Sponsored by:

Current 2010 M3 owner in the dreaming/planning stage

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:11 PM
freeman727
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

The trick is letting my wife keep both. It would be great to have tweener car to slot between the Touareg and 911. 😜😜

Originally Posted by snowcar_C4S
I was in your position last September. I ended up trading my 2013 535iX Diesel on a 2104 C4S Loaded, but no Burmeister or Ceramics. The 535 is a large sedan, and I simply had no use for it anymore, so decided to keep my 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe. So now I have 2 white 2 door coupes - genius, but love both of them. The M3, IMHO, is a knife, but not just any knife, it remains a vey sharp purpose built knife - if you have ever used a Messermeister knife in your kitchen, you'll probably know what I am talking about. There really is no point in comparing these cars to each other, they are in the top of their class in their respective sectors, but completely different from one another.

I have read the threads on C2s vs. C4S on this forum, and the debate continues unabated. I could tell you that because I live at 7 600 feet and experience snow and ice for close to six months of the year that I opted for the C4S. Well I would be lying, because my C4S is garaged for the winter, for me the choice was simple, those hips. I was married to a skinny ballet dancer for over two decades, no hips or bottom, totally miserable.....now I am very fortunate to have someone with extraordinary hips and bottom, much like my C4S, the C2S is lovely but has a rear like Taylor Swift, whereas the C4S is Beyonce all the way.

Now I am sure that you have perhaps heard of a prenup, the CPO is your Porsche prenup and, IMHO, when buying used, is crucial, the Dealer will charge you $2k+ for it, but it's worth the cost to me when amortized over the 6 year CPO period.

So when do I need 4 wheel drive? Probably never, so I decided to test the beast. I drove up a dirt road mountain pass yesterday, the most atrocious conditions, sometimes I was crawling at < 5 mph at > 9 000 feet according to my trusty Suunto watch. I had the Torque screen on and my front wheels never had less than 30% of the power, so it seems that this all wheel drive is a useful option after all. (I apologize to all those offended by my driving this vehicle on a dirt road, I know that many here have suffered severe psychological trauma when incurring that first spoiler scrape on the speed bumps at the Whole Foods store parking lot).

In closing, would I have the ***** to say that I would actually know the difference on the track between the C2S and the C4S? No, I think not, I do not race for a living, yet I am able to enjoy this car immensely, as do I enjoy the M3, to this day. I have attached a photograph of my adventure yesterday!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:51 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snowcar_C4S
I was in your position last September. I ended up trading my 2013 535iX Diesel on a 2104 C4S Loaded, but no Burmeister or Ceramics. The 535 is a large sedan, and I simply had no use for it anymore, so decided to keep my 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe. So now I have 2 white 2 door coupes - genius, but love both of them. The M3, IMHO, is a knife, but not just any knife, it remains a vey sharp purpose built knife - if you have ever used a Messermeister knife in your kitchen, you'll probably know what I am talking about. There really is no point in comparing these cars to each other, they are in the top of their class in their respective sectors, but completely different from one another.

I have read the threads on C2s vs. C4S on this forum, and the debate continues unabated. I could tell you that because I live at 7 600 feet and experience snow and ice for close to six months of the year that I opted for the C4S. Well I would be lying, because my C4S is garaged for the winter, for me the choice was simple, those hips. I was married to a skinny ballet dancer for over two decades, no hips or bottom, totally miserable.....now I am very fortunate to have someone with extraordinary hips and bottom, much like my C4S, the C2S is lovely but has a rear like Taylor Swift, whereas the C4S is Beyonce all the way.

Now I am sure that you have perhaps heard of a prenup, the CPO is your Porsche prenup and, IMHO, when buying used, is crucial, the Dealer will charge you $2k+ for it, but it's worth the cost to me when amortized over the 6 year CPO period.

So when do I need 4 wheel drive? Probably never, so I decided to test the beast. I drove up a dirt road mountain pass yesterday, the most atrocious conditions, sometimes I was crawling at < 5 mph at > 9 000 feet according to my trusty Suunto watch. I had the Torque screen on and my front wheels never had less than 30% of the power, so it seems that this all wheel drive is a useful option after all. (I apologize to all those offended by my driving this vehicle on a dirt road, I know that many here have suffered severe psychological trauma when incurring that first spoiler scrape on the speed bumps at the Whole Foods store parking lot).

