Sponsored by:

Targa Rollbar Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015 | 08:48 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Default Targa Rollbar Rattle

Hi all!

I just picked up a CPO Targa 4S and I'm loving it!

I am having one small issue though; there's some kind of rattle behind me that seems to resonate most when I'm cruising at highway speeds.

I hear it when the top is up or down.

I started knocking on things today to isolate the source and I am pretty sure it's the rollbar; I was able to hear the same metallic sound when tapping the underside of the rollbar from within the car.

Is this a known issue? Any TSBs for this kinda thing out yet?
Old 08-06-2015 | 10:43 PM
intruder224
Rennlist Member

I had the same noise but had a hard time pinpointing where it was coming from. I said the roll bar, wife said it was not up that high. Checked a bit further and found the trim piece just in front of where the top stows was the culprit. There is a latch under one side; I took it off and put a couple of pieces of felt on either side and reattached it…end of problem.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2015 | 11:25 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I will check that spot out.

Was it kind of a high pitched "metallic rattle" that resonates at certain vibration frequencies?
Old 08-07-2015 | 07:46 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by intruder224
I had the same noise but had a hard time pinpointing where it was coming from. I said the roll bar, wife said it was not up that high. Checked a bit further and found the trim piece just in front of where the top stows was the culprit. There is a latch under one side; I took it off and put a couple of pieces of felt on either side and reattached it…end of problem.
Hope this helps.
I believe I've found this; do you mean the plastic "crossbar" that spans the width of the cabin?
Old 08-09-2015 | 10:34 AM
intruder224
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DerekS
I believe I've found this; do you mean the plastic "crossbar" that spans the width of the cabin?
Yep, that's it. I'm out of town right now but as I remember, if you feel underneath the bar near one end there is a button that you push that will disengage the bar, then just lift off.
Old 08-15-2015 | 09:51 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

I finally took the time to remove and pad the bar. It made a significant improvement, thanks!

However, my rattles are not entirely gone. I still hear something of a "plastic creak" going on from the far right of the crossbar...I may try additional padding there. And I also hear general creaks/squeaks from what seems like the entire glass top assembly.

I'm hoping there's a fix, as it's very disappointing for how much I spent on this thing!

Is this just 'Targa fact of life?"
Old 08-15-2015 | 09:57 AM
thomnellie
Racer

I finally took the time to remove and pad the bar. It made a significant improvement, thanks! However, my rattles are not entirely gone. I still hear something of a "plastic creak" going on from the far right of the crossbar...I may try additional padding there. And I also hear general creaks/squeaks from what seems like the entire glass top assembly. I'm hoping there's a fix, as it's very disappointing for how much I spent on this thing! Is this just 'Targa fact of life?"
Mine has been rattle and squeak free so far, with only 5k miles so far, though.
Old 08-15-2015 | 11:44 PM
intruder224
Rennlist Member

I finally took the time to remove and pad the bar. It made a significant improvement, thanks!

However, my rattles are not entirely gone. I still hear something of a "plastic creak" going on from the far right of the crossbar...I may try additional padding there. And I also hear general creaks/squeaks from what seems like the entire glass top assembly.

I'm hoping there's a fix, as it's very disappointing for how much I spent on this thing!

Is this just 'Targa fact of life?"
You may want to try a bit thicker piece of material on the area of the crossbar with the plastic creak. You could cut a small square of a micro fiber towel and put on either end and snap the crossbar down onto it.
Old 08-20-2015 | 01:38 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

I've noticed what I think is the same rattle. I'm a visual guy and I'm having a hard time identifying what you guys are doing to address this. Any chance one of you could take a photo of the area you are working on to fix the rattle? Much appreciated.
Old 08-21-2015 | 11:30 AM
intruder224
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I've noticed what I think is the same rattle. I'm a visual guy and I'm having a hard time identifying what you guys are doing to address this. Any chance one of you could take a photo of the area you are working on to fix the rattle? Much appreciated.
Here are a couple of pics. As you can probably see, they are taken from the left side looking aft. On the picture with my hand, this is where the release button is located underneath the bar. Hope this helps.
Attached Images   
Old 08-21-2015 | 12:08 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2015 | 06:57 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

To update my experience...

I removed the plastic trim bar that intruder224 pointed out (thanks!!!) and padded it with 4 strips of fuzzy-sided velcro.

That quieted the "plastic creak" rattle, but I still had a very annoying metallic sounding one that activated over rough pavement.

My wife tracked down the noise to the Alcantera headliner - specifically, the middle piece near the right rear. When tapping on it, I could hear it rattle.

The dealership found what they called a "plastic channel" running around loose in the headliner, and we thought that was that...but when I tapped it was still there.

They then put some kind of padding inside the headliner and that resolved it - no more rattle from the headliner!

I still get a fair amount of "rubbery creaks" from the top when the chassis is flexing, and some kind of rattle inside the dash area, but both are livable and my experience is much MUCH improved now that the buzz saw is out of my ear.
Old 09-23-2015 | 09:32 PM
RS911
Racer

Thank you for the info, DerekS
Old 09-23-2015 | 11:36 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Wow, knock on wood. My 2016 targa has been quieter than my 2013 coupe. A real joy.
Old 10-15-2015 | 11:14 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bernpep
Wow, knock on wood. My 2016 targa has been quieter than my 2013 coupe. A real joy.
Man that's awesome! Mine unfortunately continues to irritate.

I took it in for various services yesterday and had them look at the dash rattle (which they fixed, woot!) and the rear glass squeaks/thunk (which they slightly improved through lubrication but could not eliminate.)

Unfortunately when I picked it up, a NEW noise appeared, some kind of loose part jostling around over my head (sounds like the roof but is probably the headliner somewhere.) So it had to go back.

I've made a lot of improvement in the noises since I got it, but it's still way over the threshold I'd expect for the amount of money I paid.

I'm pretty disappointed in the Targa experience as a whole due to these issues.
Granted, I got "version 1.0" (MY 2014) so it's quite possible they have improved things since then.

Quick Reply: Targa Rollbar Rattle