Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current 2010 M3 owner in the dreaming/planning stage

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:15 PM
freeman727
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

btw, 991 turbo prices are dropping quickly now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=231567610448
Old 06-02-2015, 12:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Current 2010 M3 owner in the dreaming/planning stage

Originally Posted by freeman727
btw, 991 turbo prices are dropping quickly now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=231567610448
You're seeing discounts on brand-new turbos in the show room. The depreciation on those tank like the Titanic.

For that money I'd rather have a GT3 or GT3RS.

Over 200K for a Turbo S? Yikes.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by freeman727
http://www.bmwofalexandria.com/detai...&specialFlag=1

I'm a sucker for 911 in silver. it is very classic

Nice car there!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:59 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

I have owned a 10 E93 M3 and a 14 991 C2S. I currently own a 15 F80 M3 and a 15 991 GTS Cab.

There is absolutely no comparison between any M3 variation and the 991. They are completely different in how they handle and feel. The 991 is far superior to any M3 (including F80) in all aspects other than VALUE. My F80 was 70k and my GTS Cab was 144k. Is the GTS really worth double the price of the F80? Maybe but that's debatable.

Drive a 991 and you will see there is no comparison.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:29 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Nice car there!
lol on your post a little while ago on work calls...not for long! I think you and I have similar jobs at the moment hence my regular posting. I need to be more busy on my end so I stop looking at parts/wheels for my car that I was not planning on doing anything to.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by mmaturo
lol on your post a little while ago on work calls...not for long! I think you and I have similar jobs at the moment hence my regular posting. I need to be more busy on my end so I stop looking at parts/wheels for my car that I was not planning on doing anything to.

I once thought I'd do nothing with my new preowned car too. How wrong I was!! The forums corrupted me!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...s-project.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8674...s-journal.html

Back to work now!!
Old 06-02-2015, 03:01 PM
leveragedsellout
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I found dealers for CPO cars to be pretty firm. Had a fixed amount of give (~2.5% on low 80's car in my case) and then would tell you they were happy to wait. I know another poster here had the same experience with the same dealer (a premier, high volume dealer in TX). Have heard there can be a lot more flex in the north given seasonal demand.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:03 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by STG991
I once thought I'd do nothing with my new preowned car too. How wrong I was!! The forums corrupted me!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...s-project.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8674...s-journal.html

Back to work now!!
Absolutely awesome! Nice job (and wow). Glad my car has part of the content already for the interior and black trim at least... I really want the duck tail badly (really badly) but waiting till somehow the world agrees you can put it on with the regular front bumper and if nothing else the sport lip I put on last night. I don't want to jump full front bumper too. Just spent last night staring at the *** of my car to possibly do the GTS black rear grill at the engine cover rather than the body color bars/gills the S has so I get a nice tie in with my black/glass roof and trim on my white Carerra S. But if I do the tail one day that would need to be redone. Then the fuchs/sport design 19" wheels I keep posting about. Trying to take it a bit more classic than towards the sport end of things, but I like the interplay of the black vs light color contrast too. Hence my Suzuka(essentially white) R8 sitting next to this thing with all its black accents.

Back to work too.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:03 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by leveragedsellout
I found dealers for CPO cars to be pretty firm. Had a fixed amount of give (~2.5% on low 80's car in my case) and then would tell you they were happy to wait. I know another poster here had the same experience with the same dealer (a premier, high volume dealer in TX). Have heard there can be a lot more flex in the north given seasonal demand.
Very true. Most of the time they do price them pretty aggressively. If they sit more than 2-3 months, you'll see a price drop.

I really don't see that many dealer preowned cars that overpriced. Mostly with independent dealers.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:08 PM
STG
Race Director

After looking at used cars for so long, it still shocks me the first one or two year depreciation on the 911. It's crazy.