In closing, would I have the ***** to say that I would actually know the difference on the track between the C2S and the C4S? No, I think not, I do not race for a living, yet I am able to enjoy this car immensely, as do I enjoy the M3, to this day. I have attached a photograph of my adventure yesterday!
Post of the day for me here as it made me smile ^^^^. At least you do not have THREE basically white coupes/sports cars. And the other two are also two door. And ummmm I did the same on the wife (body style) switch out. Having owned a pile of Audi's I get what the 4 wheel drive does certainly though did go 2S mainly to keep costs down on the used daily driver I was after and less severe weather in Florida though I know how much it helps in the wet with the 4WD. The dirt roads look like fun.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:06 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman727
btw, 991 turbo prices are dropping quickly now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=231567610448
This appears to be a low optioned base Turbo and it's MSRP would have been around $153K, give/take. No sports chrono, no PDCC, no ceramic brakes, etc. It's now basically 2 years old and they are asking $143K. Wouldn't consider that a situation of prices dropping quickly. I've seen much higher percentage drops in prices on the 2014's Carrera's than this turbo.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:23 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Same boat. Traded-in my 2013 E92 M3 and still waiting for my 2016 GTS. Scheduled delivery on the first week of September 2015.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:24 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't spark the lease vs buy debate but Porsche has "excellent" short term leases. Excellent in this case does not mean anything like BMW but very good for a custom six figure car build. 30 months @ 70% residual w/ a roughly 4.8% rate means $120k+ car for about the same monthly payment as a loan on a used $90k car.

Lots of emotion on this topic here, so not arguing one over the other... Just over simplifying: if you are a monthly cash flow guy, family budget wise, you could build & lease your perfect Porsche for about the same price as owning someone else's used dream (again... Speaking out of pocket monthly cost).
Old 06-04-2015, 01:39 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I also have an E92 M3 and I'm considering a 991 GTS. Seems like such a great car. It will force me to buy a second car however as i have 2 small children. This is the dilemma i'm struggling with as the M3 is a great all around car.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Michael15
Instructor

I would also think the Burmiester audio upgrade depreciates fairly quickly and near 100%? Its not cheap...
Old 06-04-2015, 01:56 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Current 2010 M3 owner in the dreaming/planning stage

Originally Posted by Michael15
I would also think the Burmiester audio upgrade depreciates fairly quickly and near 100%? Its not cheap...
It will make a car sell quicker. Come resale, yeah worth another couple grand maybe.

Having the "base" stereo is very hard on resale. You need to at least have the Bose at a minimum.

There are some bad choices in lack of options and color combinations that make resale very difficult sometimes.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:37 PM
mld3021
3rd Gear

I may have a unique perspective on this. I had a 2012 M3 and loved it. I had a 2015 M4 and loved it. But it was totaled, couldn't find another M4 optioned as I wanted, so I bought a 2013 C2S. Keep in mind, I loved the M cars--they are fabulous machines.
But the Porsche is so much better. I'm not going to get into "knife vs. scalpel" analysis, I will just say it is a far better sports car, in every way. It's prettier, it's sexier, it sounds far better, it's faster, it handles much better, it gets far more attention, build quality (fit and finish) is better. The only advantage of the M4 was storage--I could get golf clubs in it. And it was less expensive. The 991 C2S is really special.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:32 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mld3021
I may have a unique perspective on this. I had a 2012 M3 and loved it. I had a 2015 M4 and loved it. But it was totaled, couldn't find another M4 optioned as I wanted, so I bought a 2013 C2S. Keep in mind, I loved the M cars--they are fabulous machines.
But the Porsche is so much better. I'm not going to get into "knife vs. scalpel" analysis, I will just say it is a far better sports car, in every way. It's prettier, it's sexier, it sounds far better, it's faster, it handles much better, it gets far more attention, build quality (fit and finish) is better. The only advantage of the M4 was storage--I could get golf clubs in it. And it was less expensive. The 991 C2S is really special.
+1. Never drove the M4, but had an E9X M3, and I agree with you 100% . . . the 991 C2S is better in every respect. I'd say better by a large margin.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:55 AM
jss1
Track Day

+2. 911 is a definitive improvement vs the M.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Gear Rower
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

I've just made the jump into a 991 C4 from an E90 M3 -- I was having some serious doubts on my way to pick up the 911 as I just adore the M3, but after a week with the new C4 I can reassure you that I have no regrets.

This is my first Porsche and I am very impressed -- Just about very aspect of the car is an improvement, especially the manual gearbox which is the absolute best I've ever had the pleasure of using. Practicality is a bit less, but the driving experience more than makes up for it.

You won't be disappointed with the move to a 911.
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Gear Rower
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
+1. Never drove the M4, but had an E9X M3, and I agree with you 100% . . . the 991 C2S is better in every respect. I'd say better by a large margin.
Remember that the base 991 carrera out performed the new M4 in the Evo test at Anglesey. A 1.4 sec difference on that track is massive. This is with a 75hp deficit, too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=scXXhmknySA
Old 06-05-2015, 09:35 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

There is an implied consensus in the Bimmer forum that getting a 911 is an upgrade from an M3.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:44 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 203 Posts

In 2006, I made the step up from a BMW M3 to my first 911. After a nanosecond, I completely forgot about the BMW. The 911 is a much more agile machine that is the true definitition of The Ultimate Driving Machine...

Quick Reply: Current 2010 M3 owner in the dreaming/planning stage