Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Development

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:40 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

So I'm thinking about pre-trading in my car in September for a 991.2.

Surprisingly, I can get a decent value on the trade-in. I'd be going from a 991.1 C2S Coupe to a 991.2. I won't track the car, alright, maybe one or twice. Here are the pros and cons as I see them:

Pros:

1) The car will be slightly faster
2) I would get a PDK as I think it would be better to have that with turbo engine as opposed to a manual (solely my personal non-judgemental view)
3) This new technology will be the new standard and ultimately we'll adapt

Cons:

1) I would miss the linear predictable tach sweep of the NA motor
2). While I'm sure the new version of PSE will be fine, I'll miss what I currently have
3) While having PDK would be fun at first, I'm concerned over time that I'd miss the manual (see 2) above regarding non-judgemental view)
4). New technology - new problems to sort through

This will be a weekend car and I typically don't keep them for more than 2-3 years. What say you? Wait until they sort through first cycle problems?

As an alternative, I really like the 991.1 Turbo, but spending 160k on a car that will be worth 100k in three years is tough. Plus, obviously the new 991.2 top "turbo" will even be better and then I'll be kicking myself that I didn't wait if I ultimately want to go in that direction.

I know in the end it's all a personal decision but I'd love the group's view. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2015, 10:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Do it. You'll be out of it before the warrany expires. Just be patient and understanding that you're an early adopter and might spend a few extra days in a loaner car or drinking dealership coffee while your car gets fixed.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:10 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Do it.

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid that the peanut gallery here is punch drunk on. Nothing wrong with turbos. If someone didn't tell you the 991.2 had a blower, you'd never be the wiser. This isn't the 993 generation.

Esp as a daily driver, the extra torque down low will make for an uber terrific car.

Go. Trade. Drive. Enjoy.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:15 PM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I understand it, 991.2 won't show until February or March next year at the earliest. Also, as I understand it, dealers can't place an order yet. Have you been told otherwise? I also waiting to place an order as soon as the order book opens up.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

What's the primary reason you're trading up? I can't really tell from your post. If your 991 is a '14 or prior and you trade up every 2-3 years, I'd say the only reason not to do it would be if you don't want to be an early adopter in the event there's teething pains. Other than that, I say why not.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:09 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife was like that. Couldn't stand having a given car more than three years. Unless you're over 80 or dying from some disease, what the Hell. You'll only have to endure a mistake for a couple of years.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:55 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LCW
As I understand it, 991.2 won't show until February or March next year at the earliest. Also, as I understand it, dealers can't place an order yet. Have you been told otherwise? I also waiting to place an order as soon as the order book opens up.
I live in the East Coast and am ok waiting as most of my down time would be when the car is tucked away foe the Winter.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:58 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
What's the primary reason you're trading up? I can't really tell from your post. If your 991 is a '14 or prior and you trade up every 2-3 years, I'd say the only reason not to do it would be if you don't want to be an early adopter in the event there's teething pains. Other than that, I say why not.
The main reason would be just to have a little variety and also to experience the fun of peeling off the wrapper again - I know that sounds horrible.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:55 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds honest I'd say. Go for it
Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
The main reason would be just to have a little variety and also to experience the fun of peeling off the wrapper again - I know that sounds horrible.
I think a lot of us on here can identify with this. I know I can. Some people like to travel, some people like books, some people like to buy watches..... and we like to buy cars!!
Old 08-18-2015, 11:22 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

...2) I would get a PDK as I think it would be better to have that with turbo engine as opposed to a manual (solely my personal non-judgemental view)
Makes sense. The big concern for me would just be how trouble-free / reliable the first generation of the new motor proves to be. But sounds as though you're likely out of this car and on to the next before you're out of warranty with the 991.2 anyway.

With respect to PDK - I think this actually matters quite a bit. I'm quite sure my current generation BMW is designed to work with the ZF 8-speed auto, rather than the 6 speed manual that I bought. The throttle doesn't want to be blipped and one can sense of loss of charge even between shifts. I like the manual and don't have any regrets, but my sense is nobody at BMW was thinking about optimizing the engine for the MT.

I read something about the turbo in the 992 (that's what the article in Total 911 says we're supposed to be calling it) being electrically pre-spooled, so maybe Porsche has thought about this. But my bet is the drivetrain is optimized for the PDK and the MT is available if you want it.

Good luck with the decision, but it seems kind of an easy one in favor of the 992 in your circumstance.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:12 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

I'll take the contrarian viewpoint. I intend to keep my 2014 S Cab (manual) for a very long time, because its the last of the naturally-aspirated cars. I've had turbos in a number of cars (Saab, BMW's, diesel trucks) and there is always turbo lag - always. It can be short, very short - but its there. In contrast to my wife's Audi SQ5 with the supercharger and its !BAM! - no lag at all. And Turbos are natural mufflers, so you lose that nice burble you get with a naturally aspirated car. Go drive a current 991 Turbo and then a "S" / GTS /GT3 and you will see for yourself.

The PDK debate is endless. We all know if performance and convenience is key then get it. We also all know that driver involvement is less and it pulls back a layer of the sports car driving experience.

I have lamented many of the cars I didn't keep or get over the years. My '63 Split Window Coupe, or my much-loved 911S from 1970. The V12 Ferrari 330 GT I took a pass on buying for $ 8,000. The abandoned Ferrari Dino I could have had for free but took a pass as I didn't have a garage to work on it. The Ford GT that I had a deposit check ready to write then felt $ 120K was too much for the car and left the dealership.

I think the 991 with a manual trans and naturally aspirated will prove out to be a highly desirable car down the road, the way that 993's are today. Time will tell, but it won't be anytime real soon. I also think a Ferrari 599 will be one of the great collectibles in the future and have spend some time with them, considering a purchase. Know what? The 991 is a better driver than that 599 in everything but a straight on drag race.

Porsche will always raise the bar. They have to, customers demand more speed. But speed in and of itself doesn't mean all that much. You get that Ferrari 599 going and with 612 hp and you find out its so fast that you can't really enjoy it because you are at 100 mph in the blink of an eye. Where you going to drive like that and still have a license? Same with all these complex hybrid performance cars....All I see is NIGHTMARE when out of warranty and you have to start paying the repair bills, they are so complex.

Pretty much I find the 2014 991S I own to be the best car I have ever had. Mine is a keeper.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Nothing horrible about it. It's your money, you should do whatever makes you happy. I've turned a bunch of cars quickly and kept a few long term. Always comes down to whether I really like the car and get attached to it or not. I expect to keep the cars I have now long term and don't expect to buy another car in this lifetime unless one of my current cars is wrecked or stolen. I'd be depressed about that if they weren't really awesome cars.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Think future

I view the 991.2 to be an interim fix car, not the end all and be all. The laws have changed and a turbo generation in the same body shell is a cheap answer. What Porsche will likely issue next will be the end all and be all , a 918/919 style hybrid with a naturally aspirated six powering a generator with a totally new body shell with improved braking (electrically, just look at the 991.1 emergency brake as a forerunner) and handling a la Formula one KERS. I'd say to anyone wait and enjoy what you've currently got and then sell up because the legacy driving style will be in demand and the 2020 hybrid will be the true dawning of the 911's future, and not just a stop gap model.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and thoughtful responses, I really appreciate it! This is a great community!!

Quick Reply: Interesting Development