Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I think I just found my first mod.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by X2Board
I think I just found my first mod.
I'll be putting mine back in the car this weekend!
Old 01-12-2016, 02:24 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Yes we are now controlling the dynamic engine mount with these V2 controllers. In fact, our engineer, Michael Levitas, discovered that Porsche left a hole in the G table for low levels of load, creating a brief moment of full soft when, for example, making quick lateral transitions. He filled in this hole and said it made a huge difference on tracks like VIR going up through the esses.
Hi there.

My 991 GTS has factory PASM. Will putting this on my car, and when I enable sport mode act more like factory PDCC in the corners, or even better as to keeping the car flatter on plane and not diving in turns? And how about the normal ride compared to my factory ride in normal? Will it be a bit more forgiving for comfort. Am interested! Thanks
Old 01-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Hi there.

My 991 GTS has factory PASM. Will putting this on my car, and when I enable sport mode act more like factory PDCC in the corners, or even better as to keeping the car flatter on plane and not diving in turns? And how about the normal ride compared to my factory ride in normal? Will it be a bit more forgiving for comfort. Am interested! Thanks
The short answer is "yes"; understand that PASM shocks are dynamic, they can in near "real time" adjust their compression and rebound, additionally the
car has multiple sensors that can measure acceleration in 3D... and on the
991 with PADM (Active Drivetrain Management) its possible to adjust the
degree to which the drivetrain is coupled to the chassis.

What DSC does, is essentially allow the car's sensor input to (more) dynamically control both PASM and PADM, so it can stiffen the "outside"
shocks in a turn, or the fronts while braking etc

now PDCC controls roll in corners by varying the degree to which the
ARBs/swaybars resist weight transfer to the outside of a corner and flatten
the car, they effectively increase the spring rate for the outside shocks.

DSC has 2 modes normal and sport, just like the OEM PASM system,
additionally it is programmable via a PC app and a USB cable... so if you
dont like TPC's programming you can change it ...

So DSC can be programmed to create a similar effect to PDCC when cornering and also in a straight line... it can also do more!

but note that the way PASM and PDCC achieve this flattening is different in the way it is achieved ...

p.s
my "seat of the pants" wholly subjective experience of the current DSC programming on my GTS Cab is that "normal" is significantly more
compliant than OEM, and DSC Sport, is closer to OEM "sport" mode ... I plan to play with the DSC mappings to tune the car more to my liking
Old 01-12-2016, 05:58 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
my "seat of the pants" wholly subjective experience of the current DSC programming on my GTS Cab is that "normal" is significantly more
compliant than OEM, and DSC Sport, is closer to OEM "sport" mode ... I plan to play with the DSC mappings to tune the car more to my liking
Does the "compliance" still result in flatter cornering? I'm thinking of driving up to Jessup to have them do the install, but it sounds like there may be some fine tuning to get it the way that I want it.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by X2Board
Does the "compliance" still result in flatter cornering? I'm thinking of driving up to Jessup to have them do the install, but it sounds like there may be some fine tuning to get it the way that I want it.
1) save your money, do it yourself, its about as difficult as connecting your set top box to the tv ...

2) For what I think you are looking for, you are going to have to tune the maps yourself to attain flatter cornering... so get a 3ft+ long USB cable and leave it
plugged into the installed DSC so you can easily access it in order to reload its suspension maps.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:38 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

The short answer is "yes"; understand that PASM shocks are dynamic, they can in near "real time" adjust their compression and rebound, additionally the

What DSC does, is essentially allow the car's sensor input to (more) dynamically control both PASM and PADM, so it can stiffen the "outside"

So DSC can be programmed to create a similar effect to PDCC when cornering and also in a straight line... it can also do more!

but note that the way PASM and PDCC achieve this flattening is different in the way it is achieved ...

p.s
Thanks much Larry. I was on the phone with them today for 30 mins as well. I am for sure going to do this come spring when I can get my car out. Would u upgrade to the Bilsteins for the quicker dampening rate? I won't be tracking. Just spirited driving and cruising.

Updated: I was wrong about the millisecond response times that I just posted and have deleted that part. DSC talks about it later in the tread to correct my mistake. Thanks DSC!

Last edited by stratocaster69; 01-13-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks much Larry. I was on the phone with them today for 30 mins as well. I am for sure going to do this come spring when I can get my car out. Would u upgrade to the Bilsteins for the quicker dampening rate? I won't be tracking. Just spirited driving and cruising.

I think he was saying the current units I have are around 80 milliseconds response, and of course upgrading to Bilsteins makes the response time way quicker. Than there is the spring factor to think about too lol Man, good stuff!
Oh I didnt realize that the damptronics have a faster response time than the OEM shocks - interesting.

