Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Should I do a brake in oil change or follow Porsche 10,000 recommendation. (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/894539-should-i-do-a-brake-in-oil-change-or-follow-porsche-10-000-recommendation.html)

trucheli 09-19-2015 10:54 PM

Should I do a brake in oil change or follow Porsche 10,000 recommendation.

My 2015 991 GTS has 1000 miles and I am thinking about doing an early oil change at 1200 miles. As some of you know I have owned several M3s and either the V8 or the in line 6 twin turbo require a 1200 miles brake in oil change. If BMW considers that a naturally aspirated engine needs a brake in oil change how come Porsche does not follow the same reasoning?. I wonder how many have done early oil changes as oppose to 10,000 miles.

SDaddy 09-19-2015 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by trucheli (Post 12605730)
My 2015 991 GTS has 1000 miles and I am thinking about doing an early oil change at 1200 miles. As some of you know I have owned several M3s and either the V8 or the in line 6 twin turbo require a 1200 miles brake in oil change. If BMW considers that a naturally aspirated engine needs a brake in oil change how come Porsche does not follow the same reasoning?. I wonder how many have done early oil changes as oppose to 10,000 miles.

There is lots of discussion on this topic. There are two camps along the lines you have identified. You need to decide which you're in.... FWIW, I don't see any "downside" to changing the "break-in" oil early.

trucheli 09-19-2015 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by SDaddy (Post 12605743)
There is lots of discussion on this topic. There are two camps along the lines you have identified. You need to decide which you're in.... FWIW, I don't see any "downside" to changing the "break-in" oil early.

I have read the two camps but I have not heard any explanation of why two manufacturers that build high reving engines don't have the same brake in procedures.

Dgags 09-19-2015 11:53 PM

An early oil change makes me feel better. I don't think an "explanation" why it's not needed would make me change my mind.

Duke I 09-20-2015 12:04 AM

^^^This.

Seemed like a good idea to me -- I did it at 1000 mi. Someone -- wish I could provide attribution -- suggested an early may remove any machining or assembly tailings. Plus, it'll certainly not hurt.

MagicRat 09-20-2015 05:16 AM

I did an early one too. Cheap given cost of car, and excessive kindness to loved ones never hurt anybody!

LexVan 09-20-2015 06:59 AM

On all my new vehicles, I always do an early oil change. At 1,000 miles, and then every 5,000 miles thereafter on the 911. Have a look at my UOA thread, and you can see why it's a good idea to get the factory fill out sooner than 10,000 miles. Much sooner.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8103...-on-991-a.html

STG 09-20-2015 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by trucheli
I have read the two camps but I have not heard any explanation of why two manufacturers that build high reving engines don't have the same brake in procedures.

You'll never find a concrete answer.

This subject has been beat to death before. All guys quoting reps from the oil companies, uncles, Chuck911, and the Pope on what is best.

BMW still covers the service right? A lot of BMW's are leased and end up back at the dealer? MOST BMW's see ALOT more miles than Porsche's. How many over 100K 911's do you see out there? They don't get driven as much. Fact.

Oil changes are part of the marketing plan.

How long can you possibly stretch out to make a new owner feel like he's buying a car with reasonable maintenance costs?

You already hear the bitching about dealer service visits. Part of the sales game is maintenance costs. Porsche and the other Euros already have a bad rep.

It's an oil change. If it makes you feel better do it. Any Porsche dealer will do one for under $200. There are always the owners who will DIY.

This topic will never have a concrete answer. It's all about averages. The "average" car and the "average" new Porsche owner, blah, blah, blah.

I'm in the "it can't hurt" camp. I'd rather do what's best for my car, and not what's best for the masses or "average" Porsche owner. I'm not an average kinda guy.

I'm with Lex on this one. Read his posts. I read up on things that other people have done the work on, and base my conclusions off of that.

