Sponsored by:

Retro fit Porsche Vehicle Tracking System

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Retro fit Porsche Vehicle Tracking System

I have a bit of a dilemma and looking for some advice. I have searched the forum but can't find anything on this subject.

My 991 4S is scheduled to be delivered this week. It is not fitted with the factory PVTS. My insurance company is now telling me that I can't get the car insured if the factory PVTS is not installed. (I live in Belgium where vehicle tracking is mandatory). A 3rd party system is not acceptable to them.

The Porsche dealer has told me that PVTS cannot be retro-fitted which I find difficult to believe. So my question is, has anybody had the factory PVTS system retrofitted?

FYI, I have quotes from other insurance companies but the premiums I have been quoted so far are muuuch higher than the one from my regular insurer.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I have a bit of a dilemma and looking for some advice. I have searched the forum but can't find anything on this subject.

My 991 4S is scheduled to be delivered this week. It is not fitted with the factory PVTS. My insurance company is now telling me that I can't get the car insured if the factory PVTS is not installed. (I live in Belgium where vehicle tracking is mandatory). A 3rd party system is not acceptable to them.

The Porsche dealer has told me that PVTS cannot be retro-fitted which I find difficult to believe. So my question is, has anybody had the factory PVTS system retrofitted?

FYI, I have quotes from other insurance companies but the premiums I have been quoted so far are muuuch higher than the one from my regular insurer.
I am not sure I understand what this PVTS is then? If the factory can't provide the parts to the dealer to install, how do they deal with cars that get major rebuilds and such? Like after accidents? Is it a computer chip, transceiver or something like that? Interesting.....
Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 PM
DKC64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that the Porsche VTS uses both GPS and GSM mobile networks for tracking. The tracking company/police has the ability to remotely shut down the car if necessary (they won't do it if the car is being driven as they don't want to kill someone).

Not sure about other countires but in the UK the PVTS is compulsory so all Porsche cars have this.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:44 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Yes, it is compulsory in Belgium…..but not in Germany where I bought the car. It's just something I stupidly overlooked. Hence my dilemma and wanting to find out if anybody has had it retro-fitted.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:26 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 422 Posts

This may be completely unrelated, but I did a tour of the Macan factory back in May. One of the comments made during the tour was that all of the wiring harnesses were custom for each vehicle, based on the options planned to be installed. Now, the tour quide was referring to the Macan, but it is possible Porsche has gone this direction with all of their vehicles. It would certainly explain why the PVTS can't be retrofitted.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have the ability to refuse delivery and do a re order?

I would think your dilemma warrants this if Porsche cannot accommodate install of option necessary for your market.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:00 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris3963

Was this car bought directly from a Porsche dealer in Belgium for Delivery in Germany or was it bought from a private party in Germany? If it was bought from Porsche for use in Belgium then I'd think that it's Porsche's responsibility to resolve the matter. I'm confused.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:02 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
Do you have the ability to refuse delivery and do a re order?

I would think your dilemma warrants this if Porsche cannot accommodate install of option necessary for your market.
grunty i right! refuse delivery and reorder.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:32 PM
749R
8th Gear

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
Was in exactly the same situation few months back. Got a new 991 GTS, bought it in Germany, live in Belgium and had the car registered in Belgium, stupidly overlooked the PVTS option.
The insurance company clearly requested a tracking system, otherwise no insurance in case of theft, however it was not mandatory to have a Porsche OEM or factory system, but it had to be a in Belgium certified system (Incert).
Since the PVTS couldn't be retrofitted (it is in the wiring), I found a certified installer, who got me a certified system installed. All was cleared by the insurance company and at the end of the day it was a lot cheaper then : original PVTS wiring+original VTS unit
Also checked with a Belgiun Porsche Centre and the factory warranty is not affected or violated with this 3rd party system.
If you want more details -> PM

Quick Reply: Retro fit Porsche Vehicle Tracking System