Sponsored by:

HELP! Squeaking Creaking Chirping Noise from Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:18 PM
t0mas
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP! Squeaking Creaking Chirping Noise from Dashboard

My 991 C2 has developed an intermittent squeaking, creaking, chirping noise coming from the driver's side of the dash and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

It is intermittent, but when it starts happening, I can induce it through either slight acceleration or braking ... though it also happens when the car is not moving (engine on). The noise sounds like a combination of sail mast creak, trim pieces rubbing together and the creak of something cooling off.

I'm thinking it could be a/c related, but it's still there when I shut of the a/c - at least for the next few minutes that I run the a/c "off".

I don't want my dealer to pull everything apart to try to find the cause - so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by t0mas; 08-21-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added to description
Old 08-24-2015, 03:16 PM
carmmel04
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar noise thinking it was within the dash. Dealer knew exactly what it was. Suspension mount. Changed under warranty.
Squeak gone. Could be that is what you're hearing?
Old 08-24-2015, 04:40 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carmmel04
I had a similar noise thinking it was within the dash. Dealer knew exactly what it was. Suspension mount. Changed under warranty.
Squeak gone. Could be that is what you're hearing?
Same here, but never had the noise at a standstill. The shock top mount on the driver's side was making a loud, rubbing styrofoam type noise. They retorqued the shock nut and it went away for a while. Came back and I sprayed some rubber conditioner on the mount and it 's been gone for a few months now. Dealer ordered a new mount, but I never got it installed since it's been fine.

The other possibility is the gas tank. Apparently there are some foam pieces that are slipping out of place and causing the tank to make a rubbing noise.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:15 AM
t0mas
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

QUICK UPDATE:
I picked up my car from my dealer today, and squeaking noise problem appears to have been resolved. The source of the noise was indeed identified as the fuel tank / gas tank rubbing against the firewall. They rush ordered the parts needed, completed the fix and all seems good!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:15 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Glad your noise issue was resolved.

I think I have the fuel tank / foam noise. (noise is somewhere around/behind gas pedal, so not likely strut).
Supposedly there is a service bulletin on this? Any references to the bulletin would be super helpful.

Thank you.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:18 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Thanks for your timely post.

The chirping bird in the dash is annoying.

I have it on my list for the cars next dealer visit.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:33 PM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 141 Posts

I have the same type of noise, very intermittent but its there. Great info. Rennlist is the bees knees.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:38 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I have this too. It's a high pitched rattle that I get over rough pavement. It is not consistent and sometimes goes away entirely. I haven't nailed it down; I brought it up at my last dealer visit and it went away before they could troubleshoot. Came back a week later.

991 is a noisy car.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:20 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had problems with rattles since I got the car and am taking it in yet again to try and get it fixed. From day 1 there was a rattle coming from the dash in speaker area to the left of the steering wheel every now and then when I had AM talk on. If I turned it off or switched to FM or other audio sources the rattle was gone. The other day I was driving and could hear the rattle even with the radio off.

There is also a noise coming someone from the passenger side under any kind of acceleration or over bumps, but it's intermittent.

What makes me nervous is I was talking to someone whose dad has an early 80's 911 that she said she hates to ride in because it rattles so much. I don't want my 991.1 to be like that in a few years since it already rattles so much
Old 07-01-2021, 11:46 PM
fillzplace
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found it

I love this forum. Just picked up my new to me 2012.5 911 a had this nasty squeak. Found this thread, removed the cover under the hood, drove around - noise still there.

I noticed some small gravel/dirt in the area between the “shelf” and the top of the gas tank (where the foam is wedged in). After jumping in the frunk, it certainly sounded like it was coming from there.

First vacuumed, then some moderate spraying with some water from a garden hose, air dry, test drive - quiet :-) I decided to spray a little Teflon lube around the foam and tank (very little) to make it a little slippery for the longer haul.

Thanks for the directions and troubleshooting info!

Quick Reply: HELP! Squeaking Creaking Chirping Noise from Dashboard