Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015 | 04:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Huh. My Audi is driving me nuts, and it is all the modern elements, keyless start, MMI, solenoids...

Sure, it's under warranty, but that doesn't mean that they can fix it.
Mine is all nonsense stuff, mostly mechanical, nothing techy at all. Just constant breakage. My prior Audis were all pretty bulletproof, but this Q7 is a total dog. And it eats tires like nobody's business. If it were stolen tomorrow, I'd dance a jig.
Old 08-31-2015 | 08:06 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Had a dud Volvo like that once. Bought from a Volvo dealer when 4 years old, factory warranty and all that stuff. Went through endless pain with ECU failures, busted radiators, the works. So I traded it and a Mercedes on my first 911 7 years ago. One of the mechanics at the Porsche dealer picked it up for his wife. I last saw her driving it a year or so ago. Hasn't missed a beat since she got it. Go figure. Grease monkey karma I guess.
Old 08-31-2015 | 08:57 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Originally Posted by MKW
Easy enuf for some here to type " just get rid of it " before quickly moving on to the next thread .....its not their $$$ down the drain !

The " best deal " is still a loss of thousands of dollars incl the sales tax ...for what could be , like some said , a faulty ground or bad BCM unit, etc. , all covered by the CPO warranty whose cost was also paid for by the OP. I suspect all these seemingly separate events have a common cause .

Interesting that the service tech noticed " funny wiring " under seat ..U wonder if previous owner had some aftermarket electronic gizmo installed by self or hack quality shop , messing up the MOST wiring harness or even a hard shell " race car " seat in it for a while ?
I didn't say "get rid of it". I said (and read it again), IF YOU PLAN. For sure you will loose when trading it but make it the best deal that you can have, IF YOU PLAN, to trade it in. It happened to me once. A dealer sold me a year old car but didn't disclose any problem. They bought back the car including sales tax and gave me an even better deal for a brand new one. Scenarios are different so make the best of what you have.
Old 08-31-2015 | 11:34 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

My Service Advisor called...Porsche NA has authorized the replacement of the transmission control unit? and if that doesn't remedy the problem they'll replace the transmission itself. That in itself leaves me a bit uninspired.
Old 08-31-2015 | 11:53 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oalvarez
My Service Advisor called...Porsche NA has authorized the replacement of the transmission control unit? and if that doesn't remedy the problem they'll replace the transmission itself. That in itself leaves me a bit uninspired.
Why not? They basically agreed to make it right.
Old 09-01-2015 | 12:20 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

For sure, but they haven't been able to truly determine what is actually wrong with the car. When they started the car this morning there were no warnings showing on the dash and the transmission was working normally. They could replace the module and everything act as it should but that doesn't assure me that there isn't a problem somewhere else. A phone call telling me that they did find the fault/culprit and know exactly how to fix the problem would have been preferred.

Last edited by oalvarez; 09-01-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2015 | 08:59 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry you can't get the answer you want, it can be maddening. I recently went through something similar (except on the medical side). You just want to yell, "would you just do XYZ already!!!" Unfortunately (for our patience) the methodical process reigns.
Old 09-01-2015 | 09:38 AM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Default O-bla-dee, o-bla-da, bra

Originally Posted by MKW
Easy enuf for some here to type " just get rid of it " before quickly moving on to the next thread .....its not their $$$ down the drain !

The " best deal " is still a loss of thousands of dollars incl the sales tax ...for what could be , like some said , a faulty ground or bad BCM unit, etc. , all covered by the CPO warranty whose cost was also paid for by the OP. I suspect all these seemingly separate events have a common cause .

Interesting that the service tech noticed " funny wiring " under seat ..U wonder if previous owner had some aftermarket electronic gizmo installed by self or hack quality shop , messing up the MOST wiring harness or even a hard shell " race car " seat in it for a while ?
Choy didn’t advise the OP to get rid of his car, but I did. Opinions are one of the things you get here; you don’t have to agree.

