Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you take and park your 991 at the mall?
Yes
68.32%
No
31.68%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you park your 991 at malls?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:49 AM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I find myself worrying a bit more with my new 2015, just like I was when my 1974 was new. I still seek out an "end unit" with a planter on one side to crowd up against leaving the other side well away from the next space.
I recall years ago riding with my Navy Officer fraternity brother in his fairly new 1971 911T. We are approaching a nice open spot in front of the mall on the end by a planter . . . sporting new blue paint and he bitched "They gave all the good Porsche parking places to the handicapped."
Old 06-16-2015, 02:34 AM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
I find myself worrying a bit more with my new 2015, just like I was when my 1974 was new. I still seek out an "end unit" with a planter on one side to crowd up against leaving the other side well away from the next space.
I recall years ago riding with my Navy Officer fraternity brother in his fairly new 1971 911T. We are approaching a nice open spot in front of the mall on the end by a planter . . . sporting new blue paint and he bitched "They gave all the good Porsche parking places to the handicapped."
I use my "Handicap" placard and thus far, have been quite fortunate in finding vacant places even though I do get the occasional strange look from folks trying to figure out what my handicap is (gout)
Old 06-16-2015, 07:04 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Poll: Do you park your 991 at malls?

I do, but don't leave the car. Upside, I have an excuse not to tag along with wife on her hunting, oops shopping, expeditions. Downside, unsupervised wife shopping leads to Costco/grocery runs that would strain the cargo capacity of a Cayenne, never mind my 911! It's a car, enjoy it. I keep telling myself that, and one day I'll believe it, and stop worrying....T
Old 06-16-2015, 07:37 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it safer to park a PDK or 7MT at the mall?

If you're building a GTS for mall runs, is SPASM a good idea?

What color cab roof attracts the least attention at the mall?

Where does Chris Harris park when he goes to the mall?

Does a 5 minute stop at the mall require 3 hours of washing/detailing when you get home?

Are CL wheels better to discourage wheel theft at the mall?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:21 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92

Does a 5 minute stop at the mall require 3 hours of washing/detailing when you get home?

Didn't you sell you're 9914S for an Audi R8??

The guys on the R8 board not taking your sarcasm too well?? A stiff bunch over there?

Does your dealership have a 30 day return policy? Poor orphan car! Why??? : (

You barely have the car a chance. 7 months?

http://www.porscheofcoloradosprings....Used&year=ALL&
Old 06-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

meh.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:02 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Didn't you sell you're 9914S for an Audi R8??

The guys on the R8 board not taking your sarcasm too well?? A stiff bunch over there?

Does your dealership have a 30 day return policy? Poor orphan car! Why??? : (

You barely have the car a chance. 7 months?

http://www.porscheofcoloradosprings....Used&year=ALL&
What are you talking about? I never owned a 4S, I own a 2S and still own it. No R8 for me.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:27 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

What are you talking about? I never owned a 4S, I own a 2S and still own it. No R8 for me.
My error!! Wrong Todd! Sorry
Old 06-24-2015, 07:27 PM
redirect
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always sweat about door dings. To avoid it dings I park my car at the furthest spot in the lot where there are no cars around. Because people are lazy and park their cars as near as possible to the entrance. This way I avoid dings and do some cardio haha
Old 06-24-2015, 08:32 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've parked at the mall, grocery store, etc., but look for a spot out in BF Egypt.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:21 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I park half way to Egypt in the Porsche but I do try to find end spots. I drive it everywhere as my daily. I park my R8 out in full BFE a lot but 99% of the time indeed someone parks next to me. We had a long post over on the R8 forums about that. All of us have that empty lot pic with our R8 with a car next to it. Doesn't matter how far or where. So I just overall try to find big spaces and ideally the ones next to seldom used handicap spaces.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:45 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry but I have the best and worst of all worlds. I have had multiple back surgeries and cannot walk without a cane. I have had a handicap sticker for 20 years. I sold a MT 993 for a 2013 PDK but could not stand it. I just bought a 2015 MT 991 GTS and am trying to re-learn the MT. I park in the most remote areas of a mall with the handicap sticker. There is always someone parking close to me. Last month I parked in a handicap site at a restaurant. When I got out of the Porsche I got a big lecture from a woman who doubted my handicap despite the fact that I was barely walking with my cane. When people see a Porsche and a cane they think you are faking it. I do not respond since I am always confronted with a great deal of ignorance. I would gladly trade my Porsche and my sick back for their healthy back. I cannot walk 20 feet without a cane.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:39 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

If you park in BFE (and have to walk for miles as a result) and another car magically appears next to you isn't that person likely to be a car enthusiast?
Old 06-24-2015, 11:45 PM
rick85red911
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive it!
Old 06-25-2015, 12:14 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by redirect
I always sweat about door dings. To avoid it dings I park my car at the furthest spot in the lot where there are no cars around. Because people are lazy and park their cars as near as possible to the entrance. This way I avoid dings and do some cardio haha
In my area the width of parking spaces has increased substantially at malls, grocery stores, etc. in the past 10 - 15 years. So door dings aren't nearly as common as they were in the "ole" days. Nevertheless I must confess that I try to find a parking space in the area where there are fewer parked cars.

My wife on the other hand will always seek a parking space as close as possible to the entrance of where she shops. Moreover, the car she drives, an Audi S8 is not exactly an economy car. Concern about door dings may be more of a male trait, since I can't recall any of my female friends parking their luxury cars in remote parking spots to minimize the possibility of a door dings.

Quick Reply: Poll: Do you park your 991 at malls?