Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Rattles? Try a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015 | 09:05 PM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Default Got Rattles? Try a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports

I replaced the P Zero's with a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports the other day.

I thought it was my imagination at first, but after several drives I clearly notice that the majority of the cabin rattles that drove me mildly insane are now GONE.

I've had these tires on other cars and happy to report they are just as good on the 911. Grip is at least as good at the P Zeros, ride and noise are improved substantially.

Old 07-28-2015 | 09:09 PM
LexVan
Banned

Same PSI settings? Lucky to have gotten MSS with the back order.
Old 07-28-2015 | 09:21 PM
dthacker
AutoX

Michelin PSS are amazing tires for DD'ing with great wet and dry performance as well as comfort level; I've had them as my last two sets for the street. If you are doing any driving events be aware they will get greasy.
Old 07-28-2015 | 09:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blschaefer1
I replaced the P Zero's with a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports the other day.

I thought it was my imagination at first, but after several drives I clearly notice that the majority of the cabin rattles that drove me mildly insane are now GONE.

I've had these tires on other cars and happy to report they are just as good on the 911. Grip is at least as good at the P Zeros, ride and noise are improved substantially.

OK fess up ... where did you find a set???? 245's & 305's or 295's?
Old 07-29-2015 | 12:02 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by dthacker
Michelin PSS are amazing tires for DD'ing with great wet and dry performance as well as comfort level; I've had them as my last two sets for the street. If you are doing any driving events be aware they will get greasy.
What psi were you running when they got "greasy"? Not cold, at the time.
Old 07-29-2015 | 12:21 AM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
OK fess up ... where did you find a set???? 245's & 305's or 295's?
245's and 295's. Tire Rack got some stock of 295's. 305's are on back order until who the heck knows.
Old 07-29-2015 | 12:36 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Here's a set of brand new 255's for the front for sale:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...500-total.html
Old 07-29-2015 | 02:52 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Probably goes without saying, but be careful comparing a set of worn-out PZeros with a set of brand new MPSSes. Tires get somewhat noisier as the tread wears down. I don't know if anyone has ever swapped MPSSes out for PZeros, but I'll bet they'd report the same thing.
Old 07-29-2015 | 03:24 AM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Probably goes without saying, but be careful comparing a set of worn-out PZeros with a set of brand new MPSSes. Tires get somewhat noisier as the tread wears down. I don't know if anyone has ever swapped MPSSes out for PZeros, but I'll bet they'd report the same thing.
I've got P Zeros with 2k miles on another set of wheels that were on the car immediately before the swap. No question the MPSS's are quieter with less resonance. Same pressures. I run 34 front 37 rear.
Old 07-29-2015 | 11:58 AM
pyramid
Racer

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
+1

I swapped my previous 991C2 MY13 with MPSS when the factory Pzero only had 500km as I recall. PSS definitely softer, felt stickier but NOT more quiet. In fact after around 500km on PSS, I swap back to factory Pzero and can tell the Pirellis were actually more quiet and more reassuring on high speed cornering (but less sticky), maybe due to harder sidewall. All were on partially loaded and comfort pressure.

I wont bother going back to factory Pzero if it wasn't due to that ugly donuts look on 295's PSS for the rear. It comes with sidewalls protection (101Y XL BMW spec Michelin), just like the fronts 245's thus makes the gap to fender looks bigger. Maybe should have went with 255/305 combination, but not sure how "thick" they will look.

Anyway, if anyone in SE Asia looking for almost new 245/295 MPSS, I'll sell them at half the price .
Old 08-09-2015 | 10:42 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pyramid
+1

I swapped my previous 991C2 MY13 with MPSS when the factory Pzero only had 500km as I recall. PSS definitely softer, felt stickier but NOT more quiet. In fact after around 500km on PSS, I swap back to factory Pzero and can tell the Pirellis were actually more quiet and more reassuring on high speed cornering (but less sticky), maybe due to harder sidewall. All were on partially loaded and comfort pressure.

I wont bother going back to factory Pzero if it wasn't due to that ugly donuts look on 295's PSS for the rear. It comes with sidewalls protection (101Y XL BMW spec Michelin), just like the fronts 245's thus makes the gap to fender looks bigger. Maybe should have went with 255/305 combination, but not sure how "thick" they will look.

Anyway, if anyone in SE Asia looking for almost new 245/295 MPSS, I'll sell them at half the price .
Having done the swap just now on my 981BS I can agree with those who say the MPSSes are quiet -- at least more so than a 20K mile set of PZeros. Very pleased with them so far.

That said, I don't see much upside in ditching a brand new set of PZeros for them. They are both great street tires. I still need to see how they do this winter in the cold/wet, of course.
Old 08-10-2015 | 11:43 AM
blschaefer1
Instructor

I'm still amazed how quiet the PSS's are versus the P Zeros. It dawned on me yesterday that I could actually hear the PSE so much more clearly, without it having to compete with the drone of the P Zeros.

Quick Reply: Got Rattles? Try a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports