Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A manual transmission on mountain roads is ideal!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:51 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
You've just made a solid argument for a driverless car. If you consider all of the computer aids on modern cars, we are just a half step away from the driverless model, and I suspect that its advocates will use a similar argument that you presented to refute those who still insist on turning the steering wheel and operating the brake and accelerator pedals. Moreover, properly programmed the driverless car will produce lap times much quicker than virtually any human.
I take it then that you arguing for a return to the manual choke and throttle ***** and spark advance levers and elimination of all computer aids? As I've said previously, the day that the driverless car arrives is the day I switch to mass transportation.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:09 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by one-rennlist
I rarely used more than three gears of my 6MT.
At the Porsche Driving School in Bimingham, only one of the class opted for MT. The instructors told him to just leave it in third gear.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a wonderful thing that we have a choice....
Old 09-06-2015, 11:14 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by thomnellie
I take it then that you arguing for a return to the manual choke and throttle ***** and spark advance levers and elimination of all computer aids? As I've said previously, the day that the driverless car arrives is the day I switch to mass transportation.
Every time I track my car I disable all the "computer aids" to the extent that is possible. I'm not opposed to all technological improvements, just those that take away from my enjoyment of the car. As I've posted on many occasions, I find driving automatics to be boring, and no amount of apples to oranges metaphors will change my view.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:24 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default A manual transmission on mountain roads is ideal!

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I'm curious how many Porsche owners will buy a driverless Porsche as their primary sports car? If people are saying they want to give up human input (shifting) and that they are happy to have the computer automate one of the primary inputs for driving a sports car, why not automate the braking, steering, and throttle? Especially if people care more about lap times and specs than actually driving the car and human input. As it says here "if the self driving cars will be coming to the roads is no longer the question. The question merely is, when?"

Cars without human input will be faster in the near future. Will the same sports cars owners who are happy with PDK/dual clutch/F1/teptronic/SMG, etc all buy cars that free them from the monotony of providing any input to the car?

One could always go to a theme park and get the sensation of g forces by riding in a roller coaster. Are you aware that Elon Musk recently stated that in twenty years time driving will become illegal. Punishable with jail time.
The reason I like to drive human operated porsches is because it gives me a greater sense of freedom. Over time the laws are reining in our freedoms to the point that we will soon feel like caged birds. Freedoms are taken away over generations so the sting of imposing them are taken lightly and accepted as the norm.
PDK already has the technology to be taken over by artificial intelligence along with electronic steering. You can clearly see where we are heading.
For me at least. The greatest part of life is knowing that if I mess up i will pay dearly. That is the ultimate human experience and our government is trying to control our destiny by robbing that freedom.
Sure there are those that believe that they can live forever by installing safety barriers for every situation in life. They have the means and technology to effectively do so and are slowly implimating them. I am old school and believe that a mundane life is really not a life worth living and anything that comes to take away my freedom is taboo. No matter how they brand it and sell it to us.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:33 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

^^^^ +911
Old 09-06-2015, 12:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Cars without human input will be faster in the near future. Will the same sports cars owners who are happy with PDK/dual clutch/F1/teptronic/SMG, etc all buy cars that free them from the monotony of providing any input to the car?

Initially there may be a choice, but shortly thereafter there won't be an option. It will be all done in the name of safety.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:53 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Reminds me of those futuristic movies that makes driving manually illegal. I just hope it wont happen. Maybe not in my lifetime. Just give us the options to pick how we drive our cars.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:58 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thomnellie
At the Porsche Driving School in Bimingham, only one of the class opted for MT. The instructors told him to just leave it in third gear.
I fully agree, shifting is not necessary! Second is only for the really slow turns and fourth is kind of overdrive gear when not pushing it real hard.

Quick Reply: A manual transmission on mountain roads is ideal!