Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with picking a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015 | 03:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
just remember that the PDK in the GT3 is a very different beast (programming wise, and I believe h/w too) than that found in other PDK
equipped cars.... so you'd better drive one before you buy.

I'd personally recommend looking for a GTS "on the lot"...
Only problem is going to be his budget. Every dealer ordered GTS I've ever seen on the showroom floor has been in the $130-150k range.

My advice, given the budget constraints, would a lightly used '14 C2S - mid $80s. That was he's not as exposed to a depreciation hit, in the event more financial challenges lie ahead.
Old 08-11-2015 | 06:06 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

GTS on the lot with manual. Some believe that with the manual with NA engine might hold its value very well in the coming years!!
Old 08-11-2015 | 06:22 PM
Mojo31
Racer

The PDK was first launched in 2009 with the DFI engines. It did not appear in the turbos until 2010 when the DFI turbo engine replaced the turbo'd Mezger engine.

Prior to the 2009 model year, the only auto tranny was the Tiptronic.

As for warranty, a two year old car will have 2 years of original warranty remaining, and adding a CPO warranty will extend that for an additional 2 years. It is possible to get a used car that is less than 2 years old and add the CPO warranty in order to extend the warranty to a total of more than 4 years from the date of second sale. For example a 1 year old car with CPO will carry a 5 year warranty, thus providing a better warranty than a new car.
Old 08-11-2015 | 06:27 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Only problem is going to be his budget. Every dealer ordered GTS I've ever seen on the showroom floor has been in the $130-150k range.

My advice, given the budget constraints, would a lightly used '14 C2S - mid $80s. That was he's not as exposed to a depreciation hit, in the event more financial challenges lie ahead.
I have seen dealer ordered GTS models rolling through the Dallas area showrooms with MSRPs lower than $120k. You are generally correct though.
Old 08-11-2015 | 06:32 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
lucky you didnt get my old lease 2013 X5 xDrive50... 3 years, 3+ dogs ... you get the picture?
Love that engine! We had it in our X6.... Step on it and gone!! Hang on puppies!!!!
Old 08-11-2015 | 06:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c_Gio
Love that engine! We had it in our X6.... Step on it and gone!! Hang on puppies!!!!
Yeah I liked it, esp with the M-Sport re-tune which added 40bhp ... but then the
engine fell afoul of the known cracked manifold problem ... then of course there was the SNORETronic transmission
Old 08-11-2015 | 07:23 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

CPO S or 50th would be the best deal.
Although, if I was in the market right now, I would custom order a 991.2 4S (from whatever dealer gives the best discount).
Sure, I prefer NA, but I believe the 991.2 4S is going to very quick.
I'm thinking sub 3.5s 0-60 and 11.5s 1/4 mile. Probably 6+s faster on the ring.
Old 08-11-2015 | 11:19 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

I once sold one of my cars to finance a business and it sucks being in that position. Knowing that you know your finances best. I don't see how 30k is going to save anyone from loosing there house. Might be a temporary solution but if things don't get better quick a 996 may be in the horizon. I'd say keep the GT3 and take a second job at Home Depot. Or sell it entirely until better days come your way.
Old 08-11-2015 | 11:31 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by lunarx
CPO S or 50th would be the best deal. Although, if I was in the market right now, I would custom order a 991.2 4S (from whatever dealer gives the best discount). Sure, I prefer NA, but I believe the 991.2 4S is going to very quick. I'm thinking sub 3.5s 0-60 and 11.5s 1/4 mile. Probably 6+s faster on the ring.
I would prefer an NA over the 991.2. All of that added weight doesn't add up to much faster times. Sure power delivery will change dramatically and the car will feel faster but I can't see it being that quick. Current TT's are running high 10s in the 1/4 with 560 hp.
Old 08-12-2015 | 12:44 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
I think you'll find that was the torque-converter-based transmission, the Tiptronic. Here's the Wikipedia blurb on the PDK for street use: Porsche AG offers a series production[42] of two new longitudinally installed, ZF Friedrichshafen AG designed and built with Porsche[43][46] "7DT" wet-clutch versions[42] of its previously race-only[6][46] Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe[46] (PDK) transmission. The first variant, the 7DT-45,[42] is used on its 2009 997 Carrera and Carrera S models.[3][43][83][84] This version is also offered on the 2009 Cayman,[3][42] Boxster[3][42] It uses a ZF Sachs ND2015 clutch pack,[42] and has a torque handling capacity of 500 N·m (369 lbf·ft).[42] A higher torque version of the same transmission, the 7DT-70,[42] is also available for the 2010 911 Turbo.[42][85] This is rated at 780 N·m (575 lbf·ft),[42] and uses a different ZF Sachs clutch—the ND2216.[42] The second PDK variant, the 7DT-75,[42] is available on the 2009 Panamera.[3][42][46][86] This is constructed fundamentally differently from the 7DT-45/7DT-70 versions; in that the internal shafts are mounted above the input shaft, so as to achieve a lower centre of gravity for the Panamera.[42] It also uses just one oil circuit,[42] whereas the 7DT-45/7DT-70 use two separate circuits;[42] with very different specifications of fluids needed.[42] Both variants use seven forward speeds,[3][44][83] and Porsche claim the Doppelkupplung PDK transmission will replace the outgoing conventional Tiptronic automatic transmissions.[43][83] However, other reliable industry sources state that Porsche still intends to use conventional automatics; with the eight-speed ZF 8HP being cited.[42] Like all DCTs, the Porsche PDK transmission is fundamentally two separate manual transmissions in one.[3] With the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th gears and reverse available on one shaft,[3] and 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears available on the other shaft.[3][87] Porsche claims noteworthy improvements in CO2 emissions of around 15% when comparing DCT installations against its former automatic transmission,[42] of which half can be directly attributed to the DCT.[42] When compared directly with a manual transmission, 16% improvement can be directly attributed to the DCT.[42]

