Sponsored by:

Help deciding.. buy or build?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Super_K
That makes sense Archimedes, and i have't stopped looking at used to see if one comes through that's just right.
Well your options aren't just either build or buy used. You can buy new out of existing dealer inventory and get a discount, particularly if you can find any leftover '14's still out there. Soon enough it'll be leftover '15s.

I wouldn't buy used either, but I'd scour the country for a new leftover and see if anything peaks your interest. There was a lot out there a few months back when I bought mine.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:00 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Seems like the silver one on the lot would tolerate DD and automatic car washes better than a dark blue or similar color. I say go for it! Nothing like instant gratification.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:34 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I was in the same boat last year and ended up buying a new 2014 C4S Cab for 10% under list. It was a leftover 2014, and I bought it in July. If you can get a similar deal on the GT Silver car (I'm assuming it's a leftover 2015.), grab it. I've owned 911s in several different colors, and in terms of practicality and looks, silver is very hard to beat. In fact, I was driving home tonight, and I saw this really nice looking silver car in my mirror. It was my wife in her 997.2 C4S. The car is a year round daily driver (including snow filled PA winters), and it still looks great after 6 years.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:12 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the silver one too. One note though - don't use their car wash ... it is not touchless (has brushes) and will swirl up your paint in no time (I speak from experience with their car wash).
Old 09-10-2015, 03:00 AM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool. What are the best touchless in the area? That dealer carwash is so convenient...
Old 09-10-2015, 05:38 AM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

A few comments . . .

1. If this is the Bellevue dealership they don't use a car wash. They have a wash bay and use a three bucket wash (soap, rinse, wheels) since the new store opened.
2. Through circumstance we bought a 981 BS CPO then our 991 C2s CPO through Rancho Mirage. First one was in person, second one 9 months later was remote thru Internet and phone. I did drive it back. Local dealer service is great and they spent days isolating and curing some rattles. I get all the good service stuff, PCA discount at parts, etc even though we bought somewhere else.
3. If you can handle both the actual depreciation $$ as well as the knowledge that you're the one taking the initial big hit then buy the car off the lot. I've seen it I think and it is a beauty.
4. On the other hand Porsche CPO program is top rated. "Our" dealer has a great service dept. Someone in Beverly Hills ate almost $40K in depreciation over 2.5 years and 24K miles. Our car is now as good as new. My challenge will be to hold off until 2018 to do it again with a 991.2. If the car drives as good or better than our 991.1 it will be a loooong 2+ years. . .

Oh yes - join PCA and the local PNWR chapter now . . .!
Old 09-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beaverlake
A few comments . . .

1. If this is the Bellevue dealership they don't use a car wash. They have a wash bay and use a three bucket wash (soap, rinse, wheels) since the new store opened.
2. Through circumstance we bought a 981 BS CPO then our 991 C2s CPO through Rancho Mirage. First one was in person, second one 9 months later was remote thru Internet and phone. I did drive it back. Local dealer service is great and they spent days isolating and curing some rattles. I get all the good service stuff, PCA discount at parts, etc even though we bought somewhere else.
3. If you can handle both the actual depreciation $$ as well as the knowledge that you're the one taking the initial big hit then buy the car off the lot. I've seen it I think and it is a beauty.
4. On the other hand Porsche CPO program is top rated. "Our" dealer has a great service dept. Someone in Beverly Hills ate almost $40K in depreciation over 2.5 years and 24K miles. Our car is now as good as new. My challenge will be to hold off until 2018 to do it again with a 991.2. If the car drives as good or better than our 991.1 it will be a loooong 2+ years. . .

Oh yes - join PCA and the local PNWR chapter now . . .!

Thanks beaverlake, I know when your car is in for service they'll use buckets but there's also an autowash up at the Audi lot you get to use for the life of your car (or at least that was the way it worked when it was Barrier). I assume they still offer this but agreed it's not a good way to wash.

My advice, don't drive the 991.2, that way you won't have to resist the temptation... that's what got me into this situation, getting a Cayman as a loaner then testing the 911..
Old 09-10-2015, 11:12 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. What are the best touchless in the area? That dealer carwash is so convenient...
I've been using the one on Lakemont Blvd in the Chevron dealership for my wife's bimmer, but since the Turbo has side air intakes I've just been washing it myself - so I'm not sure if the rear tires will fit in the guide rails.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:06 AM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Ok thanks.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:26 AM
Dan991
Advanced

Ok thanks.
A few more tips...

Shop around if you build. Here in Southern California, the discount varies from 4 to 8 % off MSRP for ordered cars. Dealer lot cars will usually discount slightly more.

If you build, and you are unsure about the options, ask around for opinions, but ultimately only your personal preference matters. Try to locate a car with the option you are unsure about, just to test it out. There are many subtle advantages of certain options that are not immediately obvious. As an example, I found that the most comfortable seats for me are the 4 way sports seats plus with the manual fore-aft adjustment. Most people probably would not agree with me, but somehow they are more comfortable than the 18 way or 14 way adjustable seats. I would have never known without trying it out.

If you go with CPO, remember that if you do not find the perfect car now, there is a constant stream of lease returns, and eventually you will probably find something pretty close.

If you find a nice private- sale car and you are a little apprehensive about not having the backing of a Porsche CPO, you can take that car to the dealership. For a fee, they will certify that car for you so you can buy with a bit of peace of mind.

Good luck !
Old 09-11-2015, 02:29 AM
Super_K
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone! I just bought today. New, local dealer, 6% discount. Very happy with the package!
Old 09-11-2015, 02:31 AM
Dan991
Advanced

Thanks everyone! I just bought today. New, local dealer, 6% discount. Very happy with the package!
That was quick !

Congrats !
Old 09-11-2015, 02:32 AM
DAlex
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
There is nothing better than ordering exactly what you want and getting it and not paying for a bunch of crap that you don't want. It's not just options but colors and wheels and all of that neat stuff.
I could not agree more. I have ordered twice. The wait is a killer but there is something very special about taking delivery of a car that you built. At the price point for a 991 I wanted to get it with everything I wanted rather that settling for something just close.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:57 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Congratulations! What did you end up with?
Old 09-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pic...

Quick Reply: Help deciding.. buy or build?