I keep my car cleaner than the "average" guy too and don't bake it in the sun all summer too. Both things that will be more apparent 10yrs from now on the car than the next 2yrs. I just take care of my stuff.

trucheli 09-20-2015 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 12606253)
On all my new vehicles, I always do an early oil change. At 1,000 miles, and then every 5,000 miles thereafter on the 911. Have a look at my UOA thread, and you can see why it's a good idea to get the factory fill out sooner than 10,000 miles. Much sooner.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8103...-on-991-a.html

I have previously read your thread and I will follow the same schedule since I will keep the car for at least five years. I have never had to worry about oil changes before with BMW since I kept my cars for only one year or less.

Porsche_nuts 09-20-2015 09:56 AM

deleted

LexVan 09-20-2015 10:15 AM

When you're buying and negotiating on a new Porsche and you're getting close to the end, ask them to include the first oil change for no charge.

I just bought a new non-Porsche SUV on Friday, and most of the dealerships I talked to all included the first oil charge for free without even asking. I think a lot of them do this just to get you in the door and started experiencing their service departments. The real profit center of the brick and mortar.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

trucheli 09-20-2015 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by STG991 (Post 12606354)
You'll never find a concrete answer.

This subject has been beat to death before. All guys quoting reps from the oil companies, uncles, Chuck911, and the Pope on what is best.

BMW still covers the service right? A lot of BMW's are leased and end up back at the dealer? MOST BMW's see ALOT more miles than Porsche's. How many over 100K 911's do you see out there? They don't get driven as much. Fact.

Oil changes are part of the marketing plan.

How long can you possibly stretch out to make a new owner feel like he's buying a car with reasonable maintenance costs?

You already hear the bitching about dealer service visits. Part of the sales game is maintenance costs. Porsche and the other Euros already have a bad rep.

It's an oil change. If it makes you feel better do it. Any Porsche dealer will do one for under $200. There are always the owners who will DIY.

This topic will never have a concrete answer. It's all about averages. The "average" car and the "average" new Porsche owner, blah, blah, blah.

I'm in the "it can't hurt" camp. I'd rather do what's best for my car, and not what's best for the masses or "average" Porsche owner. I'm not an average kinda guy.

I'm with Lex on this one. Read his posts. I read up on things that other people have done the work on, and base my conclusions off of that.

I keep my car cleaner than the "average" guy too and don't bake it in the sun all summer too. Both things that will be more apparent 10yrs from now on the car than the next 2yrs. I just take care of my stuff.

I don't think marketing is the reason why BMW requires 1200 miles brake in oil changes on their M cars. More like the type of oil they use for brake in that needs to be changed.
My dealer quoted me $395 for the oil change, why such a disparity in price?
Like you I am very OCD with my cars and now more since this one will be a keeper.

LexVan 09-20-2015 10:23 AM

Just for clarity, Porsche does NOT use a break in oil at the factory fill.

My oil changes are right at $200 and I bring and supply my own oil. Mobil 5W50.

Your dealership charges sound about $95 too high.

STG 09-20-2015 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by trucheli
I don't think marketing is the reason why BMW requires 1200 miles brake in oil changes on their M cars. More like the type of oil they use for brake in that needs to be changed.
My dealer quoted me $395 for the oil change, why such a disparity in price?
Like you I am very OCD with my cars and now more since this one will be a keeper.

I wasn't clear. Marketing on Porsche's part. Smarts on BMW's part.

As far as cost of an oil change. Whether $200-$400, it really doesn't matter. Shop around. Each dealer is independently owned and set their own pricing. Some better than others as we all know. Obviously we're getting gouged a little, same goes for Porsche prices overall.

These new 911's will depreciate 30-40K in the first two years, and like $600-$800 a month for years after that. Look at the big picture.

Thinking about having the car out of warranty? I'd rather have an engine that was maintained the best way possible. Oil changes and proper service.

trucheli 09-20-2015 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 12606449)
Just for clarity, Porsche does NOT use a break in oil at the factory fill.

My oil changes are right at $200 and I bring and supply my own oil. Mobil 5W50.

Your dealership charges sound about $95 too high.

I live in Miami with 90degree weather most of the year. Should I use 0W40 or 5W50?