Car and Driver claims the PDK was made available on the Boxster/Cayman during the mid-cycle refresh in 2005, and on the 911 in 2009. At any rate it was perfectly reliable on my Boxster S.
Old 08-12-2015 | 12:55 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I would prefer an NA over the 991.2. All of that added weight doesn't add up to much faster times. Sure power delivery will change dramatically and the car will feel faster but I can't see it being that quick. Current TT's are running high 10s in the 1/4 with 560 hp.
I hear what you are saying, but I think the 991.2 4S will put all it's extra torque to the ground and surprise a lot of people.
Old 08-12-2015 | 09:45 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

There are a lot of terrific and interesting thoughts. First, my business downturn was not weather related ( NY winter), it was due to a disruptive technology. I am just catching up and my future is bright.
I will buy cash. I do not like to finance items that I don't need. Yes a lease thru the company has benefits, but still. I will just pay cash.
If I think about selling my GT3, and what I got this March, it makes me ill. So I will do my best to replace it. I think if I find the right used Turbo, I will be ok.

The problem with a lot vehicle is it is usually spec'd in a way I don't like. Black black doesn't get it for me. I like white with red, or red with black and so on. When I drive my "toy"car, I want it to feel and look different than my normal rides.

I really want to fill the void created by selling the GT3 that I built, ordered and waited 14 months for.

I have my last child in college, and late last year, I started to touch my savings to pay her tuition, room board and so on. I guess I am a lucky person, as I usually paid those bills from my checking account, not savings. I did a quick recalc, and thought selling the 3 was the answer, which it was not. At the end of the day, if I sat tight, I would have been fine.

So I am afraid if I buy a new 911S, I may be a little disappointed.

I like the post of gently used Turbo S> new 911S

Thank you for your input. You are all very helpful to me!!

Now to call that guy with the used Turbo S!!!!!
Old 08-12-2015 | 04:51 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Default Help with picking a car

I only drove the S 991 but from what everyone says, the GT3 and turbos are very different experiences. If you can't get another comparable GT3, a turbo, especially a 997, may not fit the experience you expect. If you just want power for the money is seriously consider a Z06.
Old 08-12-2015 | 08:48 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by lunarx
I hear what you are saying, but I think the 991.2 4S will put all it's extra torque to the ground and surprise a lot of people.
This is the age old argument. Torque is great but I personally would always want my max hp as high up in the revs as possible. Simply because momentum is best accompanied by high rpm's and HP. It's that simple. Would you rather have a peak hp at say 4800 RPM or at 6800 RPM? Sure it's momentary but it makes all the difference. If those RPM carry HP the car accelerates faster.

Sure I would love to have both low end torque and high end HP. Who wouldn't. Today's engineering simply doesn't make that possible. Tomorrow is a different story. From what I've heard. Porsche is developing a turbo motor with variable compression. So in the near future we may very well have the best of both worlds. Today though given the choice I would rather have an NA motor. Sure turbo motors are fun to tweet and get gobs of HP from. I've done it for over twenty years. Sure it's fun if you can hold them together long enough for a win. NA is much more reliable and less complicated. Allowing for driver enjoyment. If we go back like ten years ago who would have ever thought possible that a little six would produce 500 hp like the current RS. Dam that's good.
Old 08-12-2015 | 08:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
This is the age old argument. Torque is great but I personally would always want my max hp as high up in the revs as possible. Simply because momentum is best accompanied by high rpm's and HP. It's that simple. Would you rather have a peak hp at say 4800 RPM or at 6800 RPM? Sure it's momentary but it makes all the difference. If those RPM carry HP the car accelerates faster. Sure I would love to have both low end torque and high end HP. Who wouldn't. Today's engineering simply doesn't make that possible. Tomorrow is a different story. From what I've heard. Porsche is developing a turbo motor with variable compression. So in the near future we may very well have the best of both worlds. Today though given the choice I would rather have an NA motor. Sure turbo motors are fun to tweet and get gobs of HP from. I've done it for over twenty years. Sure it's fun if you can hold them together long enough for a win. NA is much more reliable and less complicated. Allowing for driver enjoyment. If we go back like ten years ago who would have ever thought possible that a little six would produce 500 hp like the current RS. Dam that's good.
well said!

Quick Reply: Help with picking a car