Sponsored by:

991 911 Power Steering Plus

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:08 AM
AlbertC4S
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I have cars with and without and I've driven them back to back multiple times. It has absolutely no impact on 'steering feel' at anything but a parking lot speed, or turns so slow you're literally at a crawling pace. Other than that, you'd have no idea whether your car has it or not. It's there simply to make driving in tight, slow situations (aka, parking lots) slightly easier. Which is all it does. Having driven both cars a bit now, I can say it's actually less additional assist than I originally thought, and the difference really isn't as much as I thought. After driving my Carrera a bit without it, I'm now not sure I'm going to add it. You do know that ALL the cars have power assisted steering right? Even those before it was electronic, right?
I just have prior experience with an NSX, 996 C4S, 996 TT, Cayman S, GT-R and M3 and PSP reminds me of my Audi S5 and Maserati Grand Sport. There is a difference!
Old 05-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Yes, I had it done at Hennessy Porsche last month. They had never done one either and had to "check into if it could be done." But it's simple and my "one hour" paid them to do the research, figure it out, etc. no doubt.
Just had my goofy dealer NOT research it but take a firm stance that it is a safety hazard and not possible to do. Lead mechanic, in his late 50s, hates the internet and had pretty much made up his mind when I drove in I think.

Do you know if Hennessey spoke with PCNA to get it approved?

Anyone else in the Bay Area had any luck, perhaps at Sonnen?

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to hear their illogical BS argument when no one has even called Porsche to ask!
Old 05-03-2016, 11:42 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Just had my goofy dealer NOT research it but take a firm stance that it is a safety hazard and not possible to do. Lead mechanic, in his late 50s, hates the internet and had pretty much made up his mind when I drove in I think.

Do you know if Hennessey spoke with PCNA to get it approved?

Anyone else in the Bay Area had any luck, perhaps at Sonnen?

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to hear their illogical BS argument when no one has even called Porsche to ask!
Chris, it's been nearly a year now so I'm not sure, but my memory is that they said they had to check on it, and I don't know where else they'd check than PCNA (also in ATL, so they know one another well.) I remember the SA having a good, helpful, "I'll bet this will work but let me check" attitude when I brought it up, so I bet you're right about your guy -- he drew his line in the sand and now doesn't want to be confused with the facts.

Fortunately, despite the safety hazard of having steering like I would have had if I'd not checked the PSP box in the first place, I've somehow avoided a fatal steering-related accident these 11 months. God is good...
Old 05-04-2016, 08:48 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My car has it and it's nice for parking./ Above 20mph it goes off. Anyone finding a difference past that speed it's only in their heads but no basis in reality.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
My car has it and it's nice for parking./ Above 20mph it goes off. Anyone finding a difference past that speed it's only in their heads but no basis in reality.
It's the equivalent of people who buy silver-plated power cords for their audio gear. No understanding of how PSP works (or power steering in general), but it isn't "pure" or "involving" so it has to go...
Old 05-04-2016, 10:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Yup. So much hand wringing over something so minor. PSP does absolutely nothing once speed gets above around 20mph, and by then it's not doing much anyway, as it progressively reduces the assist once you're over 10mph. The only point at which you really notice it is around 5-10 mph. I have both and I drive them back to back. One of these days I'm probably going to add it to the Carrera, but it's just such a minor thing that I'm not going to bring the car into the dealer just for that.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:06 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
It's the equivalent of people who buy silver-plated power cords for their audio gear. No understanding of how PSP works (or power steering in general), but it isn't "pure" or "involving" so it has to go...
I'm not sure how you equate it to power cords (I'm not an audiophile), but the statement that those of us who disliked PSP enough to pay to remove it have "no understanding of how it works" actually belies the fact that you've failed to read and comprehend the posts of those of us who find it dissatisfying, and why. That information is contained in the post I linked earlier should you care to gain such an understanding, in a spirit of both broadening your knowledge base and perhaps even finding some unifying ground with fellow 991 owners who think differently about their car's steering feel than you do. Couldn't hurt, anyway.

And for the record, I've never seen a single anti-PSPer who believes PSP affects anything above 20-30 mph. Yet that seems to be the rhetoric the PSP proponents have adopted -- if you dislike it you must not understand it.

I'm happy to stipulate that it is simply a matter of preference for how our cars feel at parking lot speeds, and that it is no more reasonable to like heavy (but still very manageable) steering at those speeds than it is to prefer light (but still nicely weighted) steering at those speeds. Not sure why people on the PSP side of the fence want to make it a personal matter.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:47 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Ah I see PSP is the new manual vs PDK or .1 vs .2. Just let me check my build sheet to see if I have it so people who don't like PSP are complete morons or if I don't so those who do are the idiots.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:33 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I do have it, so (for now) those who don't like it must be the idiots...
Old 05-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Ah I see PSP is the new manual vs PDK or .1 vs .2. Just let me check my build sheet to see if I have it so people who don't like PSP are complete morons or if I don't so those who do are the idiots.
George Carlin FTW.

I have both, so I call myself a dumba$$ all the time.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:44 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Give me break!!!

Quick Reply: 991 911 Power Steering Plus