Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991 GTS, Alcantara seats, or leather with cooling

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015 | 12:59 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mander
Had alcantara on my Audi S4. I did not like how it wore over time. Much prefer the ventilated seats in my 09 C4S.
I hear you but check out this video. Kind of long but it shows it can be bought back to snuff. And I am sure this older stuff isn't as advanced as the newer stuff. Maybe I am wrong. But still a good video.
Old 09-13-2015 | 04:58 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

I'm a big fan of the ventilated seats and don't like the feel of alcantara.
It's obviously a very personal choice. If they could figure out how to make ventilated alcantara, would consider it on the seats (they haven't yet as far as I know), but I drove a couple of 997 GTSs with alcantara covered steering wheels and I really didn't like the feel.
Old 09-13-2015 | 06:55 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

That seems to be a lot of work to maintain alcantara. Granted this is an extreme case, but seems to me that it would be just easier to clean leather in the same neglected state.
Old 09-13-2015 | 07:15 PM
jgreer902
Advanced

ALCANTARA
You can get leather anywhere. ALcantara is soft, comfy, and special. I have cooled seats in my other vehicles and I would definetly not consider it a selling feature.
Old 09-13-2015 | 11:53 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
ventilated seats are one of those must have options IMO. Once you have them you'll never buy another car without. Man made fake suede vs leather? That's a no brainer too.
With all due respect, if you really do drive a yellow cabriolet Turbo than the cut of your jib is definitely a little different than a GTS buyer.
Old 09-14-2015 | 09:18 AM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

It's great that we get the choice; Alcantara gets my vote.

Just about every range of low-end car will have a leather option (inc Prius, Skoda, Nissan, etc) but Alcantara is special and only found in more fruity automobiles. And it’s not like the Alcantara package deletes all the leather – you’ll still end up with cow skin on large areas of seats, doors and dash.

If after 100k, the steering wheel is a little shiny, just clean it or get it recovered.

If I was after a pre-owned GTS, I’d be looking for the Acantara package as a must-have.
The following users liked this post:
Gixxerboy63 (03-12-2022)
Old 09-14-2015 | 09:36 AM
STG
Race Director

Some of the best sports cars in the world have ....

Depends on your taste and objectives ..
Old 09-14-2015 | 11:07 AM
jsaviano
Instructor

My 991 has the leather/ventilated seats and I think them great - but I live in the SE USA. I think, though, if I was ordering a GTS, I'd have to go with the full GTS interior package, Alcantara, etc.
Old 09-14-2015 | 04:14 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys and yes I am sticking with Alcantara. I only use the car for fun weekend or daily drives and am always cleaned up when I am in it, never have passengers since I have no kids and my fiancé refuses to ride with me most days because she says I have too many rules lol.

I just think of the GTS build and its a given for me. If the Alcantara ever needs a little cleaning it can be done. The steering wheel would be the biggest concern and if it goes to hell I will keep it and just put a neat carbon fiber one in there if I am keeping the car.
Old 09-14-2015 | 04:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Thanks guys and yes I am sticking with Alcantara. I only use the car for fun weekend or daily drives and am always cleaned up when I am in it, never have passengers since I have no kids and my fiancé refuses to ride with me most days because she says I have too many rules lol.

I just think of the GTS build and its a given for me. If the Alcantara ever needs a little cleaning it can be done. The steering wheel would be the biggest concern and if it goes to hell I will keep it and just put a neat carbon fiber one in there if I am keeping the car.
good call!
Old 09-14-2015 | 04:17 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STG991

Great point and I am sticking with the mouse fur. Its unique to that car! thanks
Old 09-14-2015 | 04:18 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
good call!
Thanks Larry. You were the one who initially swayed me on it and I appreciate it and I appreciate all the sincere inputs from both sides of the isle. Really great response from good peoples and a great forum!
Old 09-14-2015 | 08:10 PM
991GTS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by STG991

-Pictures of supercars with Alcantera-

Well put!
Old 09-14-2015 | 09:18 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Just some added input....Both are truly great....Thats why they call them "options". I have a 2009 Cayenne GTS with Alcantera and have really liked it a lot. Very luxurious feel to the interior of the car. Love the alcantera headliner...really classy. I also have a 2013 Panamera hybrid and 2014 Cayenne Diesel.......both with cooling seats. I live in So. Cal and the cooling seats do come in handy when its hot outside and you first get in the car. It definitly cold the leather off.......and feels good on your back. However, when I get in the cayenne with Alcantera, the seats are not as hot, so you really do not need the cooling option. I have a 2016 Targa GTS built which just left the factory. My kids really talked me into the Carmine Red GTS interior to match the Carmine red exterior. It is a very plush feel when you sit in a GTS with the alcantera (everyday when i pass a porsche dealership i have to stop and look) and i can HONESTLY say that one is not better than the other....... OPTIONS......don't you just love them....and Porsche makes $$$$$ off of them....... :-) CRAZY!
Old 09-14-2015 | 10:45 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the input and yes I have never seen so many options.

Quick Reply: New 991 GTS, Alcantara seats, or leather with cooling