo well. I agree with a prior post that this was likely a case of form follows function.
And theres the two leaves in the picture ready to be dragged in lol
Old 10-04-2015, 06:55 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David in Talent

I haven't seen a .2 in person yet, but I think I could live with everything except the God-awful grill.

I'm SO glad I ordered my .1 GTS.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:59 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

I saw them in person a couple weeks ago in the CO mountains. Pulled over in some lil town and the cars and the engineers were testing them. Just a stroke of luck to run into them. I am the same way. Pretty much everything but the grill. Oh and the sound of the PSE I heard.

Quick Reply: 991.2 pics from RRV