GTS: Cab or Targa?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 02:31 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the posts- I appreciate it.
My concerns with the Targa are pretty much what everyone noted:
the folding mechanism (but I guess the cab mechanism is not too dissimilar).
the length of time it takes to open/close and that the car has to be stationary (do you guys think there will be a work around to this particular issue by 3rd party vendors like the SmartTop?).
wind buffeting at high speeds (the integrated cab deflector is actually pretty sweet in this regard).

I do, however, like the overall look of the Targa over the Cab and as I have not had this particular bodystyle, I may just opt for this.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:09 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

911 Targa is something very Porsche, I have a Targa GTS on order. I think the Targa is something everyone should own at some point in their life. A very distinct and historic Porsche vehicle - Cab is just another Convertible/911...

I should add a friend of mine switched out a 991 Cab for a 991 Targa and loves it, one of his all time favorite and was responsible for me putting in the order...
Old 08-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree.....go TARGA. I just ordered a TARGA GTS....sitting at the factory now waiting for completion after Holidays! I have had a 1984 Coupe and a 1989 Turbo Cab. The new Targa is so retro...So cool.......FYI...the motor for my 1989 Turbo is still the original motor...no issues....so i would not worry about the motor going bad on a Targa...... I do see that the new TARGA (non GTS) will offer color tops...the same as the cab.....
Old 08-05-2015, 07:58 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had my (non -GTS) targa 4S for 11 months. 997 cab for 4 years before that. I am completely pleased with the targa, I plan to drive it for years to come.
Good luck, great choices.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:12 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never driven a 911 cab, but did own a Boxster S before my current Targa. The need to stop to raise or lower the top turns out not to have been an issue. You have to slow down to 30 mph on a cab to raise or lower the top, which means pulling off a highway onto the shoulder anyway. In town, I found lowering or opening the top in my Boxster while driving was dangerous due to the distraction and momentary loss of rear vision, so I would still pull over. The constant buffeting on the left side of your head over 55 mph in the Targa is irritating, but disappears with the windows raised. Otherwise, the buffeting is inconsequential. I am only 5'8" so the buffeting might be different for someone with the driver's seat further back.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:23 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I own a boxster s and top down it gets windy / drafty over 60 mph even with windows up . The 991 cab is serene in that way but IMO does not look that great compared to coupe or targa

I drove a targa extensively and yes it needs to be stopped to put the roof but it gives you more of a cocoon feel but still gives you open air driving and even on highways the noise is not bad and no wind hitting the driver so it is very comfortable. Is there wind noise in the targa , yes there is but it does not get drafty like the boxster but you need the S motor at minimum as targa is heavy and awd

looks wise targa is the best looking 991

Originally Posted by hinckley
I think so . . . you mean the one at the windshield header, right?

I think noise issues in most open top cars come from wind entering the cabin and buffeting around inside. Although I'm sure that the windshield deflector helps, it's the pop-up wind block behind the seats that really does the job. The 991 Cab's integrated, electrically deploying wind block is one of the things that really sold me on the model. I don't think any other car has that, and I do wonder why something similar could not have been engineered into the Targa.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Go Targa - think its beautiful looking

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 08-09-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:15 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GTS: Cab or Targa?

Just came back from a 200 mile trip in my new targa. Yes there is some noise over 65. Not really enough wind to tussle your hair very much.
The thing that really impressed me was how incredibly quiet it was with the top up on the highway. I have to say it is quieter than the 2013 coupe which I turned in for the targa. Top is super insulated. Very happy with my 2016 targa so far
Old 08-09-2015, 07:33 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by casaforte9
I own a boxster s and top down it gets windy / drafty over 60 mph even with windows up . The 991 cab is serene in that way but IMO does not look that great compared to coupe or targa

I drove a targa extensively and yes it needs to be stopped to put the roof but it gives you more of a cocoon feel but still gives you open air driving and even on highways the noise is not bad and no wind hitting the driver so it is very comfortable. Is there wind noise in the targa , yes there is but it does not get drafty like the boxster but you need the S motor at minimum as targa is heavy and awd

looks wise targa is the best looking 991
When I put a sheet of paper on the passenger seat of my BoxsterS, it was out of the car at under 30 mph. When I do the same with my Targa, it's still there at 65.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:07 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replys- great to read them all.
At this point, it seems like its going to be a Sapphire Blue Targa GTS!
Now I just have to get the build going.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkrp
Thanks for the replys- great to read them all.
At this point, it seems like its going to be a Sapphire Blue Targa GTS!
Now I just have to get the build going.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:27 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

We have a Sapphire Blue Targa S... the color pulls in lots of compliments!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:01 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I am a coupe guy, but if choosing between the new Targa and a cab, I think I would get the Targa.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

I went back and forth between Carmine Red and Sapphire Blue. Back and forth. Finally settled on Carmine Red because I've never owned a red car and living in Seattle I'm under a protective layer of gray for much of the year. But man, whenever I see Sapphire Blue shining in the sun it looks like an amazing color and buyers remorse starts to creep in
Old 08-11-2015, 02:30 AM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I went back and forth between Carmine Red and Sapphire Blue. Back and forth. Finally settled on Carmine Red because I've never owned a red car and living in Seattle I'm under a protective layer of gray for much of the year. But man, whenever I see Sapphire Blue shining in the sun it looks like an amazing color and buyers remorse starts to creep in
Jeff- you have an amazing car; you are going to love it!
I, too, went back and forth between these colors and in the end, decided on the blue as it was my kids favorite pick.

Quick Reply: GTS: Cab or Targa?