Carrera GTS vs Cayman GTS sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:41 PM
OlegZ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera GTS vs Cayman GTS sound

Hello.

I kindly ask for your advise. I'm about to buy the Carrera 4 GTS, signed a contract today. But now I'm thinking about the exhaust sound of this car comparing to Cayman GTS. Already spent a few hours watching youtube videos to understand the difference.

Is the sound on Cayman GTS any better than on Carrera GTS? Is the difference worth considering Cayman over Carrera?

---------

The background of the story:

I drive M3 e92, and took Cayman S for a weekend test and was amazed by this car, especially by sound. After a month I took Carrera S for the same test and was not so amazed by sound (Its still very very good though) Could this be just the first impression about the Cayman or Carrera really sound not so great? (both cars had PSE) I am not an experienced Porsche driver so I can easily make wrong conclusions.

Please help me with a piece of good advise. Thank you!

With respect, Oleg.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:45 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

The difference being the engines are in different places on each car. On the Cayman, it's your back rest. On the 911, the trunk!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:49 PM
OlegZ
Track Day

Originally Posted by STG991
The difference being the engines are in different places on each car. On the Cayman, it's your back rest. On the 911, the trunk!
Thank you for the answer.

How about the engines sound itself, which has a better one? I guess should be Carrera as it has bigger engine.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:32 PM
blschaefer1
Instructor

+100 on this.

I had a 981 Cayman S previously with standard exhaust, and now have a 991 C2S with PSE. Even with the PSE on the 991, the Cayman S sounded 'louder' inside the car solely due to the engine placement. You hear much more induction and mechanical sounds compared to the 991.

Outside the car is a different story. PSE is amazing. Same would hold true with a Cayman GTS with PSE.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by OlegZ
Thank you for the answer.

How about the engines sound itself, which has a better one? I guess should be Carrera as it has bigger engine.
Better engine?? The 3.8 Powerkit Carrera GTS

These two cars are worlds apart. The exhaust sound is probably pretty close if listening from outside. While driving the car, you'll obviously hear the Cayman engine more and it will be louder because it's directly behind you.

Don't doubt yourself. You made the right choice with the 911 GTS. Stop worrying. The biggest hurdle, being able to afford one and ordering one, has been conquered. Enjoy the ride now.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:01 PM
STG
Race Director

You can always go aftermarket exhaust too on the 911 GTS if you want to be heard 2 blocks away. Many options.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:10 PM
OlegZ
Track Day

Thanks for the answers. As for the custom exhaust, I prefer to stick with what manufacturer designed, as I think it has the best balance
Old 09-01-2015, 08:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Thanks for the answers. As for the custom exhaust, I prefer to stick with what manufacturer designed, as I think it has the best balance
Me too. You'll love the PSE on the GTS. Post your options and build if you want.

Welcome to the forum too! First Porsche?
Old 09-01-2015, 08:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Too bad you can't snag a GT4.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Hello.

I kindly ask for your advise. I'm about to buy the Carrera 4 GTS, signed a contract today. But now I'm thinking about the exhaust sound of this car comparing to Cayman GTS. Already spent a few hours watching youtube videos to understand the difference.

Is the sound on Cayman GTS any better than on Carrera GTS? Is the difference worth considering Cayman over Carrera?

---------

The background of the story:

I drive M3 e92, and took Cayman S for a weekend test and was amazed by this car, especially by sound. After a month I took Carrera S for the same test and was not so amazed by sound (Its still very very good though) Could this be just the first impression about the Cayman or Carrera really sound not so great? (both cars had PSE) I am not an experienced Porsche driver so I can easily make wrong conclusions.

Please help me with a piece of good advise. Thank you!

With respect, Oleg.
I dont think I would choose between either car based solely, or primarily, based upon the exhaust note. While its certainly a major component of the driving experience I dont think its the primary one ...
Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

You're seriously going to decide which of these cars to buy based on exhaust note? Have you actually driven both of these cars? They're two entirely different machines, with very different character, the least of which is the sound of the exhaust.

But on that topic, the GTS is going to be waaaay louder inside, both because of the location of the engine and the fact that it has a sound symposer as well. I have both a Cayman S and a Carrera S. Both great cars, but the Cayman is seriously loud in the cabin, even with the PSE turned off. On longer trips, it gets old fast.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You're seriously going to decide which of these cars to buy based on exhaust note? Have you actually driven both of these cars? They're two entirely different machines, with very different character, the least of which is the sound of the exhaust.

But on that topic, the GTS is going to be waaaay louder inside, both because of the location of the engine and the fact that it has a sound symposer as well. I have both a Cayman S and a Carrera S. Both great cars, but the Cayman is seriously loud in the cabin, even with the PSE turned off. On longer trips, it gets old fast.
+1
Old 09-01-2015, 08:21 PM
OlegZ
Track Day

Me too. You'll love the PSE on the GTS. Post your options and build if you want.

Welcome to the forum too! First Porsche?
My wife has Macan S, Mahogany with Beige leather, 20 rims, PSE and Sport Chrono

My final option list is not in English language, i just build by memory in Configurator. This car is not build by myself, i just took the last one the dealer had after I accidentally knew, that atmosphere Carrera is impossible to order. http://www.porsche-code.com/PG4MF5K3
Old 09-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

My wife has Macan S, Mahogany with Beige leather, 20 rims, PSE and Sport Chrono

My final option list is not in English language, i just build by memory in Configurator. This car is not build by myself, i just took the last one the dealer had after I accidentally knew, that atmosphere Carrera is impossible to order. http://www.porsche-code.com/PG4MF5K3
ORDER IT!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 PM
OlegZ
Track Day

Originally Posted by Archimedes

I wrote, that i tested both on 2 days test-drive, but not on track. On track i tried them on Porsche road shows, but we can't go fast on this shows.

At this moment I am an inexperienced Porsche driver, i know that they are different, but I don't feel this difference so much.

I am concerned so much about the exhaust, because I take the car for everyday fun and emotions, I don't really know will I use them on track so much, but could be.

To be honest I think i would stick with Carrera even if everybody say that Cayman GTS sound is way better. I just needed an advise.

Quick Reply: Carrera GTS vs Cayman GTS sound