Sponsored by:

991 PDK / GT3 PDK

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I am afraid that throwing it in N because you forgot the lever is in D, is not going to change even when the 'standard direction' becomes the Porsche default...
Old 09-14-2015, 01:06 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I am afraid that throwing it in N because you forgot the lever is in D, is not going to change even when the 'standard direction' becomes the Porsche default...
Walk me through that logic. If I'm in regular mode and not manual and im accelerating I pull down and what? Nothing happens because pulling down doesn't do anything. Pushing up puts it in neutral. Right?
Old 09-14-2015, 01:50 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
Walk me through that logic. If I'm in regular mode and not manual and im accelerating I pull down and what? Nothing happens because pulling down doesn't do anything. Pushing up puts it in neutral. Right?
Of course. When in D you should not move the lever to change gears. And that is not going to change when the shift/upshift direction reverses in the 991.2.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:19 AM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I think his point is that with the new manual shift directions, if you are accelerating with the shifter in D and you accidentally pull the shifter back to upshift, the transmission will not go to N.

On the other hand, if you are cruising along and step on the gas to accelerate and try to push the shifter forward to downshift, it will go to N.

Wouldn't most people use manual and the paddles anyway?

My Grand Cherokee has an interesting system. The stick does not have a manual position. You just pull the upshift paddle once to put it in the manual mode. To go back to automatic you pull the upshift paddle for about a second or second and a half.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:03 AM
Highyo
Pro

Of course. When in D you should not move the lever to change gears. And that is not going to change when the shift/upshift direction reverses in the 991.2.
This doesn't make sense. The lever and paddles both shift. My point is that sometimes I forget I am in d and pushing forward on a manual shift puts me in neutral whereas it wouldn't do that if it were the right direction. Doesnt matter what I should or should not be doing.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

This doesn't make sense. The lever and paddles both shift. My point is that sometimes I forget I am in d and pushing forward on a manual shift puts me in neutral whereas it wouldn't do that if it were the right direction. Doesnt matter what I should or should not be doing.
Sorry! I am lost. Perhaps we do not understand what you mean.

IF the shift lever is in D: When you push forward you hit N, in both the current 991.1 or the coming 991.2 - no difference.

IF the shift lever is in M (pulled left): When you push forward you upshift in a 991.1 and you will downshift in a 991.2

As far as I know there is no N position in M mode actuated by the shifter. To shift to N with the lever you need to push the shifter right to D and up to N. In some cars you can temporarily reach N pulling back both paddles simultaneously.

These are all the possible lever shifting positions.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:33 PM
Highyo
Pro

Sorry! I am lost. Perhaps we do not understand what you mean.

IF the shift lever is in D: When you push forward you hit N, in both the current 991.1 or the coming 991.2 - no difference.

IF the shift lever is in M (pulled left): When you push forward you upshift in a 991.1 and you will downshift in a 991.2

As far as I know there is no N position in M mode actuated by the shifter. To shift to N with the lever you need to push the shifter right to D and up to N. In some cars you can temporarily reach N pulling back both paddles simultaneously.

These are all the possible lever shifting positions.

so confused. but heres my response. there are two modes to be in, manual and automatic. in manual, you are over to the left, up is upshift, down is downshift. so from a stand still you are going to be pressing "up" to upshift.

if, as has happened before, you forget that you are not in manual mode (ie have not shifted the stick over to the left) and you are accelerating, when pushing "up" on the stick you throw the car into neutral. if the 997.2 has the opposite directions (aka, the "right" way), if you were to pull down (again in error) while in automatic mode, nothing would happen

see what i'm saying?
Old 09-14-2015, 05:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

so confused. but heres my response. there are two modes to be in, manual and automatic. in manual, you are over to the left, up is upshift, down is downshift. so from a stand still you are going to be pressing "up" to upshift.

if, as has happened before, you forget that you are not in manual mode (ie have not shifted the stick over to the left) and you are accelerating, when pushing "up" on the stick you throw the car into neutral. if the 997.2 has the opposite directions (aka, the "right" way), if you were to pull down (again in error) while in automatic mode, nothing would happen

see what i'm saying?
Not really. When you are in D, forward of that is N and backwards is a wall, in both cases (991.1 or 991.2). But... I covered that many posts ago.

If you are in D and but think you are in M and move the shifter, well...
Old 09-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Highyo
Pro

Not really. When you are in D, forward of that is N and backwards is a wall, in both cases (991.1 or 991.2). But... I covered that many posts ago.

If you are in D and but think you are in M and move the shifter, well...
That's what I have been saying all along. When I am in D but think I'm in M. Sheesh you must really hit it off with the ladies
Old 09-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Winegums
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad that I'm going to be getting my 911 after they changed the shift directions. Coming from an E46 M3 with SMG II, I would be seriously messed up for a while as the directions would be opposite!

I tend to use the stick more than the paddles when driving, anyone else?
Old 09-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by Winegums
I'm glad that I'm going to be getting my 911 after they changed the shift directions. Coming from an E46 M3 with SMG II, I would be seriously messed up for a while as the directions would be opposite!

I tend to use the stick more than the paddles when driving, anyone else?
yeah for me it's a pretty fair split between the two. im coming from an E92 M3 w the right direction. it's been very frustrating but muscle memory will kick in just in time for me to relearn ha
Old 09-15-2015, 11:59 AM
Winegums
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah for me it's a pretty fair split between the two. im coming from an E92 M3 w the right direction. it's been very frustrating but muscle memory will kick in just in time for me to relearn ha

I can only imagine how frustrating it would be. I assume there's been some missed shifts or a pause to think before you shift.

I haven't driven a DCT yet so there'll be a bit of unlearning to do coming from SMG II which is single clutch. There's a lot of throttle work that needs to happen for the E46 M to be driven smoothly. I might end up missing the rawness of the single clutch, who knows? On the other hand I'm quite excited about faster shifts and smoother driving.

Quick Reply: 991 PDK / GT3 PDK