Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera or Targa ? ( i need some advice )

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:42 AM
Manh Hoang
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carrera or Targa ? ( i need some advice )

Hi guys.

I'm a new member in the forum. And i'm a fan of 911s. Currently, i'm considering to purchase a targa 4 gts and carrera 4 gts 2016. Actually, I prefer the targa. However, in my country, the structure and quality of road is not good. There are a lot of potholes and saddle-back road. So i worried about there will happen some problem after using the targa in long time. In example, the soft roof, could it be as: spoil, leak or penetration of water... ? Specially, some people told me that after long time, the roof is not tight any more. You can feel some rattle from the top. Is that true or not ? So can you guys give me some advice or sharing to me some experience, please ? I'm so appreciate about that.

Thank you so much !
Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I recently bought a used 2014 Targa4S with 13.5k miles.

I've only had the car two months - it was my dream car - and frankly I'm extremely disappointed with the rattles and squeaks. When I drive with the top up, there are several distinct noises I am getting:

1. A rubbery creak/squeak which sounds like the roof
2. A plastic creak/rattles from a trim bar in the back (I was able to reduce this to a tolerable level by padding with Velcro.)
3. A metallic rattle from the Alcantera headliner under the rollbar which is super annoying and activates on textured pavement
4. A similar rattle from somewhere in the dash or steering column area

These may sound like minor nitpicking, but they absolutely contribute to an overall loss of satisfaction with the car. I've spent more on this Porsche than any other car, as I was so smitten with the great Targa look and cool convertible.

Some days I wish I'd kept my 997.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:29 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Coupe is your best bet at minimizing rattles.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Manh Hoang
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DerekS
I recently bought a used 2014 Targa4S with 13.5k miles.

I've only had the car two months - it was my dream car - and frankly I'm extremely disappointed with the rattles and squeaks. When I drive with the top up, there are several distinct noises I am getting:

1. A rubbery creak/squeak which sounds like the roof
2. A plastic creak/rattles from a trim bar in the back (I was able to reduce this to a tolerable level by padding with Velcro.)
3. A metallic rattle from the Alcantera headliner under the rollbar which is super annoying and activates on textured pavement
4. A similar rattle from somewhere in the dash or steering column area

These may sound like minor nitpicking, but they absolutely contribute to an overall loss of satisfaction with the car. I've spent more on this Porsche than any other car, as I was so smitten with the great Targa look and cool convertible.

Some days I wish I'd kept my 997.
Well, sound is so bad. I do not know how the targa since 19xx is still working until now? How do you think about that ?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Manh Hoang
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Selo
Coupe is your best bet at minimizing rattles.
Thanks for your advice. But in your experience, the exhaust sound both of them is similar, isn't it? And do you feel that the steering wheel and the brake of the Carrera is harder than the Targa ?
Old 09-21-2015, 02:02 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Manh Hoang
Well, sound is so bad. I do not know how the targa since 19xx is still working until now? How do you think about that ?
I can't speak to the original Targas, I've never owned one.

I can say that of all the Porsches I've owned (this is my 6th) this is the first one I've felt anything negative about.

I'm working on the rattles one by one, my hope is that once they are all quieted down my satisfaction will increase.

Quick Reply: Carrera or Targa ? ( i need some advice )