Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you take and park your 991 at the mall?
Yes
68.32%
No
31.68%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you park your 991 at malls?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015 | 02:37 PM
Sharm
Pro

Default Poll: Do you park your 991 at malls?

Ok, I know this question has been asked in various forms in the past, but I wanted to see in a quantifiable way how many people are truly willing to use their car as a "daily driver." IMO, there is no better way to test this assumption than to take your car to a mall and park it there while on a shopping trip or going to the movies.

Before you dismiss this poll as a "stupid" thread, I want to explain why I ask. Last night I headed to the movie theater to watch a flick with a friend who has had the misfortune of suffering my paranoia when it comes to my 991: he carefully opens the door, sits in the fine leather upholstry, and gingerly places hit feet in above the mat so as to not jettison loose specks of dirt from the soles of his shoes into the cabin, thereby inviting terrible vitriol from myself. In actuality this is just perceived hostility from me and I am not the prone to "babying" my 911. But he has noticed a trend. When I go to the mall, I almost never take my Porsche with me. Last night he made a comment which actually hit home when he noticed my Acura in the parking lot: "Dude, you just need to enjoy your car." I pondered it for a moment as I drove off for the night alone and realized that there is no reason I shouldn't be taking the 911 and that he was probably right. Yes, I run the risk of door dings and the like but in actuality this is not a frequent occurrence and even if it does happen, so what? **** happens, the car can easily be serviced and problem corrected, and why I am sacrificing potentially enjoying the car to the fullest for fear of minor happenstances.

So that's why I ask the question. I want to know how other Rennlisters think..

Old 06-14-2015 | 02:43 PM
zathras
Instructor

Those of us who have no other vehicle have no choice... But I will say this- on the weekends, when my wife & I are heading out shopping or dining or whatever, we can drive her lexus rx350, or the 911. Unless we are going to need the cargo room of the SUV, we take the p-car. In fact we're headed to Sams club this afternoon and we will take the Porsche...
Old 06-14-2015 | 02:43 PM
Sharm
Pro

I'll start, so I take it thats a yes Zathras !
Old 06-14-2015 | 02:46 PM
ent
Advanced

In the short time I've had my 991, I've taken it to Target, Best Buy, the mall, movie theater, Arizona Science Center, etc. I do try to park it in a spot where it will be less susceptible to dings but that's not always possible. I have a Cadillac CTS-V which I alternate driving (mainly based on weather or need for kid/cargo space) but the 911 is still going to serve as a DD for me.
Old 06-14-2015 | 02:46 PM
Leverageconsult
Advanced

Default I'm with you

I think I may be worse then you. If I don't find a good enough spot I will leave. These cars are expensive and no matter how rich someone is its hilarious when someone else who does not own an exotic act like its nothing to park anywhere. We are car enthusiasts. If not then we would all drive hyundais.
Old 06-14-2015 | 02:47 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

I don't, but I also avoid the mall like the plague (rarely go anyway). IF I go I take the Jeep, I don't care if somebody opens their door on it, and car is basically invisible, no haters to deal with.
Old 06-14-2015 | 02:54 PM
Squires9914s
Rennlist Member

Do not park your 991 at any unattention parking lots
Old 06-14-2015 | 03:06 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Yes but I park at far end away from other cars.
Old 06-14-2015 | 03:49 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Originally Posted by Grunty
Yes but I park at far end away from other cars.
+1 Haters are going to hate, but parking waaaay out and walking usually only attracts admirers since I believe most who are dissatisfied with their lives are too lazy to walk and will leave the car alone. If they had the energy to put in the effort they'd be further along in their lives and would appreciate the level of work that went into owning such a vehicle.
Old 06-14-2015 | 03:52 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

I have a second car as my DD but still take the 991 out, I just park out in left field!
Old 06-14-2015 | 04:12 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Depends on the mall and the parking situation. As another poster said, I have just left if I couldn't find a parking spot I was comfortable with. If I do go to mall and park, I limit the length of time of my stay to no more then an hour. I have another vehicle I can drive if I/we just have to go to the mall.
Old 06-14-2015 | 04:46 PM
Galion
Pro

I found that the best way to avoid scratches is not to worry about it. If I stress and park miles away, drive for hours looking for a wide spot, do the afterwards scratch/ding check, etc, I will not only end with my car festooned with horrific dings, but I'll be a nervous wreck.
Life is too short, I drive and enjoy my 911 whenever and wherever I can.

Last edited by Galion; 06-14-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2015 | 05:22 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by zathras
Those of us who have no other vehicle have no choice... But I will say this- on the weekends, when my wife & I are heading out shopping or dining or whatever, we can drive her lexus rx350, or the 911. Unless we are going to need the cargo room of the SUV, we take the p-car. In fact we're headed to Sams club this afternoon and we will take the Porsche...
+1000

My situation exactly. My 911 DD. Her RX350. When together, we almost always drive the 911.
Old 06-14-2015 | 05:51 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Yes. Mine is a DD, even in bad weather. The only place that I'll take twice to take her is either I knew the road condition is bad (potholes, bumpy, etc.), or a not so good area that will get me the wrong kind of attention. But I do try to find the "safest" spot to park, not tight spot.

At the end, it's just a car and I'll take every opportunity to enjoy it.
Old 06-14-2015 | 05:58 PM
LexVan
Banned

Only when it's raining.

Quick Reply: Poll: Do you park your 991 at malls?