Sponsored by:

PFS end of lease shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:34 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Naturally, there was no crack in the windshield. In fact, if there had been, I would have had it repaired at no charge to me since I have a $0 comprehensive loss deductible on my insurance policy. There were at most 2 minor pinhead sized chips (and they were hardly even that) that don't amount to "cracks" and likely never will be. These are the kind that are extremely superficial caused by small stones that barely affect the surface of the glass.

There were a couple of stone chips in the hood that were maybe double the size of a pinhead. That's it. Why is that on me and not ordinary wear and tear? Why isn't that the fault of the fragile paint that Porsche seems to use. These cars are magnets for paint chips on the front of the car

Thanks for sharing. I always pay cash for my cars, and based on your experience I'm happy that I never considered a lease. If the "damage" that the inspector identified is not considered normal wear, then I suppose that anything short of perfection is considered a damaged car that requires fixing.
So you admit your glass was damaged and that your car had paint and bodywork which you requested on your own. Sorry but on two equal $85,000 cars I'd pay the extra $2500 and take the one without paint/bodywork and perfect glass - in fact, I probably wouldn't even consider your car. The proper way to fix ugly front bumper holes is to plug them and live with the initial mistake. Your argument about the stone chips on a 24k mile car seems valid and ridiculous for them to mention. However, why would you expect a Porsche owner to accept their car to come with a damaged windshield and paint/bodywork that you requested? Contrary to your belief - that is not representative of most 24k mile 911s. If you had a Rennlist member looking to buy your car, they probably would have been on their hands and knees looking for scratches under the bumper as well.

Not to mention the fact that 77k (minus damages) for a 24k mile 2012 is a damn good deal compared to what most of the people here who purchased instead of leased could sell that car for.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:08 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Of course it is better to have a near perfect car. As to the front bumper, the original dealer punched 8 holes, 4 of them haphazardly (apparently they oriented the license plate bracket poorly on the first try). The risk of that repair doesn't shift to me if the repair is made part of the original deal. It's the original condition of the car at lease beginning. As to the windshield, perhaps we just disagree on the definition of ordinary wear and tear. I suspect if you own a P car and have actually driven it, I could find similar blemishes on your windshield. I will attempt to post some of my photos once this dispute is over. The car was well maintained and certainly not worn in an "extraordinary" sense.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:55 PM
mgent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the inspection done at my house the day before I turned it in, that way I was able to review the report prior to turning it in... Problem you'll have is being able to really prove the damage was done after you dropped it off... Puncture holes in the bumper I imagine is for a license plate, and I've always wondered how that is handled, even if done by the dealer when you pick the car up... I've never put a front plate on my cars, but do on my Nanny's Jeep, and they put it on crooked so there will be extra holes...
Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I returned my '13 C2S, PFS came back with a similarly egregious list of charges. I had gotten into a new Turbo, so I called and told them very firmly that I didn't believe the charges were justified, and in any event it was shocking to be charged since I had entered into a new lease for another (more expensive) Porsche. After a week and checking with "the supervisor," I received a new statement showing $0 in excess wear and tear charges. I suggest you call PFS and yell and scream a bit. Hopefully they'll knock the charges down significantly.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:08 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

any updates?
Old 09-09-2015, 12:11 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJG911
any updates?
After the first go round the charges were reduced from around $2400 of extraordinary wear and tear to $600. The woman on the phone in Atlanta at PFS then admitted to me that there was no crack in the windshield, that there was only a minor blemish, but that it still needed a small repair. I asked if this was not the very definition of ordinary wear and tear. I then pointed out that the report they sent me expressly stated "cracked windshield." So they have zero credibility in my view.

Another irksome issue with the way this is being run in Atlanta, is that each time I called, the woman on the phone stated that her manager would call me back to discuss the issues, but I never received a call back from the manager.

I headed out of town for Labor Day, so I haven't seen any subsequent correspondence, and I'm still out of town. I will likely call them back to find out the current status before I head back, as I pressed them again even on the $600, as everything that was discussed on the phone was ordinary wear and tear, at least in my view.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:37 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

wow.
They didn't seem that great on the phone to me either.
I overpaid on my Cayenne lease to offset excess mileage, but did a pull ahead so they owed me money when it was all said and done. Since I plan on going over on the new one too and can't guarantee there will be a pull ahead, I wanted them to apply my credit to the new ones account. Two separate times I talked to them, they said they were going to do that. Now 3 months after turning in the Cayenne, I just received a check for my overpayment, so they didn't apply it to the new one.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:01 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

The current status is the extraordinary wear and tear charges have been reduced to $400. Here's the insult added to a very dubious set of circumstances: PFS is charging me "sales tax" on the $400 wear and tear. And thus ends a 25 year relationship with a brand.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
The current status is the extraordinary wear and tear charges have been reduced to $400. Here's the insult added to a very dubious set of circumstances: PFS is charging me "sales tax" on the $400 wear and tear. And thus ends a 25 year relationship with a brand.
They are collecting the tax not charging it..... it becomes part of the sale price of the car and the State needs to get paid.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes! Leave the brand over a state issued tax penalty. Lol!
Old 09-10-2015, 09:44 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say that $400 is not bad for a lease return. I had a friend that had over $3K in charges on his TT return. I think it was about $2K but it is Porsche so it may be justified.. If $400 is too much for Porsche repair, I would have to agree that maybe you don't have the stomach for the brand.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

It sounds like you had a really frustrating experience, but I wouldn't ditch Porsche over something like this. Take a deep breath, let some time pass. It sounds like it all got settled fairly reasonably in the end. Don't cut off your nose as they say.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

He just leased a turbo, so I'm guessing he has at least 2 years to sit on it. However, there really is no other brand to go to from here.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:21 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

$400 ain't bad, but the journey was a mess. I accidentally threw away the key to our X6--$300 penalty at lease return.

Quick Reply: PFS end of lease shenanigans