Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 "undisguised"

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015 | 08:03 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by strumbringer
Wow, that's racist. Even if they are designing with other markets in mind too, to say it gets "uglier" because of that is just ... ugh.
Really?

Wow, welcome to the future.

For the record, I hate all the Russian food I've had, and the vast majority of Polish food. It tastes like crap. I think Chinese architecture is, yes, ugly. I never like the styling of Japanese watches, home electronics, or cars as much as their European counterparts. Therefore, I am officially racist.

I will try and like all things from now on.
Old 07-19-2015 | 08:27 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by destaccado
It's already happening. That's why the 991 has 10,000 buttons.
The car has 10,000 buttons because it's a Porsche-thing, not an Asian-thing. Porsche's philosophy is that the driver stays more focused on driving with direct input buttons than with iDrive/MMI like controllers that they believe make you look away from the road for longer periods of time. I don't necessarily agree, but that's the Porsche way.
Old 07-19-2015 | 09:49 AM
hawc
Racer

Does not liking certain country's cars make you racist?
Old 07-19-2015 | 09:57 AM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

The door handle surrounds look better on .2 compared to .1
But other than this, nothing else on the exterior of .2 looks better, and a lot of the changes look worse. I'll think it'll be in the cabin where there'll be worthwhile changes: wheel, PCM, PDK shifter orientation +/- -/+.
Annotation courtesy of Chris3963.

Old 07-19-2015 | 10:35 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Really?

Wow, welcome to the future.

For the record, I hate all the Russian food I've had, and the vast majority of Polish food. It tastes like crap. I think Chinese architecture is, yes, ugly. I never like the styling of Japanese watches, home electronics, or cars as much as their European counterparts. Therefore, I am officially racist.

I will try and like all things from now on.
Originally Posted by hawc
Does not liking certain country's cars make you racist?
Allow me to clarify the difference. You are welcome to say you dislike every single flavor of food other than the stuff you eat at home You are welcome to specifically say you dislike food from any part of the world. You are welcome to say that Chinese architecture is not your thing too.

Saying that Porsche cars will get uglier because they have more customers from Asia now is what I was objecting to. He was basically implying that Asian customers like ugly things, or that they can't appreciate beautiful things. That's what's racist. The difference is subtle, granted.

FTR, I dislike pretty much all of the current generation of Japanese designed cars (the upcoming NSX may be an exception since I'm waiting to see it in person before deciding) too.
Old 07-19-2015 | 10:40 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Originally Posted by hinckley
The car has 10,000 buttons because it's a Porsche-thing, not an Asian-thing. Porsche's philosophy is that the driver stays more focused on driving with direct input buttons than with iDrive/MMI like controllers that they believe make you look away from the road for longer periods of time. I don't necessarily agree, but that's the Porsche way.
I can see where they are coming from with that. When BMW first launched the iDrive, I hated it because I could not operate it safely when driving at freeway speeds - but I find the current generation that's in my wife's car easier to use than pretty much any other car setup. The better screen position means I don't have to look down, the UI issues have been sorted out and everything is much cleaner. I like that they have dedicated buttons for the main functions around the control stalk. Frankly the PCM setup lags the BMW's control setup by a lot. The touchscreen is pointless; talk about not being able to focus on the road!
Old 07-19-2015 | 11:42 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Default 991.2 "undisguised"

Originally Posted by destaccado
I have no doubt the 911 will continue to get uglier -- pictures or no pictures.

The Asian market is making up a larger and larger share of their sales and the design will move from the West toward the East. It's already happening. That's why the 991 has 10,000 buttons.
There's no shortage of western customers that for some reason want what should be one of the more pure leaning and borderline visceral sports car icons of all time to be eerily similar to a garden variety 2 door Lexus with a bit more power.

There's already tons of current and future 911 customers clamoring for "more tech" and comically luxurious creature comforts. If they made a 200 way seat that weighted 100lbs each, cost 15 grand and integrated with Siri to pull your settings straight from your sleep number bed analysis app, you can bet that thousands (from the "west") would order it.
Old 07-19-2015 | 12:43 PM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Funny thing, I loved the SD front end at first. It looks good at a glance, but the more I looked at it, the less it grew on me. To the point where I actually prefer the base bumper with the Sport PASM lip. It just looks cleans and sporty, especially on a lowered Sport PASM car. I really like the look of the Vorsteiner lip on the base bumper on a lowered car also.
I second that idea...smart, simple look.
Old 07-19-2015 | 12:54 PM
Key Left
Pro

[QUOTE=russm535il;12442478]I hope that the seats are as good as they look I Plan to order one ! Love the blue !
My 997 silver coupe has only has 2asti8k but I want something more comfortable for long trips and from what I have read the 991 is an improvement .[/QUOTE

Fantastic on long trips, have 34k all long hikes.
Old 07-19-2015 | 01:25 PM
hawc
Racer

Originally Posted by strumbringer
Allow me to clarify the difference. You are welcome to say you dislike every single flavor of food other than the stuff you eat at home You are welcome to specifically say you dislike food from any part of the world. You are welcome to say that Chinese architecture is not your thing too. Saying that Porsche cars will get uglier because they have more customers from Asia now is what I was objecting to.
But see there's the rub.

