Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Development

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015 | 08:48 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

I think you are on the right track.
However, I think a manual would be great on a Turbo, because of the extra torque.
Also, the 991.2 manual is a Twin Disk, so it will shift & rev-match much nicer, than the current manual.

I like PDK on NA, but think it would feel wierd on a Turbo, which might be a big part of why so many people are not loving the 991.1 Turbo.
Old 08-19-2015 | 10:35 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
What's the primary reason you're trading up? I can't really tell from your post. If your 991 is a '14 or prior and you trade up every 2-3 years, I'd say the only reason not to do it would be if you don't want to be an early adopter in the event there's teething pains. Other than that, I say why not.

there are always a few teething issues with a change , like the 2005 997, the 2012.5 991 ...lets not even talk about the 996s and its engine

Personally , I would skip any first year, esp with all new turbo engines w/o the " Turbo " 's larger cooling / air flow mgmt vents and slats ..I would most worry about heat mgmt related probs in the drivetrain until real world ownership miles start giving feedback to factory engrs that cannot be fixed with simple software recoding but requires beefed up " hard part " second model year and the pre owned market always knows this later on and discounts it into the price
Old 08-19-2015 | 11:54 AM
woodrow
Instructor

Default 991

Originally Posted by LexVan
Do it. You'll be out of it before the warrany expires. Just be patient and understanding that you're an early adopter and might spend a few extra days in a loaner car or drinking dealership coffee while your car gets fixed.
+1
Old 08-19-2015 | 12:48 PM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by lunarx
I think you are on the right track.
However, I think a manual would be great on a Turbo, because of the extra torque.
Also, the 991.2 manual is a Twin Disk, so it will shift & rev-match much nicer, than the current manual.

I like PDK on NA, but think it would feel wierd on a Turbo, which might be a big part of why so many people are not loving the 991.1 Turbo.
Just curious, who said they made room for a twin manual clutch system( takes up a lot of extra space).
Anybody else heard this?
Old 08-19-2015 | 01:06 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Key Left
Just curious, who said they made room for a twin manual clutch system( takes up a lot of extra space).
Anybody else heard this?
News to me.

And I don't even know where to start with the rest of that post.
Old 08-19-2015 | 01:23 PM
Dude174
Racer

Default Interesting Development

It was in one of the reviews - maybe automobile magazine one
Old 08-19-2015 | 01:41 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Anybody else heard this?
Twin-Disk (not Twin-Clutch).
GM moved to Twin-Disk (ZR1, CTS-V2, C7 Z06) to handle the torque and cure the shiftimg issues that plauged their single disk clutches.
Aftermarket had Twin-Disk for a long time prior.
They are better on all levels, except cost.

The 991.2 driving review (where the author was just a passenger) mentioned the Twin-Disk clutch.
Makes sense, because they have higher torque ratings to deal with FI.
Old 08-19-2015 | 03:13 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Do it.

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid that the peanut gallery here is punch drunk on. Nothing wrong with turbos. If someone didn't tell you the 991.2 had a blower, you'd never be the wiser. This isn't the 993 generation.

Esp as a daily driver, the extra torque down low will make for an uber terrific car.

Go. Trade. Drive. Enjoy.
OP, you really need to pay attention to this post ^^^^. Ipse speaks the truth.
Old 08-19-2015 | 03:14 PM
Key Left
Pro

Twin-Disk (not Twin-Clutch).
GM moved to Twin-Disk (ZR1, CTS-V2, C7 Z06) to handle the torque and cure the shiftimg issues that plauged their single disk clutches.
Aftermarket had Twin-Disk for a long time prior.
They are better on all levels, except cost.

The 991.2 driving review (where the author was just a passenger) mentioned the Twin-Disk clutch.
Makes sense, because they have higher torque ratings to deal with FI.
Sounds like overkill, you'd need lots more torque, besides twin manual clutches have flywheel stop and go issues and make a lot of extra idling noise.
Old 08-19-2015 | 03:19 PM
FORENN
Banned

I've driven PDK on several different 991 models. There is no car for which it is better suited than the Turbo and Turbo S. I think it will be great on the new 991.2. Personally, I think MT is far better suited for N/A as the combination gives you that old school feel that many like. Turbo and PDK are clearly the future and, as the OP stated in his opening post, people will adapt...just as the vast majority did to water-cooled.
Old 08-19-2015 | 04:55 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I actually love turbo cars, and after owning an N54 E92, with tiny little turbos, I appreciate how far turbos have come and how there is such minimal lag. I actually just bought a new to me 2013 C2S, but if I had the funds I would strongly consider the 991.2. The four wheel steering seems particularly interesting.

Also I live in the city (San Francisco), so there is a lot more block to block acceleration, and the turbo motor would be great for that.

The updated PCM, 4WS, and turbo motor are all positives for me.

I say go for it!
Old 08-19-2015 | 05:25 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Sounds like overkill, you'd need lots more torque, besides twin manual clutches have flywheel stop and go issues and make a lot of extra idling noise.
This is not true.
Twin Disk Clutches can have smooth take-up, because they have more surface area, so they can use a less agressive friction media.
Also, they can use a smaller diameter with lower inertia, so less torque is robbed in low gears.
They can also use less pressure plate force, giving a lighter pedal.
Good designs don't exhibit objectionable plate rattle.
Its true that aftermarket versions often have overely agressive friction media and less than optimal plate designs and do exhibit the problems you describe, but it is often worse for single disk designs with comparable tourqe holding capacity.
When properly designed (as an OEM would build) Twin Disk are superior to single disk on all levels.
Old 08-19-2015 | 10:00 PM
Key Left
Pro

They are only superior if you need it to handle more torque. Their operation is more on/ off switch like....and you ultimately must shoulder the extra cost of the part itself plus service. They are an overkill gadget, plain and simple.
Old 08-19-2015 | 10:55 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

They are only superior if you need it to handle more torque. Their operation is more on/ off switch like....and you ultimately must shoulder the extra cost of the part itself plus service. They are an overkill gadget, plain and simple.
I agree they cost more.
I disagree about on/off take-up.
I have had bad ones (on/off engagement) and good ones (smooth engagement).
Take-up engagement is dependent on the friction media and weather it is full face or puck.
Apparently Porsche thinks the 991.2 FI engines need a stronger, more advanced clutch.
This update should be seen as good news, for those who still like manuals.
I am sure you will find that they will work incredibly well.
Old 08-20-2015 | 12:34 AM
SB
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
So I'm thinking about pre-trading in my car in September for a 991.2.

Surprisingly, I can get a decent value on the trade-in. ....
How does pre trading work. Do you give up the car early and then wait for the new car to arrive? Do you still realize tax savings on trade in?

Quick Reply: Interesting Development