Sponsored by:

1st big road trip in the 991!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:47 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1st big road trip in the 991!!!

The wifey and I headed out this morning for a week long +, 3,000 mile road trip! We are headed up to the North Carolina mountains to partake in the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit 2015. ( http://www.brbs.org/ ) It's about a 900 mile trip up, then another 900 home, and we figure we will be driving the entire week along the Blue Ridge Parkway and areas for another 1,000 miles or so!

We are very excited! I will update this thread with some pictures and additional info as to what we have been doing on this epic adventure of ours!

So far the trip has been good, the coolant fault warning not withstanding-started another thread on that, and I have been really enjoying driving this scalpel of a driving machine! It's nice to have an adequately powered, lightweight vehicle to drive that has no problem zipping along and passes when necessary...effortlessly! LOVING IT!

Oh, yeah, I got 28.05MPG on the first leg of the trip. Mostly interstate running around 80-82 MPH. These things are awesome! And incredible MPG too!!!

In Savanah, GA for the night and we head out tomorrow morning to get to the cabin in NC.

See ya!
Old 05-23-2015, 11:09 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Have fun. I love Savannah.

Savannah trivia:

What is the moss hanging in the live oak trees most closely related to?

Pineapple.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:03 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Have fun!! Drive safe.

Keep us posted.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Join us if you can! A great event every year.

Hurricane Region Charity Concours
The Hurricane Region annual Charity Concours will be held on Saturday, May 30th at Brier Creek Commons with all proceeds going to Duke Children's Hospital. This a "show and shine" event, with people's choice awards presented. Cars can begin to arrive at 8:00 am, and voting will run from 9:00 am to 11:00 am. Prizes and award will be presented and the event will wrap up around noon.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:11 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

We left Savanah around 0820 this morning. Light traffic, great weather. Got up to the cabin around 230 or so this afternoon. BEAUTIFUL day...sunny, breezy, no humidity and about 77 degrees. Perfect!

We had such a blast on some of the roads coming up here...the wifey usually gets car sick, however, she did not in the 911...she was hooting and having a blast along with me! The FVD exhaust was sounding bad @ss bouncing off of the mountains on these roads! Yeah!

More updates to come...

Homeles, Thanks for the invite! We are about 4 hours away from you amigo!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:33 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you take some pictures of your trip. Cant wait to hear more details of your journey. Enjoy and be safe.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

^^^Thank you! I will do...I will post them as I can!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Some pics from today after we arrived at the cabin.

And the neighborhood had some nice flags and things out in some of the garden areas for Memorial Day! Very nice!

Old 05-24-2015, 11:33 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

Sounds like a bunch of fun. Glad to hear that you're enjoying your car. Enjoy the drive; you're in a spectacular part of the county!
Old 05-25-2015, 09:14 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

Bigal
Looks like a beautiful place and a great ride. Enjoy it, hope the car runs like a dream and you have a great time.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:56 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Another fantastic day today!!! Weather was awesome, so we got up and got onto the Blue Ridge Parkway and headed up to the top of Mt. Mitchell! Made a few new friends while at the top...a super sweet 1965 911 and a 1957 356 showed up too!

Headed up to the summit and looked around, checked out the views and then back to the Parkway to a town called Spruce Pine for some lunch! Topped off with fuel and cruised the parkway a little more. Back to the cabin for some dinner and a little after-dinner walk, back home, a nice cocktail on the deck...and that's a wrap for today!

Will post up more later on!

Entrance to the park:

Highest peak east of the Mississippi:

Some views from the top:

On the way back down:

One of my favorite shots!

Spruce Pine lunchtime! Hef's is a great place to grab a bite!

Downtown Spruce Pine by the RR tracks

Hope everyone is enjoying this!!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:25 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Very nice to see that you guys are properly enjoying your 911 and making new friends with her distant relatives!

Thanks for sharing and safe travels...
Old 05-26-2015, 05:30 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Thanks!!!

Today's update 5/26/2015

I've never driven this car so hard before...Florida is too flat! It is such a capable machine. I am only 'nervous' when I think I am going into a turn too hot...for a split second, then the car is like, "yeah, I got this!". So great to be able to do that. So much FUN!

Didn't do much today, had plumbing issue and was waiting on the plumber for longer than I anticipated. I enjoyed it though! Sat out on the deck, had a snack and read some car mags! Gonna grill up some dinner here in an hour or so and then retire to the fire pit for a while and then watch some TV...and then see what tomorrow has in store!

Later all!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Default 3/27/15 update!

5/27/15 update:

Woke up to another beautiful day!!! It rained last night, and we are expecting a bunch more that is supposed to come through, however, it has held off again!

Took a nice drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway to a little town called Little Switzerland. Very cool place. It has an Inn, restaurant, shops, etc there. Up on top of a nice mountain with some great views off the back deck. It was a bit cloudy today, so the views weren't as good as they usually are! Blasted through a few tunnels and listened to that flat 6 wail!!! I shot a few vids, but there is too much wind noise, I will redo them again if I can, before we leave.

A funny story: Right before this trip, I lowered the 911. I installed H&R Sport springs which lowers the front 1.2" and the rear 1". I really think it 'needed' to be lowered...it had quite a wheel gap from the factory. IMO it looks soooooooooo much better dropped down!

Well anyway, fast forward to our arrival at the cabin...I couldn't get the b!tch into the garage! The grade was too steep, a little bit of a drop off and a lip of concrete for the garage floor pad. Well did I hear it! "If you didn't ruin it, we would have been able to make into the garage no problem!". A little back story: she had 'forbidden' me to do anything to this car. I always 'ruin' all of the cars I have by doing things to them! LOL. I just can't help myself! I have to put my stamp on them somehow! I got the FVD exhaust by her...this one, I just couldn't! HAHA.

So.....I had an engineering project on my hands...I had to build a bridge so I could get the car inside! I didn't want it living outside with all the pollen, sap, etc up here!

My finished 'bridge', does what it needs to, project! LOL!!!!

Old 05-29-2015, 12:30 AM
Bigalfromfl
Rennlist Member

Default 5/28/15 update!

5/28/2015 update!!!

Had some friends drive their 991 Cabriolet up to spend some time with us. It was great to have them...good times and some good friends!

Went up to the top of Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi. Then took a drive down the Blue Ridge Parkway to a little town called Spruce Pine for some lunch at a great place called The Knife & Fork. GREAT food! Farm to table. Super fresh and delicious! Headed back to the cabin for a quick wash up of the cars, chilled a bit, then we went into Little Switzerland, at the Little Switzerland Inn for dinner! Just got back and got rained on a little. Got the cars, with the help of my superb engineering skills, LOL, into the garage. Will have to waterless wash them in the morning.

Doing a Porsche cruise tomorrow to some local vineyards...will update!

Pics:

Top of Mt. Mitchell parking area...

All washed up!

Quick Reply: 1st big road trip in the 991!!!