Sponsored by:

911 black edition arbitrage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:24 PM
bichito
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 black edition arbitrage?

Just realized I can build a black edition 911 C2 cab with same options as regular base option C2 cab for ~4-6k less? You actually get better choices for options a la cart (e.g. Entry and drive) as well... What am I missing here? The way I am building my car, I am basically paying 4k for Agate Gray. Why would Porsche do this?
Old 05-23-2015, 03:59 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

I'm going through the same exercise. I'm paying $6K more for Rhodium Silver. Doesn't make sense. I just don't know if can live with black? I've got a call into my SM
Old 05-23-2015, 06:30 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would Porsche do this? Because they are great at marketing and packaging. Ever seen their magazine or their marketing tools? Very, very slick and they totally play into the minds of middle aged makes who make more than $100k a year.

I bet if they spent less on marketing, they could lower the price of their cars.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:26 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Would the difference be compensated by the discount applied? Like in 2-3% discount on a black edition and 7-8% discount on the rest? Just a guess ...
Old 05-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Koriel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you can pick what you want.

My local dealer says they received two allocations for the Black Edition: a boxter and a 911 C4. He said the options for their allocated cars were all predetermined by the manufacturer. Basically to get a Black Edition, I had to order it "as is", even though the car isn't built yet and won't arrive until late August or early September.

The boxter was already sold and only the 911 C4 was available which is fortunately what I wanted. Even though it didn't have exactly the options i wanted, it was close enough so I went ahead and ordered the C4. I thought it was a bargain as the standard Black Edition package comes with $8000 in savings over ordering the options a la carte.

The pre-chosen options mine comes with, in additon the standard BE package, are:
PDK
Sport Chrono package
Multifunction steering wheel with heating
Seat ventilation
Porsche Entry & Drive
Glass sunroof
Wheels painted in black i.c.w. 911 Turbo wheels
Power steering plus
Smoking package & passenger footwell luggage net

BTW, it's considered a 2016 model year.

I'm very excited as this will be my first Porsche. It's gonna be a long wait until it arrives.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:47 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
I'm going through the same exercise. I'm paying $6K more for Rhodium Silver. Doesn't make sense. I just don't know if can live with black? I've got a call into my SM
Black edition does not have to be black, does it?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:52 AM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 237 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by drmatara
Black edition does not have to be black, does it?
Unfortunately yes. There are two color options ... black and jet black
Old 05-29-2015, 09:32 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Koriel
I don't think you can pick what you want.

My local dealer says they received two allocations for the Black Edition: a boxter and a 911 C4. He said the options for their allocated cars were all predetermined by the manufacturer. Basically to get a Black Edition, I had to order it "as is", even though the car isn't built yet and won't arrive until late August or early September.

The boxter was already sold and only the 911 C4 was available which is fortunately what I wanted. Even though it didn't have exactly the options i wanted, it was close enough so I went ahead and ordered the C4. I thought it was a bargain as the standard Black Edition package comes with $8000 in savings over ordering the options a la carte.

The pre-chosen options mine comes with, in additon the standard BE package, are:
PDK
Sport Chrono package
Multifunction steering wheel with heating
Seat ventilation
Porsche Entry & Drive
Glass sunroof
Wheels painted in black i.c.w. 911 Turbo wheels
Power steering plus
Smoking package & passenger footwell luggage net

BTW, it's considered a 2016 model year.

I'm very excited as this will be my first Porsche. It's gonna be a long wait until it arrives.
I take it the boxter was a non-S.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:06 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

It is the same WITH the GTS. A similar optioned 991S is more expensive than a GTS. The saving is more if you will just get a GTS. The irony of you save when you spend more.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

They have done this before. I saw some BE 911s (perhaps before I focused in on 991s) when I was looking for a car. I believe this is their way of offering a significant discount to get rid of cars before a model changeover and have long, standard production lines rather than individual made to order runs.

Think of it like getting a lower priced meal combo that includes a burger, medium fries, a medium drink and a chocolate chip cookie, which works out great unless you want large fries or a shake instead.

My first 911 was black and I will never do that again. Not enough Zymol in the world for me to buy another black car...

Quick Reply: 911 black edition arbitrage?