Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015 | 07:35 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about the tickets but looks like you found one of the best solutions out there. Out of curiosity, did you get the tickets while parked or were you stopped by police for the missing plate?
Old 11-10-2015 | 08:29 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by eg991
Sorry to hear about the tickets but looks like you found one of the best solutions out there. Out of curiosity, did you get the tickets while parked or were you stopped by police for the missing plate?
Stopped all 3 times. In Ontario you can't get a front plate ticket (or more correctly 'fail to display two plates') if you're not in the car.
Old 11-12-2015 | 12:00 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Check with your DMV if you haven't. In my state 2 plates are required, but if you run special interest plate you only need one plate on the back. Maybe your state has something similar.

That is what I did and you can get it in vanity as well. It cost 50 per year. The only stipulation here is that it cant be used as a work car, and has to a collector or has to meet other easy criteria.

Maybe you have checked, but just in case!
This would be money - I run 9/11 memorial plates and plan to on the 911 as well.
Old 11-19-2015 | 03:26 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Vise
Got my third front plate ticket (since July) this morning and it looks like I need to do something about it... I went 6 months with the car before getting my first ticket and now it is all downhill. I'm not planning to drill so going to give one of the tow hook options a shot. Issues is I have the parking sensors so wanted something that I could mount low or to the left.

Ended up ordering the rho-plate this morning with the extender bracket below. Looks like it should give me enough flexibility to keep the plate out of the way of the sensor... looks ok too, not optimal of course but I'm committed to not drilling. Should be easy enough to take off/put on too, we'll see.

Vise - wondering if you have received and install this mount. Any pics?
Old 11-19-2015 | 04:20 PM
akbjr
Track Day

I did us millworks. Works awesome. No sensor alarm when the plate is off.

Name:  photo164.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  819.3 KBName:  photo122.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  864.7 KB
Old 11-22-2015 | 11:03 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Vise - wondering if you have received and install this mount. Any pics?
Been travelling this week so finally got time to get it mounted tonight. Still need to fine tune the location/placement, it was getting cold out so I didn't get it exactly where I wanted. Happy to say though that after some fiddling with location it does not set off the front parking sensor!

Here is one quick pic, will try and get some more in the daylight tomorrow. I think I'm going to hit the screws with some black paint and maybe get a rubber grommet for the center to make it disappear a bit more. So far so good.

Old 11-23-2015 | 06:44 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Porsche makes awesome cars, but they can't come up an elegant solution for this issue. NA is one of their biggest market and majority states force dual plates.
Old 11-24-2015 | 05:33 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Well, I got pulled over today at the entrance to the midtown tunnel for no front plate. The cop was very courteous and let me go with a warning when I presented a PBA card along with my license and registration. He did say that he would give me the balance of the week to get the front plate mounted, but that if he sees me next week without a front plate he'll start writing tickets, PBA card and all. The problem I have is that I take the midtown tunnel every day and I'm basically a sitting duck because there are always many cops stationed near the entrance to the tunnel, and there's always bumper to bumper traffic on the way in so the cops will have a pretty good view of the cars driving past. And the 911 isn't an inconspicuous car . . .
I am considering running a US Millworks tow hook mount as I do think it looks better than drilling the factory bracket into the bumper. I guess I would either push the button disabling the parking sensors or will ask the dealer techs if there is a way to disconnect the fuse to just the front sensors but leave the rear sensors operational. I never really understood the use for a front sensor anyway as sight lines out of the front of the car are excellent.
Old 11-24-2015 | 05:45 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

PBA?

DaveGee
Old 11-24-2015 | 05:59 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Patrolmen's Benevolent Association. You can get a card if you have a contact in the NYPD. If you get stopped and present a PBA card to the officer, you will "usually" get away with just a warning. Not foolproof but usually works.
Old 11-24-2015 | 10:58 PM
MJM911
Instructor

I posted this previously on the 991 Turbo Section but maybe it will inspire you guys over here.

I live where not having a front plate is a moving violation with an escalating fine for repeat citations. However I dislike having a front plate on my 991TTS. So I asked my detail and electronics shop to make mine attach via magnets hidden behind the front bumper. Then I can drive with it on when I need to or bring it for a State vehicle inspection which requires both plates on the car.

When I want to remove it at an event, I just lift it off. The only way I can show it to you is on this video they made of of my ALP and STiR Plus custom install.

Look at 00:48 on this video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_t...N0E/view?pli=1
Old 11-24-2015 | 11:38 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

If you must:

Last edited by 77tony; 11-24-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2015 | 01:34 PM
Vise
Drifting

Better pic of mine mounted... as mentioned it does not set off the front parking sensor which was my goal. Looks ok but will be better once I black out the screws.

And also get a new plate as mine is starting to bubble/peel...

Old 11-25-2015 | 02:19 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Looks good. Certainly a bonus if it does not block the sensor. Question - easy to take off and put on by hand, or do need tools. Optimal for me is to spin off and on by hand.
Old 11-25-2015 | 08:11 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Looks good. Certainly a bonus if it does not block the sensor. Question - easy to take off and put on by hand, or do need tools. Optimal for me is to spin off and on by hand.
Thanks, yeah after living with it for a few days I'm happy with how it turned out. I actually prefer that it does not block the turn signal unlike some other options out there.

In terms of removal, the plate removes from the tow hook bolt fairly easily... just one hex bolt in the middle removes the plate assembly. That would however leave the tow hook bolt in there requiring a 3/4" ratchet/wrench to remove. It is not a tool-less design like the Rennline mount unfortunately... but the plus side is it does not block the front parking sensor either. No best of both worlds available just yet it seems.

Come to think of it not sure the Rennline would spin off on a car with Sport Design/Aerokit lip... not positive but looking down it would appear any attempt to spin the plate off would hit the lip.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?