Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:59 PM
NormanL
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 991 911 Power Steering Plus

Hi,
This is my first post. I just joined.

I ordered a new 911 Black Edition. I ordered the power steering plus, thinking it made the wheel stiffer and not easier. I owned a 1987 911 and enjoyed no power steering. So ,I thought the option made it stiffer.
I cannot change my order since production is completed.

Should I try to remove it at the dealer if they can or live with it. If I live with it, will I hate it?
Old 07-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,235 Likes on 747 Posts

Try it out and see if you like it. My understanding is that it is a software fix to remove if you do not like it.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default 991 911 Power Steering Plus

It supposed to work at slow speeds for ease of turning in parking lots, etc.. Useless in my opinion. Not looking for steering like a Buick.

Your luck, is that it's a software option. Those that don't have it can add it. Along with that, it can be DEACTIVATED. You're lucky. Not one of those more permanent options

Welcome by the way!! Keep us posted when your car arrives please.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

I have it on my Cayman S and don't on my Carrera S. I like it and originally thought I was gonna retrofit it to my Carrera, but after driving it a while, I'm not so sure. Need more seat time before I decide.

It's not that big of a difference with/without and you can always have the dealer shut it off if you don't like it. The only downside is some money wasted if you go that route rather than changing the build.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:10 AM
AlbertC4S
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NormanL
Hi,
This is my first post. I just joined.

I ordered a new 911 Black Edition. I ordered the power steering plus, thinking it made the wheel stiffer and not easier. I owned a 1987 911 and enjoyed no power steering. So ,I thought the option made it stiffer.
I cannot change my order since production is completed.

Should I try to remove it at the dealer if they can or live with it. If I live with it, will I hate it?
ABSOLUTELY! After getting out of a GT-R, and 2 M3's I was so frustrated with the lack of steering feedback from the PSP that I even considered treading my 13C4S. Luckily the option was just removed at my dealer at the same time I placed H&R springs. Got rid of any oversteer and the steering feedback now is ramarkably better and at least what you expect for such a sports car with that price. By the way I was very happy just spending a nice weekend at Blue Ridge Parkway testing the changes.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2015, 12:57 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by AlbertC4S
ABSOLUTELY! After getting out of a GT-R, and 2 M3's I was so frustrated with the lack of steering feedback from the PSP that I even considered treading my 13C4S.
You do know that PSP only affects steering at parking lot speeds, right?
Old 07-15-2015, 01:03 AM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drive it first before you do anything. I don't notice it except at very low speeds where I want it. It is invisible to me otherwise.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:07 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by 991TurboS
Drive it first before you do anything. I don't notice it except at very low speeds where I want it. It is invisible to me otherwise.
Exactly. I'd bet most prospective buyers wouldn't even be able to tell whether the car they test drive has it or not if the salesman didn't tell them.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:08 AM
AlbertC4S
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You do know that PSP only affects steering at parking lot speeds, right?
So they say! Why put any electronic assistance on the steering of a car that has the engine in the back? It numbs the steering regardless of what Porsche says.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:23 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Exactly. I'd bet most prospective buyers wouldn't even be able to tell whether the car they test drive has it or not if the salesman didn't tell them.
I'd take that bet.

NormanL, welcome! I had PSP removed (maybe a month ago) and I still get in the car, don't think about the steering at all, and then get struck with a great feeling of satisfaction when I start rolling and feel that proper resistance rather than the feeling that, historically, any car enthusiast would have called "overboosted." In other words, the difference is pronounced enough that I needn't be thinking about it to experience the improvement and appreciate it.

Some have gotten the dealer to do it for free; my service dept. quoted me one hour. I briefly considered pushing back because my SA had talked me into PSP, but decided that I was so happy to be able to reverse it for $130 that I'd save my bitching for something else in the future.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 AM
NormanL
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, everyone for your feedback.
I read PSP is used up to 30 miles per hour. Parking lot speed only would fine but up to 30 miles an hour does not appear to be what I want after driving a 1987 - 911.

I called the dealer yesterday and he was checking into if it can be removed. I thought that the dealer can?
Old 07-15-2015, 09:38 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Yes, I had it done at Hennessy Porsche last month. They had never done one either and had to "check into if it could be done." But it's simple and my "one hour" paid them to do the research, figure it out, etc. no doubt.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by AlbertC4S
So they say! Why put any electronic assistance on the steering of a car that has the engine in the back? It numbs the steering regardless of what Porsche says.
I have cars with and without and I've driven them back to back multiple times. It has absolutely no impact on 'steering feel' at anything but a parking lot speed, or turns so slow you're literally at a crawling pace. Other than that, you'd have no idea whether your car has it or not. It's there simply to make driving in tight, slow situations (aka, parking lots) slightly easier. Which is all it does. Having driven both cars a bit now, I can say it's actually less additional assist than I originally thought, and the difference really isn't as much as I thought. After driving my Carrera a bit without it, I'm now not sure I'm going to add it.

You do know that ALL the cars have power assisted steering right? Even those before it was electronic, right?
Old 07-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by NormanL
Thank you, everyone for your feedback.
I read PSP is used up to 30 miles per hour. Parking lot speed only would fine but up to 30 miles an hour does not appear to be what I want after driving a 1987 - 911.

I called the dealer yesterday and he was checking into if it can be removed. I thought that the dealer can?
It can be removed and it does not have any noticeable impact above 15-20 mph. It phases out and I can tell you at 20 mph the steering on my Cayman feels just as heavy as my non PSP Carrera.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:55 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I'd take that bet.

NormanL, welcome! I had PSP removed (maybe a month ago) and I still get in the car, don't think about the steering at all, and then get struck with a great feeling of satisfaction when I start rolling and feel that proper resistance rather than the feeling that, historically, any car enthusiast would have called "overboosted." In other words, the difference is pronounced enough that I needn't be thinking about it to experience the improvement and appreciate it.

Some have gotten the dealer to do it for free; my service dept. quoted me one hour. I briefly considered pushing back because my SA had talked me into PSP, but decided that I was so happy to be able to reverse it for $130 that I'd save my bitching for something else in the future.
I agree with you. Fortunately, my GTS did not have PSP, so I didn't have to disable it. But, I have driven 991 with it and hate it. Feels like a Buick or Lexus at slow speeds. I don't like that feel on my GTS at any speed.

Quick Reply: 991 911 Power Steering Plus