Sponsored by:

New 991 GTS, Alcantara seats, or leather with cooling

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:12 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Some where I read someone posted something about BMW Alcantara and someone said it was different than Porsches product they use. Do u think there are different types etc?
Don't know, could be?

I run hot. Always have seats blowing in the Benz. This is a 100% must have for me, as cool as alcantara looks.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:15 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got ya, thanks!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:50 PM
991GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the Alcantara. It looks incredible. It doesn't get hot like leather but sometimes in the summer my GTS feels like an Alcantara oven inside (no sunroof) if the the car has been sitting in the sun. FYI, I love my illuminated carbon door sills. Worth the money.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:05 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 991GTS
I love the Alcantara. It looks incredible. It doesn't get hot like leather but sometimes in the summer my GTS feels like an Alcantara oven inside (no sunroof) if the the car has been sitting in the sun. FYI, I love my illuminated carbon door sills. Worth the money.

Thanks for the info and the door sills really look nice!
Old 09-12-2015, 11:09 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

When I begin my search for a used GTS, it will be for a car with leather seats. I hate the look and feel of alcantara. It is very cheap looking, IMO. I can barely tolerate an alcantara roof liner. More than that... no way!
Old 09-12-2015, 11:49 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Alcantara = Motorsports. It was designed by Porsche for it's grip, durability, and longevity. There is no right or wrong here. If you want a two door Panamera then order all the luxury options you want on your GTS. If you want a slightly detuned GT3 then order the performance stuff. You gotta love that we have the choice.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

For me the perforated leather seats with ventilation were a must have option. We all know that "alcantara" is Italian for "fake suede" right?

Take the leather w ventilation. On your first hot and sweaty day you will understand. You can't really see it in this pic but the leather is so nice with the perforations. Feels wonderful.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2015, 01:45 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Very Nice!
Old 09-13-2015, 07:07 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Sounds like you've made your selection, but if it's helpful, I'm endorsing it.

Actually, both alcantera and the 18-way seats. My car could only be ordered with the GTS interior package, so it wasn't a choice for me. I was initially a little disappointed that this means I couldn't get cooled seats and wasn't sure I like the look and feel of the alcantera. Now that I've lived with them for a thousand miles and multiple long stints, I'm very happy with my seats and think the interior looks great with the GTS package. As others have said, the 14 and 18-way seats fit differently, so with checking out which feel better to you, but I (and my discerning wife) are both big fans of the alcantera, which also seems to breath quite well.

Obviously, I can't speak to the long-term wear concerns, but there are different grades of the fabric and I suspect that Porsche has tested the version they're using for wear qualities and durability.

One word of advice, once you've locked your configuration, do everything you can to stop thinking about it. There were a couple of options that I wish I'd done differently, but now that I've taken delivery of my car I can't remember even what I was wishing I could change. Literally, I have no idea.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:57 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibmiked
If you want a two door Panamera then order all the luxury options you want on your GTS. If you want a slightly detuned GT3 then order the performance stuff. You gotta love that we have the choice.
Nicely said!
Old 09-13-2015, 12:32 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
Sounds like you've made your selection, but if it's helpful, I'm endorsing it.

Actually, both alcantera and the 18-way seats. My car could only be ordered with the GTS interior package, so it wasn't a choice for me. I was initially a little disappointed that this means I couldn't get cooled seats and wasn't sure I like the look and feel of the alcantera. Now that I've lived with them for a thousand miles and multiple long stints, I'm very happy with my seats and think the interior looks great with the GTS package. As others have said, the 14 and 18-way seats fit differently, so with checking out which feel better to you, but I (and my discerning wife) are both big fans of the alcantera, which also seems to breath quite well.

Obviously, I can't speak to the long-term wear concerns, but there are different grades of the fabric and I suspect that Porsche has tested the version they're using for wear qualities and durability.

One word of advice, once you've locked your configuration, do everything you can to stop thinking about it. There were a couple of options that I wish I'd done differently, but now that I've taken delivery of my car I can't remember even what I was wishing I could change. Literally, I have no idea.

Great point thanks and you are right. Get it figured out and than forget about the options. Done is done. Appreciate it!
Old 09-13-2015, 12:42 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ibmiked
Alcantara = Motorsports. It was designed by Porsche for it's grip, durability, and longevity. There is no right or wrong here. If you want a two door Panamera then order all the luxury options you want on your GTS. If you want a slightly detuned GT3 then order the performance stuff. You gotta love that we have the choice.
Great point thanks!
Old 09-13-2015, 12:48 PM
heartcolorgrey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, alcantara, Especially on the steering wheel, will soak up oils from human skin and begin to wear.

I personally didn't like the way alcantara felt on the steering wheel, almost like I was touching fuzz. Leather was alot more clean and styled for my liking.

Leather is a better bet long term. However if that isn't a concern, go with the alcantara and try something different.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:49 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ventilated seats are one of those must have options IMO. Once you have them you'll never buy another car without. Man made fake suede vs leather? That's a no brainer too.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:55 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Had alcantara on my Audi S4. I did not like how it wore over time. Much prefer the ventilated seats in my 09 C4S.

Quick Reply: New 991 GTS, Alcantara seats, or leather with cooling