Sponsored by:

New 991 GTS, Alcantara seats, or leather with cooling

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 12:53 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 991 GTS, Alcantara seats, or leather with cooling

I have a December build allocation on a 2016 GTS 991. I am going back and fourth on the Alcantara vs the cooled leather type seats.

The seat option was like 800 I think to add the cooling. Would you guys keep that option on the seats or would u stay true to the GTS Alcantara type seats. I live in NE and I have cooled seats on my pickup and rarely use them. I am more concerned with resale or what someone wants if they are buying the GTS. The car deviated a bit or one thats more true to the GTSs nature. I do like how the leather perforated cooled seats break up the interior a bit. That is the biggest thing, and the ease of wiping them down.

The other question is on the entry carbon fiber door sill lighting. Where the GTS emblem illuminates when you open the door. Should I delete that and keep it's original build or add it if I like it. That was 1300 I believe. But I don't want the car too optioned out either if I trade it in 5 years for possibly a GT3, if it has matured to my liking. I know you never get hardly anything back on many of the options.

Thanks

Last edited by stratocaster69; 09-13-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:03 PM
FlyingFinn911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the alcantara is actually fairly cool in the heat. I ordered mine with the GTS interior but maybe other who have the seats can pipe in.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I went with the leather and seat coolers in my 2016 GTS that is being built as I write this. I live in So Cal so it is a nice feature to have. Besides, the alcantara feels weird to me and I have a dog who would surely stain it. Like you said, the leather is much easier to clean, and I for one think the car looks gorgeous with a full leather interior. Enjoy your car!
Old 09-12-2015, 01:23 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys!
Old 09-12-2015, 01:24 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Both have their advantages. I had doubts about getting Alcantara, but really like it now that I have had it for about 8 months. I got the GTS Interior Package in Carmine Red and it looks fantastic, much better in my opinion then the standard Alcantara. To me, the GTS Interior Package really distinguishes the GTS from a regular Carrera, and was a must have for me.

I live in a warm climate (North Carolina) and didn't miss the ventilated seats this summer. I don't think you will miss them in New England. Keep in mind that the ventilated seats are just that. They are ventilated with fans that draw air through the seats, not cooled with AC air.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:31 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Both have their advantages. I had doubts about getting Alcantara, but really like it now that I have had it for about 8 months. I got the GTS Interior Package in Carmine Red and it looks fantastic, much better in my opinion then the standard Alcantara. To me, the GTS Interior Package really distinguishes the GTS from a regular Carrera, and was a must have for me.

I live in a warm climate (North Carolina) and didn't miss the ventilated seats this summer. I don't think you will miss them in New England. Keep in mind that the ventilated seats are just that. They are ventilated with fans that draw air through the seats, not cooled with AC air.
No kidding, I didn't know that they pulled air through the seats and were not cooled with AC. I always thought they pushed air through the holes. Do they have a softer feel to them under the bum when driving the car over the leather seat bottoms GSIRM3, for comfort? Thanks
Old 09-12-2015, 01:40 PM
sandbar
Instructor

I had Alcantara on my C7, I personally didn't care for it and had wished I ordered mine with the leather. Nothing wrong with it, as it holds up incredibly well. Is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I just prefer leather.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:41 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me start by saying I would never use the cooled seats. I chose the alcantara because it's unique to the GTS and GT3. Even a base Carrera can be ordered with cooling seats, and I like that the GTS has become a model unto itself. That's just me though.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:44 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Let me start by saying I would never use the cooled seats. I chose the alcantara because it's unique to the GTS and GT3. Even a base Carrera can be ordered with cooling seats, and I like that the GTS has become a model unto itself. That's just me though.
Great Point, thanks! Doesn't it have a more comfy driving feel to it as well?
Old 09-12-2015, 02:00 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

Prefer the heated & ventilated 18 ways in leather over the alcantara seats that were in the 928 GTS. T
Attached Images   
Old 09-12-2015, 02:21 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
No kidding, I didn't know that they pulled air through the seats and were not cooled with AC. I always thought they pushed air through the holes. Do they have a softer feel to them under the bum when driving the car over the leather seat bottoms GSIRM3, for comfort? Thanks
the Porsche vented seats pull air through but it " feels cool " right away on engine start up by extracting the heat and more importantly MOISTURE from the skin of your back . It works very on my all black interior that has been sitting in the sun...since w/o it the A/C fan blasting at my face and body does nothing for the hot and soaked shirt back until I am almost at my next destination sometimes !

I have that same " pull through " vented seat feature on another brand car ( and with light creamish -colored seats ) and in that one, strangely , it is basically useless even with its adjustable fan speed turned up max
Old 09-12-2015, 03:41 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
I am not exactly sure what you are asking, but if you are asking if the Alcantara seats have a softer feel than leather, the Alcantara material has a softer feel to it than leather, but as far as I know, the seats are the same whether you have leather or Alcantara. For example, as far as I know, the 18 way adjustable seats that I have are the same whether you get leather or Alcantara as far as the seat structure goes. The leather ventilated seats will of course have fans in them.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:17 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I am not exactly sure what you are asking, but if you are asking if the Alcantara seats have a softer feel than leather, the Alcantara material has a softer feel to it than leather, but as far as I know, the seats are the same whether you have leather or Alcantara. For example, as far as I know, the 18 way adjustable seats that I have are the same whether you get leather or Alcantara as far as the seat structure goes. The leather ventilated seats will of course have fans in them.
I was just wondering if they are more comfy compared to leather. Kind like when you have been riding in leather seats and jump into a car with cloth seats. The tad bit more or comfort that cloth has.

Thanks for the reply
Old 09-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,433 Likes on 2,244 Posts

ALACANTARA!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 692 Posts

I'm not a fan of Alcantara so when it came time to lock my build I went leather. I have a Targa GTS and I drive with the top down as often as possible. In the sun the vented seats are really nice. I went with a painted interior trim pieces to make up for the lack of GTS interior and I couldn't be happier with the results. Okay...the deviated stitching and red accent seat belts to make me jealous but I wouldn't take the Alcantara in trade.

Quick Reply: New 991 GTS, Alcantara seats, or leather with cooling