Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you track your 911?
Hell no! I spend my days cleaning it with wipes made from baby seal fur
44.64%
Hell yes! Rubber marks on the hood are a badge of honor
46.43%
Kinda: I have another track car; my main 911 stays home
8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Do you track your car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 12:51 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do you track your car?

Seeing all the photos of immaculate cars and all the threads on car cleaning, I'm curious:

How many of you track or autocross your car?

I did what lots of people seem to do here: spent lots of time in the configurator, clicked on lots of nice options, waited months, car showed up, and it's completely amazing but...

...it's a little too amazing and I can't ever imagine flinging it around a track. I probably should have figured out *before* getting the car that I wanted to fling it around a track! I ended up getting a base Cayman as a track car about six weeks ago and it's already done three weekends of track and autocross events (thanks GGR PCA!) while the beautiful brown Targa sits sadly in the garage. In hindsight, I probably should have just got a 911 coupe GTS off the lot, not worried too much about options and just driven the sh*t out of it. Even after a short time in the Cayman on the track, going round and round in circles is all I want to do.

So, I'm curious: what do other people do? I'm probably going to just hold tight for a while. Maybe I'll get sick of track days; maybe my Targa GTS will appreciate since it seems there's not going to be another Targa for a while; maybe I will decided to track my Targa .
Old 09-08-2015, 01:00 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 418 Posts

I think you have the track experience covered with the Cayman. Work with/improve that platform and keep the Targa for your daily.

Could ask your dealer to hook you up with a 1/2 day Porsche driving experience in your area or sign up for one and beat on their cars and see how the 911 compares.

I've only tracked once but I do daily drive my C4S like it's been stolen and look for the road less traveled.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Both my Porsches will get tracked. Whether the Cayman becomes a dedicated track car remains to be seen. I spent 20+ years doing it on motos and not sure I'm interested in that level of commitment anymore. But I'd have no reservations about taking any of my cars to the track for a typical track day. Even my RS5 will probably see some track time over the next few years.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But I'd have no reservations about taking any of my cars to the track for a typical track day.
+1.
the faster and better handling your Porsches, the more you need to take it to track.
that's when you realize/justify why you pay so much for it.
it will depreciate no matter what, so why not enjoy it yourself.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:21 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tracked all of my cars over the years. My RS5 has 20+ days on it, my R8 probably 15 and even my old TT had its time doing auto x and track. Porsche I will get it out this fall to Sebring I think to learn what it really can do and so I can understand its limits for road driving. My cars are not garage queens. I really do the track though not just for fun but with every new car I get to understand how it reacts for anything that may happen on the road. Ideal is a wet and a dry track day no doubt.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

No tracks near me that i know of. (NJMSP is private, i believe). Instead i go do the porsche driving school every year. Also, this year i am going to take my son to bondurant for a two day karting school. He get jelly when i go to Porsche school and hes a looooong way from 18.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:14 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Absolutely i will track my GTS. I can't wait.. just have to wait to get through break-in. I have extensively tracked my previous M3's, so i am excited to track my GTS which feels much more capable.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:17 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
He get jelly when i go to Porsche school and hes a looooong way from 18.
Train them young! I'm amazed at how many younger people have so little interest in cars or even driving. But maybe that's more of a Northeast thing.

I was in California a couple of weeks ago for the Monterrey and Pebble Beach events and although I've spent a lot of time there over the past 30 years, those events really show off the California car culture that just doesn't exist on the right coast. I kept describing it as an orgy of cars. You'd never see that in NJ, NY or Mass. It should be a bucket list thing for all of us.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:30 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
Train them young! I'm amazed at how many younger people have so little interest in cars or even driving. But maybe that's more of a Northeast thing.

I was in California a couple of weeks ago for the Monterrey and Pebble Beach events and although I've spent a lot of time there over the past 30 years, those events really show off the California car culture that just doesn't exist on the right coast. I kept describing it as an orgy of cars. You'd never see that in NJ, NY or Mass. It should be a bucket list thing for all of us.

its on my bucket list no doubt. Fortunately Florida does have a very decent car culture and Amelia Island is fantastic. Plus during good weather several events a month worth going to with classic and modern cars. Kids do not want to drive all that much here either. It really is an appliance to most kids now. Not at all what it meant for the rest of us before constant communication by every device, where cars were freedom for us.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:26 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 258 Posts

I have tracked 3 of my 5 Porsches, including the present TT.... but I prefer and enjoy something a little more track focused now-a-days.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes, I've heard of this "track" of which you speak... :-)
Old 09-08-2015, 10:28 PM
sracer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I have tracked 3 of my 5 Porsches, including the present TT.... but I prefer and enjoy something a little more track focused now-a-days.

nice choice in track weapon!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:55 PM
psamead
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've autocrossed and tracked my 991 Targa 4S with great results. In AX only a trailered GT3 and a Cayman R (just a single run) have gone better. At Road America my fastest was a 2:40.3

I used the OEM pads at the track and wore the rears down in no time. Need to switch to Pagids.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:26 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

My 991S is stock with the exception of Pagids and Motul 600. I do use a dedicated set of 19" BBS track wheels but with MPSS street tires because I have to drive quite a distance to any track. Before this my other tracked Porsches were my 9934S (Now relegated to Sunday drives) and my 987S (Sold).

I am a detailing fanatic, though. So it's a lot of work after a track weekend. A full front end Xpel clear bra helps mitigate the clag attack. It still looks perfect!

Here I am at Mid Ohio...

Old 09-09-2015, 12:14 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

yes but I don't get the chance as often as I would like.
plus when your track car is the same as your DD, you have to be a bit more careful.

Quick Reply: Do you track your car?