It's not about only liking what you grew up with at home. It's about loving what certain cultures have to offer and hating what other cultures have to offer. I don't hate the people. I just don't like their design sense. And perhaps their build quality.

There are no Canadian cars so there's nothing for me to love here. I hate American cars. I hate Asian cars. I like German cars. I also like Scandinavian designed furniture and architecture and I like Italian suits and French pastries. I'm not really into anything from the Caribbean, but my family and friends love it. And conversely would hate some of the things from the countries that I like. I don't hate the countries/people just what comes out of there product wise.

So I think it's perfectly acceptable to say "I hate Asian cars." That's not racist. And maybe you're not saying it is.

I also think it's perfectly acceptable, that if you love German design, to say I hate the current/future trend towards the Asian design influence on German design. Or the short hand of that, I hate what Asia is doing to our cars.

I don't like the way Lexus looks inside and out. I don't like the way Honda looks inside and out and so and so on with Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai etc.

So if Porsche is deliberately designing their cars with more of an Asian look to appeal to people in Asia who like Asian looking designs, it's not racist to say I hate that.

That said, let's not forget it was Pinky Lai an Asian designer who was head of Porsche design for the 996 911 and 986 Boxster Cayman.
Old 07-19-2015 | 01:54 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default A personal sighting of the .2 991...

If any of you have read my thread (linked below) on my ongoing visit in Germany, and Porsche in particular, you would have read that on the day of my factory tour last Thursday (July 16th), one half of the assembly line was off-limit to us due to some .2 991 vehicles being built. So PAG timed the start of the tour 1/2 hour later than normal (10:30 AM) so that we would miss these facelift versions at the start of their built.

Series production on the .2 991 has not yet started at Zuffenhausen. These are pre-production models that are being used for testing, publicity photos, marketing and perhaps even Frankfurt Auto Show demos. These .2 are also being sporadically being run through the assembly line to give workers and the production engineers experience so they can plan for any contingencies, or troubles, in series production. So not many - just a few - of these .2 are coming through the production line in the past days, just days before PAG starts their summer vacation which this year will probably commence around August 1st.

But back to my factory tour on Thursday, as we were finishing our guided walk and looking out the ramp to the rear of Werk II from one of the floors of the assembly building, one of the .2 991 (a glass roof S model in 'Lava Orange') inadvertently appeared in the parking lot after it rolled off the line. Nobody in the tour noticed because they were not die-hard Porsche enthusiasts...but it was a thrill for someone like me who was in the lookout for exactly such an 'sighting'.

The next day I saw another .2 991, also in 'Lava Orange', driving down Schweiberdinger Strasse just past Porsche Platz 1. And as I waited for my appointment with executives at 'Porsche Exclusive' at about noon of July 17th, a .2 991 in 'Carmine Red' drove right past me at the entrance gate on Porsche Strasse. It first stood right in front of me for a minute or two while its driver had a conversation with the security guard. It looked at first to be just a .1 991 from that front angle. Only after it went by me did I realized what it was...and quickly tried to take a photo. It turned out to be quite blurry since I was not prepared for it. Sorry. But here it is in any case:

If any of you is interested on this visit to Zuffenhausen, and shortly to Porsche at Leipzig, please follow it at this thread here at Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ly-2015-a.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Volkach, Franken-area of Germany

Old 07-19-2015 | 03:25 PM
dgstandard
1st Gear

The rear pic immediately brought an image of a Chrysler Crossfire to mind

- signed, a Porsche fan
Old 07-19-2015 | 03:47 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356

If any of you is interested on this visit to Zuffenhausen, and shortly to Porsche at Leipzig, please follow it at this thread here at Rennlist:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ly-2015-a.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Volkach, Franken-area of Germany

Eduardo, it's tough to see the vents on the decklid. Horizontal, or vertical?
Old 07-19-2015 | 04:31 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Default 991.2 "undisguised"

Well....,,,,the new Lexus spindle grills are pretty damn ugly. BUT, I do think Japanese people are nice.
Old 07-19-2015 | 05:26 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
Loss of the NA engine? Tragic.
I agree. It may all grow on me, but the standard NA engine of a Carrera, Carrera S, Carrera GTS, and GT3 will be a serious change to a low Hp turbo.

Quick Reply: 991.2 "undisguised"