Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I do a brake in oil change or follow Porsche 10,000 recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesTKirk
I spoke with the SM today, he asked me if I had printed out the oil change offer at $89.95 and when I told him that I did, he said they would honor the original price. No hassle. No objection. Nicely done!

More than than that, he told me they would honor it at the 1 YR/10,000 mile interval (which for me will be April of 2016) as he did not recommend changing the oil at 5 months/1,700 miles. FWIW, he thought it was a waste to change the oil any earlier than the Porsche-recommended service interval.
That is super. They probably do not have a legal obligation to honor they misprinted price, but it's good to hear (and good business) that they did that!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:18 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STG991
You'll never find a concrete answer.

This subject has been beat to death before. All guys quoting reps from the oil companies, uncles, Chuck911, and the Pope on what is best.

BMW still covers the service right? A lot of BMW's are leased and end up back at the dealer? MOST BMW's see ALOT more miles than Porsche's. How many over 100K 911's do you see out there? They don't get driven as much. Fact.

Oil changes are part of the marketing plan.

How long can you possibly stretch out to make a new owner feel like he's buying a car with reasonable maintenance costs?

You already hear the bitching about dealer service visits. Part of the sales game is maintenance costs. Porsche and the other Euros already have a bad rep.

It's an oil change. If it makes you feel better do it. Any Porsche dealer will do one for under $200. There are always the owners who will DIY.

This topic will never have a concrete answer. It's all about averages. The "average" car and the "average" new Porsche owner, blah, blah, blah.

I'm in the "it can't hurt" camp. I'd rather do what's best for my car, and not what's best for the masses or "average" Porsche owner. I'm not an average kinda guy.

I'm with Lex on this one. Read his posts. I read up on things that other people have done the work on, and base my conclusions off of that.

I keep my car cleaner than the "average" guy too and don't bake it in the sun all summer too. Both things that will be more apparent 10yrs from now on the car than the next 2yrs. I just take care of my stuff.
=+1
Old 10-16-2015, 10:24 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
Agree. My experience shows this to be about 20,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Lex I read somewhere about your magnetic drain plug for your 991. What brand do you use and have you ever found any shavings on it?

I am with you on the early change outs as well. Always do it even on our big farm tractors. 100s to 1000s of hours later, never burn a drop of oil.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:39 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Lex I read somewhere about your magnetic drain plug for your 991. What brand do you use and have you ever found any shavings on it? I am with you on the early change outs as well. Always do it even on our big farm tractors. 100s to 1000s of hours later, never burn a drop of oil.
L&N Engineering. I ask the dealership to inspect the magnet. Nothing reported.

Careful. Torque spec with magnetic billet plug is only 19 ft.lbs.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:45 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

L&N Engineering. I ask the dealership to inspect the magnet. Nothing reported.

Careful. Torque spec with magnetic billet plug is only 19 ft.lbs.
Thanks Lex very much.

Last edited by stratocaster69; 10-16-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:05 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I've heard of people just changing the filter and leaving the oil. Oil doesnt lose viscocity. Dealer did that on my MB. When they repaired a leak on the head. Any down side to this practice.?
Old 10-17-2015, 10:28 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I've heard of people just changing the filter and leaving the oil. Oil doesnt lose viscocity. Dealer did that on my MB. When they repaired a leak on the head. Any down side to this practice.?
Is this even a serious question? Go read the UOAs from my posts. You'll see just how much viscosity is lost in the factory fill after only 1,000 miles.

As for "just changing the oil filter" this is actually a very good practice to do 1/2 way through an oil change interval. I don't do it, but some people do and recommend it.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:17 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Is this even a serious question? Go read the UOAs from my posts. You'll see just how much viscosity is lost in the factory fill after only 1,000 miles.

As for "just changing the oil filter" this is actually a very good practice to do 1/2 way through an oil change interval. I don't do it, but some people do and recommend it.
I usually change mine out at the first 500 and than 1000 and than every 2500. I have done it this way for ever and never had issues. I believe in fresh oil free from engine particulates on a a new motor.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:28 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
I usually change mine out at the first 500 and than 1000 and than every 2500. I have done it this way for ever and never had issues. I believe in fresh oil free from engine particulates on a a new motor.
Changing the oil that frequently is also detrimental to the engine.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
How so?
Old 10-17-2015, 01:42 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

I used to be a grease monkey on gas and Diesel engines and beg to differ. New engines with lots of particulate matter from new parts mashing and higher friction and heat makes the oil lose its viscosity. Fresh is always best.

From sports cars to tractors to heavy equipment I have never had a detrimental effect other than a little increased cost.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Duke I
How so?
Well the prevailing wisdom here is, too frequent of an oil change exposes the motor to high levels of fresh oil with fresh detergent packages. I've never seen a whole lot of proof to support it though.

The most detriment is done to your wallet and your threads of your oil plug!
Old 10-17-2015, 01:52 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Well the prevailing wisdom here is, too frequent of an oil change exposes the motor to high levels of fresh oil with fresh detergent packages. I've never seen a whole lot of proof to support it though.

The most detriment is done to your wallet and your threads of your oil plug!
You are right. I read up on volatility and boil off as well. I may be wrong. Would love to know for sure. They need to sell pre boiled oil. Lol
Old 10-17-2015, 02:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

IIRC my '96 Mustang GT owners manual called for 3K mile oil/filter services which I had done on time. When I sold car with over 140K miles the engine was just fine.

I only owned my '01 Camaro Z28 for 4 or 5 months but put 28K miles on it in that time and had the oil changed every 5K miles and the engine was just fine when I sold the car.

My '02 Boxster has received 5K mile oil/filter services and with just over 295K miles the engine is just fine.

My '02 Golf TDi received 5K mile oil/filter services and the engine was just fine when I sold the car with over 140K miles.

My '06 GTO likewise received 5K mile oil/filter services and the engine was quite healthy (understatement!) with over 40K miles when I traded it in on a new Porsche Cayman S.

My '03 Turbo that I bought used with 10K miles on it has received 5K mile oil/filter services ever since and the car now has over 138K miles and the engine is as strong as ever.

The detergents in oil are really mild and do not harm anything. But they help keep sludge from forming by keeping particulate matter in suspension. (This is one reason why the oil should be drained hot.)

Also, the anti-corrision additive package is very critical to combating the build up of acids in the oil which arise from water and other combustion by-products combining.

The concern is not these acids will eat through the block but the damage they can do to seals, gaskets, and bearing surfaces with the risk of serious problems down the road.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:40 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
How so?
Viscosity increases over time. Also, the oil stabilizes after its boil-off point at around 3000 miles.

Quick Reply: Should I do a brake in oil change or follow Porsche 10,000 recommendation.