Emblem Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 12:23 AM
bshah1976
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Emblem Replacement

Hello.

Once you remove the emblem with dental floss, etc. - can if be put back on or do I need to buy a new one.

My car came with PORSCHE Turbo S in Black, but I actually want the 911 in there too....so I have to remove the Turbo S and shift it right to make room for the 911 emblem.

Otherwise where can I get a new 911 Turbo S (for my 991). I want it in BLACK.
I see some on eBay from the Turbo is a different script/font.

Thoughts?
Old 09-10-2015, 02:52 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think most people buy new for the sake of ease and the correct adhesive
Old 09-10-2015, 09:54 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

You can re-use the emblems, but will need to use the correct adhesive. You also need to thoroughly remove the adhesives remaining on the removed badging or they won't "sit" right on the surface.

Before you remove the existing "Turbo S" script, create a positioning template with taping, so that you can get the proper alignment/spacing when replacing.

Also, you can ask your dealer service dept if they have the rear badging template jig. Some do, typically if they have a body shop. The jig is a rubber lettering template that attaches to the rear of the car and places badging precisely -- it is the tool that is used at the factory (yes, you can buy this tool --- it consists of two parts, and may be specific to the badging you want --- but it also costs like $700 US or something like that. Don't ask me how I know!).

Any good body shop, even detailers could also do this for you for small $ I am guessing.

Oh, and you can purchase badging in black from Suncoast, other parts distributors. Or, you can paint them black yourself -- plastidip is a great option and you can just peel off the paint if you want to switch back to chrome down the road.... Here's a pic of my rear badging plastidip'd in matte black...

And then I went a step further and dip'd the "S" in matte red....

Hope this helps!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

There is specific emblem tape that is customary for this application. It's not foam backed, like you find at every auto parts house. It's extremely thin, made by both 3M and Wurth. You may be able to re-use existing emblems, but you just need to protect the face and see how much adhesive remains.

If you need replacements, or painted, we have 'em.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Quick Reply: Emblem Replacement