Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Thanks, yeah after living with it for a few days I'm happy with how it turned out. I actually prefer that it does not block the turn signal unlike some other options out there.

In terms of removal, the plate removes from the tow hook bolt fairly easily... just one hex bolt in the middle removes the plate assembly. That would however leave the tow hook bolt in there requiring a 3/4" ratchet/wrench to remove. It is not a tool-less design like the Rennline mount unfortunately... but the plus side is it does not block the front parking sensor either. No best of both worlds available just yet it seems.

Come to think of it not sure the Rennline would spin off on a car with Sport Design/Aerokit lip... not positive but looking down it would appear any attempt to spin the plate off would hit the lip.
Thanks Vise. Tool-less install and removal is important to me. Mill Works has a quick release system that allows you to remove the plate first, which then allows you to remove the tow hook bolt -- all which can be done by hand. It, however, does cover up the sensor. Can't seem to have the best of both worlds.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Can't seem to have the best of both worlds.
Yep that is the issue... my preference in order is no drilling (obviously), does not block the front parking sensor, and then ease of removal. Mine won't come off that often (just at any car events or for taking pictures) and I'll likely keep the allen key and a wrench in the glove box. Shouldn't take more than a minute to remove/re-install.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:14 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM911
I posted this previously on the 991 Turbo Section but maybe it will inspire you guys over here. I live where not having a front plate is a moving violation with an escalating fine for repeat citations. However I dislike having a front plate on my 991TTS. So I asked my detail and electronics shop to make mine attach via magnets hidden behind the front bumper. Then I can drive with it on when I need to or bring it for a State vehicle inspection which requires both plates on the car. When I want to remove it at an event, I just lift it off. The only way I can show it to you is on this video they made of of my ALP and STiR Plus custom install. Look at 00:48 on this video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_t...N0E/view?pli=1
great radar install and best looking license plate holder I have seen. Do they sell the magnetic plated or does the solution require professional installation?

Oh and how is the radar detector system working? I have the same one and will be installing shortly.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:46 PM
MJM911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
great radar install and best looking license plate holder I have seen. Do they sell the magnetic plated or does the solution require professional installation?

This can be done without professional installation. The front bumper needs to be removed to add the rare earth magnets. (The bumper needs to be removed for the install of the Bell STiR Plus Radar system components anyway.) The front plate mount is the OEM one Porsche provides that normally gets screwed to the bumper. Rare earth magnets can be attached to the rear of the plate frame and then apply a protective coating to prevent any marks on the front bumper. The entire front end of my TTS is wrapped in Xpel Ultimate.

Oh and how is the radar detector system working? I have the same one and will be installing shortly.
The Bell STiR Plus is a great system with the GPS antenna it locks-out known locations that produce false alarms. A great feature. The AL Priority Antilaser System rocks. I have been shot three times (2 front hits and 1 rear hit) all blocked. Having the Android application control shows the type of Lidar gun you were hit with, your speed at the time of the hit and date and time. It also allows software upgrades over the air from the host cell phone. No USB stick downloads etc. Both are a designed for "stealth installation" for outside the vehicle and in the vehicle as much as possible. Couldn't be happier with both units, their performance and above all the custom install.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:02 PM
thedragonseven
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As one of the other members did, I bought a rho-plate with extension solution.

I live in Boston and I've had E46 and E92 M3's, as well as a F12 M6 - and have been pulled over for not having a plate.

So since then, I've always gone out of my way to get a front tow hook license plate solution - even on my R8 V10.

For my BMW's I used US Millworks, and for the R8 I used a Go-Mini-Go solution.

Yes, ruined the overall look every time - but better than getting a ticket.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:32 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes for sure... I hope it looks ok once mounted. I'm not 100% sold on the off-center mount but it will make it much easier to take off/put on.
off center toe hook mounts always look odd in photos ...because that is what the image is showing ...frozen for your gazing

in person, with the general gestault of the whole , beautiful sports car arrayed before you as you approach or walk around it , it is not that a big deal and actually announces that you are a fellow car nut

My advice : mount or keep one fully assembled and ready to go , in your frunk as needed , and never click any thread with " license plate mounting" from here on out ...and the sun will shine brighter from now on just for you !

Old 12-08-2015, 05:07 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Better pic of mine mounted... as mentioned it does not set off the front parking sensor which was my goal. Looks ok but will be better once I black out the screws.

And also get a new plate as mine is starting to bubble/peel...

Have u blacked out the screws yet?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:40 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcosta
Thanks Larry, I ordered a Skene license bracket, but even that will look awful. Don't know if there's an alternative. I'm thinking about getting a vinyl sign where it could be slimmer than a full license plate, maintaining the name of the State (CT) and the numbers/letters and maybe be able to cut down - maybe - two inches and attach to the bumper with a self adhesive tape. But it will be difficult to pull it off and still look good. What will you do?
Have you "attached" your Skene ? Same boat here in Oregon--would love to hear how you solved this--
Old 12-08-2015, 07:46 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Originally Posted by Visceral
I've gotten several "parking tickets" for no front plate ($80) here in Portland.

I've ordered the Dynamic Tech "Drop Mount" to use the tow point but drop the plate below the parking sensors. I'll let y'all know how it works. $72 delivered.

http://www.dynamtechgroup.com/porsch...ate-holder.php

If I read the OR statute correctly, it seems that the "issued plate" must be displayed on the front of the vehicle, so I can't do a vinyl replica over the Xpel like I would like to without some expectation that it won't be appreciated.
Pics of install? so you keep plate permanently mounted or just assembly-- I'm also in PDX and trying to figure out what if anything to do--with front plate predicament.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:49 PM
mgflyfish
Racer

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
Nice - please post some pics after you get it on.
Yes sir, please sir more pics--
Old 12-08-2015, 11:49 PM
nicoff
Racer

I still can't understand what's the big deal about drilling holes that noone can see. Those off center installs (hook mount, for example) look awful to me and probably most everyone else.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:20 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by nicoff
I still can't understand what's the big deal about drilling holes that noone can see. Those off center installs (hook mount, for example) look awful to me and probably most everyone else.
But if you choose to sell your car, many buyers do not want a bumper that has been drilled. Also, some people who do the hook mount want to be able to easily take off the plate from time to time and go clean up front.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:46 AM
nicoff
Racer

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But if you choose to sell your car, many buyers do not want a bumper that has been drilled. Also, some people who do the hook mount want to be able to easily take off the plate from time to time and go clean up front.
I have never had that experience. I have sold two p-cars before. Of all the calls that I received inquiring about the car, not a single person asked if the bumper had been drilled.
I once obsessed about drilling holes and chose to keep the front plate in the trunk. Eventually, I got tired of being stopped by cops and drilled two holes and was done with it. Never considered the tow-mount because always thought that the car looked ugly with the off-centered plate. Just my opinion. Ymmv.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:23 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 113 Posts

The skene mount is perfect nobody would ever care about the two screw holes since the are in a virtually "invisible" location. Looks perfect works great on my GTS, best of both worlds. The standard Porsche front plate mount is clunky and "stupid". One of the few poorly engineered components of an otherwise extremely well thought out machine.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by nicoff
I have never had that experience. I have sold two p-cars before. Of all the calls that I received inquiring about the car, not a single person asked if the bumper had been drilled.
Depends on where you live I guess. Out here in California you rarely see a front plate on a Porsche and it does matter to buyers. I wouldn't even consider buying a car with a drilled bumper.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?