I'd be tempted to perhaps do that on my GT3 but I doubt that its needed for
the street ...

as with any modification programme I'd recommend doing things in steps that way you can evaluate each modifications individual and overall contribution to the performance...

Another advantage of the damptronics is that you can adjust the ride height as well as corner balance ... but again I'd hold off dropping the extra $3k+
labor until you have tried the DSC on the OEM shocks ...
Old 01-12-2016, 07:37 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Oh I didnt realize that the damptronics have a faster response time than the OEM shocks - interesting.

I'd be tempted to perhaps do that on my GT3 but I doubt that its needed for
the street ...

as with any modification programme I'd recommend doing things in steps that way you can evaluate each modifications individual and overall contribution to the performance...

Another advantage of the damptronics is that you can adjust the ride height as well as corner balance ... but again I'd hold off dropping the extra $3k+
labor until you have tried the DSC on the OEM shocks ...
Wise words and I agree. Put the DSC on with stock unit and observe. Man this is really a neat thing they are selling.
Yes he was claiming the Bilsteins are nearly twice as quick on response time compared to stock units. Think he was saying at 60 mph, they are responding every 6inches to the road.

Than he was saying that even in normal mode that if you get on the gas it stiffens up more. Due to measuring parameters like throttle response etc. U know this as you put it in an earlier post, but what it does is amazing to say the least! Thanks for the response Larry
Old 01-12-2016, 07:39 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

p.s
You are totally correct. Talked to them today for 30 mins.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Wise words and I agree. Put the DSC on with stock unit and observe. Man this is really a neat thing they are selling.

Yes he was claiming the Bilsteins are nearly twice as quick on response time compared to stock units. Think he was saying at 60 mph, they are responding every 6inches to the road.

Than he was saying that even in normal mode that if you get on the gas it stiffens up more. Due to measuring parameters like throttle response etc. Thanks for the response Larry
WOW ... that's quite a selling point for the Bilsteins over stock ... again though
I'd probably put them on my GT3 rather than on the GTS to see the benefit of
the response on the track ...

I wish you could ride in my GT3 with and without DSC, even on the slow old
OEM PASMs the ride is noticeably improved over stock ... I shudder to think
what it would be like with the damptronics ...

I'll certainly swap to the B16's when time comes, not sure if I want to drop
the cash to replace my current shocks that are effectively brand new ...

also - I would imagine that if you went to faster reacting shocks you might
need to reprogram the DSC to take full advantage of the faster response
time.

I'm very happy with the DSC maps on my GT3, but I want to play with the
maps on the GTS (which have not had as much development time from TPC
as the GT3) to tune them more to my liking/driving style ...
Old 01-12-2016, 07:58 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

WOW ... that's quite a selling point for the Bilsteins over stock ... again though

time.

I wish I could to. Bet that car of yours holds like a sled on rails. I agree on the GTS mod as well. For an every day spirited car I am more than sure the module swap out would satisfy me. If I tracked a GT3 like you, than a different story. That is your passion!

I forgot to add he was claiming that they have good luck with the B8s as well. Even on the track. Cheaper and seemed like it worked as well for some reason. I am not saavy on this stuff, but DCS can explain if you talk to them. I was getting so much information that I was a bit overwhelmed lol

But yes this is good for Bilsteins too. Great actually. I love stuff that is easy to install, and enjoy. It will be very interesting what you find out when you get in there on your track car and play with parameters. (:
Old 01-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I wish I could to. Bet that car of yours holds like a sled on rails. I agree on the GTS mod as well. For an every day spirited car I am more than sure the module swap out would satisfy me. If I tracked a GT3 like you, than a different story. That is your passion!

I forgot to add he was claiming that they have good luck with the B8s as well. Even on the track. Cheaper and seemed like it worked as well for some reason. I am not saavy on this stuff, but DCS can explain if you talk to them. I was getting so much information that I was a bit overwhelmed lol

But yes this is good for Bilsteins too. Great actually. I love stuff that is easy to install, and enjoy. It will be very interesting what you find out when you get in there on your track car and play with parameters. (:
I dont think the B8's are adaptive ...

the DSC is a breeze to install - takes about 15 mins ... almost no tools required (maybe a trim tool)
Old 01-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

time.

If you do the math (at 80 milliseconds) you'll find that the standard SPASM shocks are correcting themselves 12.5 times per second - probably fast enough.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
If you do the math (at 80 milliseconds) you'll find that the standard SPASM shocks are correcting themselves 12.5 times per second - probably fast enough.
certainly for street use - if you were really competitive on track it *might* be worth something faster ... I think their Tractive DDA system is something in the region of 6-9ms response...

probably a better motivation for changing to B16's is to get the adjustable ride height and ability to corner balance ... the faster response is gravy

Quick Reply: Reserve your 991 DSC module