larspronne
Track Day

topped with swissvax "mirage"

Old 08-13-2015 | 03:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Default Swissvax for Porsche

* note Dr. Collie as also an amateur photographer

Car looks great Doc. The important lesson here is also having good detailing skills and maintaining you car with great washes.
Old 08-13-2015 | 05:28 PM
ymg91150
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcollie
YMG - your car looks terrific. Have you been over to where they make the product and taken a tour? Bet it would be worthwhile if they are receptive to it. I'm sold on this stuff, if I have to re-apply every 6 weeks or so that's not a hardship. Daytime parking lot photos after application....it's definitely better than what I had on their before.
Thanks! Did I say that I love your wheels? I love your wheels!

I was there a few times to buy stuff or get some advice. Its a nice place (all black, of course) where they sell their products and offer detailing services, as well as detailing training. The folks there have alwalys been very kind and helpful. But I have never visited the factory itsel, not sure if they offer tours. I'll ask next time I'm there.

BTW: You seem to know exactely how much space there is under your front bumper!
BTW2: Great wheels!
Old 08-13-2015 | 05:34 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Thank you! I have an HRE wheel problem . Just don't let my wife know how much they cost or I'll have to take her on another beach vakay...
Old 08-13-2015 | 05:46 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Thank you! I have an HRE wheel problem . Just don't let my wife know how much they cost or I'll have to take her on another beach vakay...
Just like Scotty Cameron putters. They practically give them away. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 08-13-2015 | 05:48 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

DR: car looks great! Nice work.
Old 08-18-2015 | 02:56 AM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Swissvax line or Carnuaba waxes are some of the best. We still use the every once in a while today. I've had my jar of Crystal Rock for almost 3 years now and its still more than half full, definitely worth it IMO.
Old 08-18-2015 | 08:43 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Grunty
I find the p21s concours wax (or whatever it's called) to be a great value. While not cheap, it is not ridiculously overpriced and a little goes a very long way.
Ditto.

... snapped two shots to slow the reflectivity.
The car looks pretty, but beware reflections and next time, put on some pants!
Old 08-18-2015 | 08:58 AM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Finish looks great and I agree....it's all in the prep and it's very difficult to see differences between the different "high end" LSPs. I have a bit of a wax addiction (currently 18 different nuba's in the cabinet) and IMHO it's more about the user experience than the final result. And as you mentioned, there's a big difference in longevity should that matter to the user-I'm "waxing" my car every two weeks so clearly that's not important to me.

One of the ultimate threads on waxes is by Dr Oldz (Jim) who speaks to over 60 different nubas,so if you haven't already I would give this thread a good read. With Jim's help, I've found and enjoy many of what I already have in my cabinet.

http://www.live2detail.com/showthrea...ly-Nuba-Thread
Old 08-20-2015 | 01:23 AM
Key Left
Pro

I got lazy with detailing my cars, and switched over to Optimum spray products a few years back. They work pretty good and they are fast - and do OK. Then a couple of months ago a buddy gave me an old jar of Zymol Carbon he had from when he owned his Porsche and I clayed the car, then applied it and my 991 looked much better. I decided to just use the Optimum stuff on my two trucks and go back to a decent cleaner and wax.

I needed some more interior shampoo and some glass microfiber towels, so I'm on a detailer's web site and see the Swissvax products. $ 199 for a tub of Porsche wax an you need the $ 59 bottle of pre-cleaner polish. Are they nuts? But I was a little bit intrigued and did some research on it. Seems the guys in Europe love this stuff but not much talk about it in the USA. At first doubtful, I decided what-the-hell, and ordered it. It came in today.

I washed my car and did a panel at a time, first with the cleaner/polish and then applying the Swissvax by hand. Its 40 % pure carnauba wax so its very hard, and the heat from your hand helps flow the wax onto the car. Tool me 2 1/2 hours to do the car and I have a cab so no roof!

I was skeptical at first, but when I got done and stepped back..... WOW. What a difference. I've never seen any of my cars look this deep and wet, its pretty cool stuff. I have High Output lights in my garage and did this tonight, and snapped two shots to slow the reflectivity. You can see my wife's Audi SQ5 in the background also freshly washed and with Optimum products on it. Both are 2014 models and there is no comparison in the depth of the waxed finish.

I'm sold on this stuff. I used very little, but can see it will take at least two of the $ 59 cleaner bottles to one tin of wax. Some of you guys will scoff at this, but you probably would at Snap-On tools and swear by Craftsman. You pays your money, you takes your choice. It takes some time to do it right and its costly - but I don't know of anything better you can buy that will do THIS....to an agate grey car.

Have you tried Rejex? Here it is on my 32K example. Silver must be the hardest to shine.
Old 08-20-2015 | 01:58 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Key Left
Have you tried Rejex? Here it is on my 32K example. Silver must be the hardest to shine.
I've used REJEX for years, but limit it to my wheels and motorcycles (makes it easy to wash the bugs off). It doesn't product that rich a shine, but it great for preventing things from sticking to the surface.

Quick Reply: Swissvax for Porsche