Losing $30,000 after the first year or two is hard to swallow. And that's assuming you don't go over 10,000 miles!
Old 06-02-2015, 03:15 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Florida seems to have the issue north to south... there is a 5 to 10K difference on very similar cars across the state. The Porsche dealers across the middle of the state...Tampa, Orlando, Melbourne seem to have relatively aggressive pricing to move the cars by volume and they do... all of the cars I looked at moved on pretty quick as the prices were on the low(er) end. Part of that reason lies with the overall ownership of the Porsche dealerships themselves...such as Autonation here in Orlando...they go by volume. But Champion and a few others in south Florida will sit and wait and leave the prices higher (a simple check of the carfax on the listings confirms when dealers took them in on trade and got them in stock). I have the feeling the buyers down that way in luxury sport cars are more impulsive than at least this guy anyway. It took me three weeks to do my impulse buy.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:21 PM
freeman727
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I were instantly made partner right now, then I'd get this: https://harris.porschedealer.com/pre...51534/info.php

Cloth seats are cool but probable hard to keep clean down the road.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:14 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 50th is awesome . . . the interior is leather by the way, it doesn't seem to have the pepita fabric. Plus, you'd get the powerkit (430HP).
Old 06-02-2015, 06:20 PM
jss1
Track Day

I went from a 2013 fully loaded M3 to a 2013 C2S Cab. My M3 was a coupe, but I wanted to get back into a convertible (had Infiniti G37 years ago and I liked the open top feel. Personal thing) Furthermore, I wanted a 911. I found one at my local dealer that had CPO and the color combination/options I wanted. Couldn't pass it up. I got the dealer to come down some, but not much as I would have expected.
Don't hesitate if the finances work out. The Porsche is dramatically better than a M, and the M is a great car. The 911 has better acceleration, better balance, and a much more rewarding car to drive.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:25 PM
snowcar_C4S
Advanced

I was in your position last September. I ended up trading my 2013 535iX Diesel on a 2104 C4S Loaded, but no Burmeister or Ceramics. The 535 is a large sedan, and I simply had no use for it anymore, so decided to keep my 2011 M3 ZCP Coupe. So now I have 2 white 2 door coupes - genius, but love both of them. The M3, IMHO, is a knife, but not just any knife, it remains a vey sharp purpose built knife - if you have ever used a Messermeister knife in your kitchen, you'll probably know what I am talking about. There really is no point in comparing these cars to each other, they are in the top of their class in their respective sectors, but completely different from one another.

I have read the threads on C2s vs. C4S on this forum, and the debate continues unabated. I could tell you that because I live at 7 600 feet and experience snow and ice for close to six months of the year that I opted for the C4S. Well I would be lying, because my C4S is garaged for the winter, for me the choice was simple, those hips. I was married to a skinny ballet dancer for over two decades, no hips or bottom, totally miserable.....now I am very fortunate to have someone with extraordinary hips and bottom, much like my C4S, the C2S is lovely but has a rear like Taylor Swift, whereas the C4S is Beyonce all the way.

Now I am sure that you have perhaps heard of a prenup, the CPO is your Porsche prenup and, IMHO, when buying used, is crucial, the Dealer will charge you $2k+ for it, but it's worth the cost to me when amortized over the 6 year CPO period.

So when do I need 4 wheel drive? Probably never, so I decided to test the beast. I drove up a dirt road mountain pass yesterday, the most atrocious conditions, sometimes I was crawling at < 5 mph at > 9 000 feet according to my trusty Suunto watch. I had the Torque screen on and my front wheels never had less than 30% of the power, so it seems that this all wheel drive is a useful option after all. (I apologize to all those offended by my driving this vehicle on a dirt road, I know that many here have suffered severe psychological trauma when incurring that first spoiler scrape on the speed bumps at the Whole Foods store parking lot).

In closing, would I have the ***** to say that I would actually know the difference on the track between the C2S and the C4S? No, I think not, I do not race for a living, yet I am able to enjoy this car immensely, as do I enjoy the M3, to this day. I have attached a photograph of my adventure yesterday!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Current 2010 M3 owner in the dreaming/planning stage