Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frst ride reviews in 2017 911 are in- positive

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 237 Posts

Followed one for 20 minutes yesterday in southern Stuttgart. The vertical grill looks pretty good in person...I thought they looked like crap in the pictures and on the configurator. The exhaust and the cooling outlets on the rear weren't bad at all.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 237 Posts

Another picture...
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2015, 06:05 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Another picture...
Still can't get over how awkward that center exhaust make the rear end looks. Personally I would skip the PSE ($2950 is not really worth it for a marginally louder and deeper exhaust tone judging from official exhaust sound track on the Porsche website) and get some aftermarket exhaust with a more traditional look if the stock ones is really too terrible. That way you can get rid of the silly pneumatic valves on the silencer as well, which will rattle as the miles start to pile up on the car.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:13 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
Still can't get over how awkward that center exhaust make the rear end looks. Personally I would skip the PSE ($2950 is not really worth it for a marginally louder and deeper exhaust tone judging from official exhaust sound track on the Porsche website) and get some aftermarket exhaust with a more traditional look if the stock ones is really too terrible. That way you can get rid of the silly pneumatic valves on the silencer as well, which will rattle as the miles start to pile up on the car.
The big advantage that PSE offers is you can turn it off, and this can be a big advantage in the right circumstance. For example I was taking a walk early on a Sunday morning when a base 991 pulled out of the garage of one of the home's in my neighborhood. Since it was so early in the morning, the driver did his best to make as little noise as possible, but his aftermarket exhaust made a sound similar to a car with a hole in the muffler. I doubt that he went over 2500 RPM, but the exhaust was nevertheless very loud. I'm certain that he upset quite a few people that morning.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:40 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
The big advantage that PSE offers is you can turn it off, and this can be a big advantage in the right circumstance. For example I was taking a walk early on a Sunday morning when a base 991 pulled out of the garage of one of the home's in my neighborhood. Since it was so early in the morning, the driver did his best to make as little noise as possible, but his aftermarket exhaust made a sound similar to a car with a hole in the muffler. I doubt that he went over 2500 RPM, but the exhaust was nevertheless very loud. I'm certain that he upset quite a few people that morning.
True that, cold starts in most german performance cars these days is ridiculously loud, even with stock exhaust, these days as the ECU purposely raise the idle speed and lean out the afr in attempt to quickly heat up the cat to reduce emission...

Guess we have wait to hear one in person to make the final judgment. Maybe the thing would look better with black tips, like the GT3, instead of chrome, which kind of highlights the fact that the car awkwardly has two anuses...
Old 09-13-2015, 11:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Frst ride reviews in 2017 911 are in- positive

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
these days as the ECU purposely raise the idle speed

the car awkwardly has two anuses...
The higher idle speed and "loud" exhaust only lasts under one minute now at start up.

Anuses??? Too much info there. Please, let's keep this a family friendly place.

Last edited by STG; 09-14-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:07 AM
STG
Race Director

I just can't come to grips with this for the "sportier" PSE. I'm trying to like it, but ...

Last edited by STG; 09-14-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 AM
Koriel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That picture strongly reminds me of a VW New Beetle with the vertical grill and centered tailpipes of the original Beetle.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:48 AM
STG
Race Director

Default Frst ride reviews in 2017 911 are in- positive

Originally Posted by Koriel
That picture strongly reminds me of a VW New Beetle with the vertical grill and centered tailpipes of the original Beetle.
OMG. You nailed it!

The rear grill carried over to the tail pipes

Rear grill carried over to the tail pipes!!

Last edited by STG; 09-14-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:16 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Jeez, they must've hired the Aztek designer and taught him to speak German.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:19 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Not my idea of great sound.
+911
Old 09-15-2015, 12:51 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
OMG. You nailed it!
]
Thanks for the pics. Back to the origins, very cool. My first Beetles were ultimately responsible for my Porsche purchase. They had a solidity lacking in the American and British cars of the era that I had previously driven. The relatively rigid body and novel suspension had a feel that made the driving experience unique, the rear engine gave them tremendous winter traction and their maneuverability made them fun to drive. I have preferred German cars ever since because they have always maintained these qualities relative to their contemporaries. In my mind, there is nothing wrong with design elements that echo Porsche and VW common origins.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:37 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by thomnellie
Thanks for the pics. Back to the origins, very cool. My first Beetles were ultimately responsible for my Porsche purchase. They had a solidity lacking in the American and British cars of the era that I had previously driven. The relatively rigid body and novel suspension had a feel that made the driving experience unique, the rear engine gave them tremendous winter traction and their maneuverability made them fun to drive. I have preferred German cars ever since because they have always maintained these qualities relative to their contemporaries. In my mind, there is nothing wrong with design elements that echo Porsche and VW common origins.
I was a muscle car guy back in the late 60s. My first car was a 327 ci / 350 HP C2 Corvette, but in 1968 I got my first drive in a Porsche, a 356B. It was owned by a coworker of mine, and to be honest the exterior didn't appeal to me that much. I preferred the look of my C2, but then I got to drive it and everything changed. I had never driven a car that handled like that and after nearly fifty years, I'm still searching.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:26 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
The big advantage that PSE offers is you can turn it off, and this can be a big advantage in the right circumstance.
For some of us, another big advantage of PSE is no potential warranty issues that might be involved with aftermarket exhausts. Not trying to start a war here arguing over whether an aftermarket exhaust creates warranty issues, but I know people that have had warranty issues because of it, and owners have documented such cases on this board, and the other Porsche board. I have never had any issues with the PSE valves rattling with any of my 911's with PSE as another poster suggested mentioned.

Regardless, I agree with most of the posters that the center exhausts with the 991.2 PSE are going to take a very long time to get to like.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Rower
So true. I'm sure the updated 991 is going to be superb.
I suspect that it will only be the track/DE/Autocross drivers that may be let down by the turbo characteristics. For the majority of 911 drivers, the torque and power improvements will be very much appreciated.
There are many folks who track/DE/Autocross turbo charged 911 Porsches so I am not sure what you are saying?

Have you driven a turbo charged 911 Porsche? Especially a water cooled version?

Quick Reply: Frst ride reviews in 2017 911 are in- positive