Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 10:23 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Depends on where you live I guess. Out here in California you rarely see a front plate on a Porsche and it does matter to buyers. I wouldn't even consider buying a car with a drilled bumper.
+1000
Old 12-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM911
I posted this previously on the 991 Turbo Section but maybe it will inspire you guys over here.

I live where not having a front plate is a moving violation with an escalating fine for repeat citations. However I dislike having a front plate on my 991TTS. So I asked my detail and electronics shop to make mine attach via magnets hidden behind the front bumper. Then I can drive with it on when I need to or bring it for a State vehicle inspection which requires both plates on the car.

When I want to remove it at an event, I just lift it off. The only way I can show it to you is on this video they made of of my ALP and STiR Plus custom install.

Look at 00:48 on this video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_t...N0E/view?pli=1
The front plate solution in the video is the best I have seen, if it works. Have you had any problem running the plate at speed and having it fall off or scratching the front bumper?

Looks like JK did a nice job on your car.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:44 PM
pcosta
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgflyfish
Have you "attached" your Skene ? Same boat here in Oregon--would love to hear how you solved this--
I did use my Skene, but not in the GTS. I used it in my Macan and I'm very happy with it. If I get any hassless with my GTS, I'll order another Skene, but so far I'm going without it.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
Have u blacked out the screws yet?
No not yet... the guys at Rho Plate are actually sending me a new version of the extender bracket with a slightly different design to test out. Should have it this week, will take new pics once it is mounted.

Originally Posted by MKW
off center toe hook mounts always look odd in photos ...because that is what the image is showing ...frozen for your gazing

in person, with the general gestault of the whole , beautiful sports car arrayed before you as you approach or walk around it , it is not that a big deal and actually announces that you are a fellow car nut
Agreed, I've actually gotten used to it and don't mind it so much anymore... I'd rather put up with the odd awkward look in photos than drilling my pristine front bumper.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:34 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
The front plate solution in the video is the best I have seen, if it works. Have you had any problem running the plate at speed and having it fall off or scratching the front bumper?

Looks like JK did a nice job on your car.
I haven't had any problems at all. No problem at speeds up to around 120 MPH is the fastest I have gone with it on. I was more concerned about the effects of the poor roads around Boston but that hasn't been an issue either. The vehicle inspection place thought it was a great solution when they saw me remove it post inspection. By the way, the entire front end is wrapped in Xpel Ultimate and the rear of the plate mount is covered with a flocking like the inside of the glove compartment. I am not worried about any except it coming off due to possibly hitting a pot hole in the road.

JK did an outstanding job and if you look closely they fabricated custom wind deflectors for the doors that look like Porsche factory made and work great.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Vise
Drifting

Saw this pic from a recent PCA event up here... looks like someone else came up with a creative solution to the front parking sensor situation. I'm not crazy about the plate being so far off to the side though.

Update from me, as mentioned Rho Plate has a new extender that drops the plate down and I think it looks way better than before. Lots of options to place the plate as well, I played with it further left/right but settled on having it centered on the tow hook. Still need to adjust it a bit but very happy with it currently.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 754 Posts

Vise - looks good - think your positioning is better than the PCA one. The only thing I would suggest is to blacken out the silver screws, maybe spray some plastidip on them. Nice job!
Old 12-18-2015, 02:56 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Thanks for the beta testing Vise, I will be getting this also. Picking up tomorrow!
Old 12-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
The only thing I would suggest is to blacken out the silver screws, maybe spray some plastidip on them. Nice job!
Yep I'm already on that, Wilson at Rho-Plate (who is awesome btw) is trying to see if he can source black anodized plate screws for me. I have black plastic screw covers that came with the plate frame but they don't work with the current screw heads... I will get this sorted out shortly though.

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
Thanks for the beta testing Vise, I will be getting this also. Picking up tomorrow!
Happy to help!
Old 12-18-2015, 04:36 PM
sapaman
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Yep I'm already on that, Wilson at Rho-Plate (who is awesome btw) is trying to see if he can source black anodized plate screws for me. I have black plastic screw covers that came with the plate frame but they don't work with the current screw heads... I will get this sorted out shortly though.

Happy to help!

Vise - I just purchased the Rho-Plate plus extender for my GTS with front parking sensors. The extender in your latest picture looks different than the one on the Rho Plate website. I have an extender which looks exactly like the one you posted earlier in this thread, but this latest picture seems like a narrower piece and also extends much lower. Did you adapt something on your own? Thx!

[edit: I just saw the post above that indicates this is a new extender being tested from Rho Plate. Contacting them now.]

Last edited by sapaman; 12-18-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:40 PM
gtSteve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vise
No not yet... the guys at Rho Plate are actually sending me a new version of the extender bracket with a slightly different design to test out. Should have it this week, will take new pics once it is mounted. Agreed, I've actually gotten used to it and don't mind it so much anymore... I'd rather put up with the odd awkward look in photos than drilling my pristine front bumper.
Based on the pics, the extender is just longer? Is it designed to provide more clearance for the parking sensors or some other function? I have 2016 GTS with parking sensors and need a solution. I was about to pull the trigger on the Rho Plate, but if a better solution is coming I would wait.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by gtSteve
Based on the pics, the extender is just longer? Is it designed to provide more clearance for the parking sensors or some other function? I have 2016 GTS with parking sensors and need a solution. I was about to pull the trigger on the Rho Plate, but if a better solution is coming I would wait.
It is a totally different design... instead of an extender plate with 3 visible screws it is a bar that allows you to drop the plate down and provides for more mounting options since it uses the swivel mount bracket attached to the plate itself.

Sort of hard to explain but aside from looking far better/cleaner I think it provides more options in terms of plate placement. Hope that helps.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:22 PM
gtSteve
Intermediate

Lots of details about no front plate in NJ. $100 fine for no plate, $500 fine for fictitious plate (decal likeness of officially issued plate). BIG Business for the state ~$10,000,000/year.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/...river_home_pop
Old 01-01-2016, 02:17 AM
Vise
Drifting

Another update from me... I got new plates today (finally) and took the opportunity to black out the license plate screws.

Unfortunately since the screw heads are rather large the screw covers I have do not fit. Tried to find a different screw option but no luck after checking Home Depot and a few other spots. I did however have a black paint marker sitting around so painted the heads black as pictured. Looks way better than before and I'm back to the uniform black theme...

Looking forward to a dry/clear day this weekend so I can take her out for a spin...
Old 01-01-2016, 02:28 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say don't put front licence plate...if they get you it's a $25 dollar ticket (at lest here in CA)

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?