The fix could be easy, but just because he has a warranty doesn’t mean the dealer will find the problem. They tried five times without success while new problems presented themselves. That would be all I’d need. Some people like chasing gremlins until they track them down and won’t give up. I am willing to give any problem a reasonable effort, but I have other things to do and if the problem is something elusive that leaves me waiting for a tow truck on a regular basis I am going to work whatever angles I can to get the dealer to take the car back and barring that I am going to take the financial hit and trade the car in for something reliable. Either way, the car will have a new name on its title. Yeah, yeah, money lost, but respect the OP’s time, too. He has already given a lot of it to this problem, and he can spend a lot more and still not solve the problem. In the meantime there is always another car out there and life goes on.
Old 09-01-2015 | 09:48 AM
Dyim
Drifting

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...new-video.html

Look here.

IMO, you got a lemon. Electronic gremlins are nightmares and could be never ending.

You drove 600 miles for how long? I would push for minimal hit in depreciation and trade it in.

Not worth your time, inconvenience, and frustration. Unless they give you a 991 loaner all the time. Then you get rid of it when CPO warranty is up.

Just my cheap 2 cents.
Old 09-01-2015 | 09:59 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Just saw your windshield thread. I am guessing you have water entering the passenger compartment? Which I think is what Nick Murray has. I think he found water in the passenger footwell? That smoke coming out of his passenger door is ridiculous.

Water can certainly cause all these electronic gremlins.

GL.
Old 09-01-2015 | 11:54 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

The "melting/deteriorating" seal was just found when washing/drying the car two weekends ago. The area is about six inches in length and there are no signs of water seepage inside the cockpit.

Back to the PDK .....
Old 09-01-2015 | 12:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Default PDK Transmission Failure

Don't write this car off quite yet. Maybe it will be an ongoing issue, maybe not. I'd just be persistent with them to check out any questionable things.

Is everyone ready to dump a car after a few warranty issues? I wouldn't be so quick to label it the next Nick car. Dumping a car costs $$$$. Not an easy decision.

Look at the GT3 crowd and the problems that arose there. Things are still popping up.

Last edited by STG; 02-28-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-01-2015 | 02:59 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

^ Yes, agreed. When speaking to the Service Adviser yesterday I mentioned the fact that all of these "electrical" issues came after the initial seat memory module was replaced, to me it seemed odd, to him it didn't. I suggested trying to track down some sort of electrical short but it was suggested that what has gone wrong up to now was due to faulty parts and the like.

As for keeping the car, i just might, but only because i like its build and enjoy driving it, and don't want to start over on the depreciation front with a new one, nor crystallize a loss. But what's funny is that even though the problems up to now have been fixed (and this one will as well), my bet is that none of you here would want to purchase it unless at a deeply discounted price, hence my desire to do away with it and move on. I'm going to lose either way, losing the least is all i'm trying to quantify at this juncture.

Will keep folks apprised as more information (or a change in my decision) becomes available.
Old 09-01-2015 | 03:13 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DerekS
Why not? They basically agreed to make it right.
and a brand new PDK transmission in a pre owned car ...that is sweet for OP and would actually be a good resale selling point later as that is prob the most expensive " wear and tear" item down the road ...engine aside, obviously.

look how worried used Ferrari owners are of their $$$ F1 DCTs that were built from 1998 -2009 ...potential $ 20- 30 k repair that may pop up at any time !

this second gen PDK is pretty bullet proof as far as we know , so far , .....BUT ...imagine if this issue popped up on this car's orig owner after the in service date passed 48 months if he had kept it !
Old 09-01-2015 | 03:25 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

well, not exactly. they have authorized the replacement thereof, but only if the replacement of the electronic control module (i don't know exactly what it's called) doesn't remedy the problem, first. there in lies the rub; at the current time no faults are showing on the dash, so i don't think they're going to show up on their diagnostics. as i said earlier, the dealership said there was nothing wrong with the car, and that the transmission was operating as it should.......or in other words, why replace anything if it's working? how do they know what to fix other than going by the pictures/videos i sent them of the (dashboard) faults? or does the diagnostic equipment point to actual problems even though no faults on the dashboard are showing? if it does, then why is there uncertainty whether the control module will fix the problem or not?

Quick Reply: PDK Transmission Failure